What We Learned Week 6

corta765

NFL: Much has been made about the primetime games lately as we got treated to some horrendous Thursday night games back to back while there was frustration about the Chiefs Bills not being in the evening and in many respects the NFL is not at fault here. Before you click below enraged let me explain my defense of the NFL. When the schedule is put together the NFL goes through like 4000 different schedules before they finally get to the one they use and all types of factors are included ranging from a teams popularity, games that should be put at night, TV partner preference, team preference, intriguing player additions, etc... there is a lot of sh*t that has to be balanced. In the case of the Broncos I doubt anyone could have seen this torpedoing so hard as Russell Wilson statistically has never played so poorly and had Denver been doing great people would be mad they didn't put him and the Broncos on. In the case of the Bills Chiefs the prior two seasons the NFL has put Buffalo-KC on primetime with TNF and SNF. BUF-KC is a prime marquee game for CBS and while the NFL doesn't fully do CBS-AFC FOX-NFC they way they use to, it still gravitates that way. CBS probably had this as their #1 game protected for the year and after two years of not getting that game the NFL let them have their turn. Even so the 4:25 game actually gets more viewers then SNF or MNF as more people are awake and just one game was shown opposed to it. But CORTA they should just flex that game to Monday as we know that game stinks by comparison. Two things with that: if you are a fan who is going to either game you have made arrangements for travel, potentially lodging, and it may impact if you can even attend. This is in no way in the NFLs best interest to start swapping games this frequently which screws over the actual paying fans when already they are competing with fans who would rather stay home then go to games. Second the NFL actually is next year going to expand the flexing next year larger so games can be moved a bit more. I doubt KC-BUF would've been moved regardless as CBS got the game they wanted and the NFL wasn't changing it, but there will be other more marquee esq games that don't have that protection that will come about.

AFC

BAL- Third blown loss in the fourth quarter this season and Lamar was not stellar. They could have this division far under wraps and instead are giving CIN a wide open lane to take it.

BUF- The Matt Milano contract looks better every passing week and I will not be surprised if Edmunds gets resigned to something similar as his play has been sensational and complemented Matt very well.

CLE- Brissett has come back to earth but the real issue is the CLE defense which is in the doldrums of the NFL. The offense is producing quite well (4th overall in ypg), while the defense which was supposed to a be a strength is bottom 10 of the league. That will drop them faster from the playoff race then anything.

CIN-The Bengals and Burrow finally looked like everyone expected on offense as Jamar Chase went for 132 yds 7 rec and 2 TDs. Getting Chase involved weekly is paramount to how well this offense functions.

DEN- Their defense is top 3 in ypg and being wasted by an offense no one could have predicted being this bad. This season is basically sunk at this point and the main goal for Denver long term has to be finding a coach who will maximize Russell Wilson's best strengths if they have any hope of salvaging him in the future.

HOU- Bye week which allows their offense to draw up some new plays for David Mills who has regressed after a decent first year. Mills has went from averaging 6.8 yards per throw down to 6.3 and already has four INTs against just 5 TDs thrown.

IND- Big win against the Jags to crawl back to life and that was with Taylor out. They are at the Titans this week which with a win would amazingly get them back to 1st in the division. Zaire Franklin (LB) has been a revelation on defense leading the league with 66 tackles as IND has waited for Shaquille Leonard to return.

JAX- The Jags could be 4-2 right now but back to back losses against divisional opponents really hurt their playoff chances. Trevor Lawrence only threw the ball 22 times but went 20-22 for 166 yds and threw what looked to be the game winning TD with 2:43 to go. The Jags squad certainly is miles ahead of last year, but they look to need a bit more talent before fully competing.

KC- Tough loss to BUF but their defense played a pretty solid games given they were out their starting 2 CBs and still kept Buffalo to 24 pts. Defensive Coordinator Steve Spagnalloa has done a good job with this unit despite the holes it has.

LAC- They are tied for the division at 4-2 now with KC and have a manageable schedule with SEA, ATL, and SF before rematching with KC in a must win game if they want to take the division this year.

MIA- 3-0 to 3-3 is a tough fall for MIA whose depth has been exposed as injuries have mounted. The big issue is their offensive line is still a mess as no QB is getting time and they all have been hit a lot. Tuas return will help to get things moving again, but their playoff hopes rest more on their offensive line actually protecting their QBs, if that doesn't happen they are going to fall fast.

NE- Zappe/Jones QB controversy? Not yet as the new guy is always popular until things go bad for a game (ask Cooper Rush), but the offense has clearly played with more vibrancy and purpose since Zappe took over. I would expect Jones to take his spot back, but that leash is going to be tight if things don't go well.

NYJ- At 4-2 Jet fans are finally feeling some good vibes for the first time in forever. They are not world beaters and Zach Wilson has a lot of growth needed with just 1 passing TD vs 2 INTs. But the defense has really embraced Salehs scheme as they are top 10 in yards allowed in the NFL currently and the front four is making noise getting to the QB. They will be near the playoff picture come December which is huge growth in itself.

