Goal line offensive strategy

Rubes

Been wondering for a while about the Bills offensive strategy when they’re down inside the other team’s 5-yard line or so. Seems like they’ve had some troubles down there this season, and it puzzles me.

One of the best designed plays I’ve seen from this offense came last year during the away game at the Pats***. The Bills were inside the Pats*** 5-yard line, and the Bills ran two receivers to the left, one of whom was Dawson Knox. Allen ran a play-action bootleg to the left, and since he can outrun any LBs to that side, he created basically a 3-on-2 situation with the defense. All he had to do was read the two coverage defenders: if they stuck to the receivers, he just runs it in, and if one or both leaves the receiver to stop him, he just easily flips the ball to the open receiver for the TD. In this case, the defender on Knox came after Allen, and he sidearmed it to a wide open Knox.

It’s a brilliant design, mostly because Allen is so big, fast, and strong that he creates an almost indefensible play. All it takes is a decent play fake to freeze the LB on that side, and there’s almost nothing they can do to stop the TD.

So what the heck happened to this play? It could be me, but I don’t recall seeing it again after that. Until Sunday night. And it worked, just as well as it did before. Get Josh out of the pocket to a situation with a numbers advantage, and force the defense to choose their demise.

Now, I’m not advocating that we try this play every time we’re down inside the 5-yard line, but this play is so damn hard for defenses to cover I just can’t image that we don’t see them try this at least once every game or two. Even if it gets defenses to key on it, at least you’re potentially opening things up for a regular run between the tackles.

I’m sure the answer is that defenses are already keying on that play and are doing something to negate it, but not sure what that would be. I’m obviously no offensive coordinator.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Rubes said:

Been wondering for a while about the Bills offensive strategy when they’re down inside the other team’s 5-yard line or so. Seems like they’ve had some troubles down there this season, and it puzzles me.

One of the best designed plays I’ve seen from this offense came last year during the away game at the Pats***. The Bills were inside the Pats*** 5-yard line, and the Bills ran two receivers to the left, one of whom was Dawson Knox. Allen ran a play-action bootleg to the left, and since he can outrun any LBs to that side, he created basically a 3-on-2 situation with the defense. All he had to do was read the two coverage defenders: if they stuck to the receivers, he just runs it in, and if one or both leaves the receiver to stop him, he just easily flips the ball to the open receiver for the TD. In this case, the defender on Knox came after Allen, and he sidearmed it to a wide open Knox.

It’s a brilliant design, mostly because Allen is so big, fast, and strong that he creates an almost indefensible play. All it takes is a decent play fake to freeze the LB on that side, and there’s almost nothing they can do to stop the TD.

So what the heck happened to this play? It could be me, but I don’t recall seeing it again after that. Until Sunday night. And it worked, just as well as it did before. Get Josh out of the pocket to a situation with a numbers advantage, and force the defense to choose their demise.

Now, I’m not advocating that we try this play every time we’re down inside the 5-yard line, but this play is so damn hard for defenses to cover I just can’t image that we don’t see them try this at least once every game or two. Even if it gets defenses to key on it, at least you’re potentially opening things up for a regular run between the tackles.

I’m sure the answer is that defenses are already keying on that play and are doing something to negate it, but not sure what that would be. I’m obviously no offensive coordinator.

Saving it for the playoffs would be my guess. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Saving it for the playoffs would be my guess. 

I mean, I guess? I get the idea of surprising a team in the playoffs when needed, but they didn’t pull it out last year in the playoffs. And it’s such a hard play to defend, why not dare teams to prepare for it and keep trying it until someone figures it out? Then they can look at what that team did and see what kind of weakness it introduces to the defense.

12 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Naked Bootlegs have been the go-to down there all season as well as in down and short situations all year long.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

Naked Bootlegs have been the go-to down there all season as well as in down and short situations all year long.

My sense is that there is a difference between a regular naked bootleg and one where it’s down at the goal line with a design to get Josh into a situation where defenders have to choose. I don’t recall seeing that specific type of play this season. Josh may have tried a bootleg, but I don’t recall seeing that kind of option play.

Just now, Rubes said:

My sense is that there is a difference between a regular naked bootleg and one where it’s down at the goal line with a design to get Josh into a situation where defenders have to choose. I don’t recall seeing that specific type of play this season. Josh may have tried a bootleg, but I don’t recall seeing that kind of option play.

They all have that option. That's bootlegs by design. If the throw is there you take it, but if the defenders don't bite and play coverage you have the option to keep it.

14 minutes ago, Rubes said:

I mean, I guess? I get the idea of surprising a team in the playoffs when needed, but they didn’t pull it out last year in the playoffs. And it’s such a hard play to defend, why not dare teams to prepare for it and keep trying it until someone figures it out? Then they can look at what that team did and see what kind of weakness it introduces to the defense.

Idk.  That’s just my guess.  I agree, it’s a nice play.  Not sure why they wouldn’t use it

2 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

They all have that option. That's bootlegs by design. If the throw is there you take it, but if the defenders don't bite and play coverage you have the option to keep it.

Not always, no.

no need to risk Josh for these types of scores early in the season. we haven't need to risk it to score points agains tteams this year.

however, we did try to run something similar to this with Isiaih McKenzie against the Fish and Josh threw the ball right at the turf.

Edited by boyst

3 minutes ago, boyst said:

no need to risk Josh for these types of scores early in the season. we haven't need to risk it to score points agains tteams this year.

I suppose, though it doesn’t seem like the overriding strategy is to “not risk Josh” in other situations.

14 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Not always, no.

Yes, always... I get a lot of fans aren't in the know about X's and O's but that's something I'm sure you can google and find out...

EDIT: Here you go - I did the legwork for you. Picked the first thing that popped up when I googled it. If you don't want to read all of it here's the part where it discusses the option.

"The first option is almost always to throw the ball to an open receiver downfield.

They can either throw on the run to a receiver who is running a route in the same direction, or he can stop, plant his feet, and throw back across the field to a receiver running a deep route or a route toward the other side of the field.

Quarterbacks will also have the option of pulling the ball down and running with it."

Edited by HoofHearted

47 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Didn't they run the exact play against the Packers that Knox scored ???

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Rubes said:

I suppose, though it doesn’t seem like the overriding strategy is to “not risk Josh” in other situations.

im thinking it's josh's decision and risks when he does that. we have seen less designed runs and seem more risk averse when making play calls.

58 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Didn't they run the exact play against the Packers that Knox scored ???

Did you read the entire post?

1 hour ago, HoofHearted said:

Yes, always... I get a lot of fans aren't in the know about X's and O's but that's something I'm sure you can google and find out...

EDIT: Here you go - I did the legwork for you. Picked the first thing that popped up when I googled it. If you don't want to read all of it here's the part where it discusses the option.

"The first option is almost always to throw the ball to an open receiver downfield.

They can either throw on the run to a receiver who is running a route in the same direction, or he can stop, plant his feet, and throw back across the field to a receiver running a deep route or a route toward the other side of the field.

Quarterbacks will also have the option of pulling the ball down and running with it."

I’ve seen plenty of times when Josh runs a bootleg and the goal is to have him run for the first down with no receivers as an outlet.

I mean, perhaps the TV angle makes it so you can’t see a receiving option in view, but I am pretty confident that I’ve seen plays where there was a bootleg without a specific receiver in the field.

27 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

Yeah Josh runs past the DE #91, breaks that tackle and just flipped the ball to Knox 7 yards deep for the TD.

As I mentioned in the original post.

5 hours ago, Rubes said:

Did you read the entire post?

I’ve seen plenty of times when Josh runs a bootleg and the goal is to have him run for the first down with no receivers as an outlet.

I mean, perhaps the TV angle makes it so you can’t see a receiving option in view, but I am pretty confident that I’ve seen plays where there was a bootleg without a specific receiver in the field.

As I mentioned in the original post.

So I don't get it.  Are you then saying they just don't run the same play enough?  

Kelce scores on the little shovel pass from Mahommes almost 100% of the time, but that doesn't mean they run it every game.  

Have to keep the opposing defense guessing.  You can run a similar scheme but from a different formation too.  

Or you can score multiple ways.  The little WR screen to Diggs worked great last year. I have not seen them run that this year that I recall.  But this year he has already caught two TD passes on RPO's.

Fans get all caught up in play calling when 90% of it is execution.  

Run the ball better in the red-zone and that will open the passing game too.

48 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

So I don't get it.  Are you then saying they just don't run the same play enough?  

Kelce scores on the little shovel pass from Mahommes almost 100% of the time, but that doesn't mean they run it every game.  

Have to keep the opposing defense guessing.  You can run a similar scheme but from a different formation too.  

Or you can score multiple ways.  The little WR screen to Diggs worked great last year. I have not seen them run that this year that I recall.  But this year he has already caught two TD passes on RPO's.

Fans get all caught up in play calling when 90% of it is execution.  

Run the ball better in the red-zone and that will open the passing game too.

Yeah, I'm saying the last time I saw the play as described was last year in New England, worked perfectly. Then I didn't see it again until this past Sunday.

The play is so well designed that it's nearly impossible to defend. So why break it out once in a blue moon?

I've been talking about this for a while now.  Plays of the type the OP mentions should be the only thing we do down around the 5 yard line or closer.  Ball needs to be in Josh's hands and with a choice of running or passing.  He can't be stopped in those situations...at least not 3 or 4 times in a row.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.