PIT- Steelers have too much pride to wilt this early in the season and they gave it to Brady Sunday. Trubisky came in relief Sunday and played on fire going 9-12 for 144 and a TD, but probably too little too late at this point with Pickett now having the reigns.

RAIDERS- The only savings grace for the Raiders is the AFC looking much weaker and the wildcard spots being potentially a 10 win team. The defense has to improve if they are going to make any type of run.

TEN- The Colts have crawled back to life the last few weeks so this weeks matchup is an opportunity to punch them back again. The Titans offense could use a WR addition at the deadline as they have not scored more then 24 pts in a game and after Robert Woods and with Burks out it is pretty dire.

NFC

ARZ- At 2-4 things are going sideways quickly as Hollywood Brown is now out for most of the season and the offense has not looked in sync once. They host the Saints Thursday in battle between two teams fighting to stay around the playoff race in what amounts almost an elimination game already.

ATL- The Falcons have become an extremely tough out and potentially would have the division lead if not for the atrocious Brady penalty. Marcus Mariota has been a steady hand on offense pacing for nearly 3700 yds combined and 24 TDs at QB. With CAR 2x, CHI, and WSH in their next 6 games they have a real opportunity to create a playoff chance for themselves.

CAR- The selloff has started with Robbie Anderson going to Arizona, but more blood with be shed. Brian Burns has been brought up as a guy to move, but letting go of a good young pass rusher when you are going to rebuild seems a bit heavy handed.

CHI- Watching Fields Thursday you can see the potential the kid has if he has anytime and anyone who can catch the ball. Back to back drops on the final two plays were killers, Chicago needs to overhaul tenfold in the offseason with proven pass catchers if they will ever realize Fields potential good or bad.

DAL- The defense finally had a let down as the Cowboys offense got the score to 20-17 with 14:39 left in the game before the Eagles went on a 13 play 75 yard drive to ice the game. Regardless with Dak returning and another matchup with PHI to come at home they can still control their destiny.

DET- Rookie Aiden Hutchinson has 3 sacks and 2 tackles for a loss in 5 games... the rest of the Lions defense have combined for just 4 sacks and 20 tackles for a loss. Additionally the Lions have just 2 INTs and 2 fumbles recovered. They will not improve until they get more game changing players on the defensive side that can make impact plays regardless of what the offense does.

GB- All the alarms are going off as the offense looks broke and the defense is not making enough impact plays. If there is a team that needs Odell Beckham or DJ Moore to open a passing game up it is Green Bay.

LAR- Small step forward as the offense looked a bit better and Allen Robinson finally made some plays. The division is not as strong as it looked to start the year it is a matter of if McVay can fix the offensive line enough to take pressure off Stafford so he can get things going.

MIN- They are 5-1 and escaped Miami with a 24-16 win.. they also punted 10 times. Perhaps it was due to playing a lesser QB in Skylar Thompson, but their offense keeps wasting its potential. Also it is fair to wonder if Thielen's best days have passed as he is on pace for just 804 yards which would be his worst season going back to 2015 and his yards per catch is also a career low at 9.8.

NOLA- Tough loss as they looked to have 3-3 in their grasp until Chase broke off a 60 yard TD at the end with poor tackling by all of the Saints defenders. Much was made of an improved Saints defense, but they rank 16th in yards allowed per game.

NYG- Saquon Barkley is on pace for 1745 yards on the season which would be the most rushing going back to AP in Minnesota in 2012. On the defensive side their front 7 is getting home with 13 sacks, 24 tackles for a loss, and 11 forced fumbles, they also are 8th in pass yards allowed. While the Giants outside of running the ball don't do anything spectacular, the impact of quality coaching is noticeable.

PHI- The Eagles offense had another good game and Jalen Hurts made a lot of plays on the way to victory. Sign of warning though, Hurts is on pace for taking over 40 sacks and at some point all of those hits will add up if it continues this much.

SEA- Probably the most surprisingly 3-3 team in the league as their defense shutdown the Cardinals to just 9 pts Sunday. Still allowing 410 yards per game will eventually catch them as that is not sustainable long term.

SF-They are 3-3 and lost to the Falcons but are second in point differential in the NFC at +33. Nothing makes sense with this team and they will probably win now Sunday against the Chiefs 40-27 with the way everything is.

TB- The offense looks like a shell of the past two years and even with players returning healthy its really off. Blame falls directly to Brady's feet who went to Bob Krafts wedding Friday before the game instead of hanging back and maybe working on the upcoming matchup. He may have all the accolades in the world, but he has been a poor leader this year and the frustration is real as for Brady being mortal isn't that fun.

WSH- The best news for WSH fans is that NFL owners are finally starting to press on Snyder to sell or they may force him out as a group. 24 yay votes are need for Snyder to be forced to sell, the recent news seems to be the owners politely telling him to do so on his own.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

We continue to learn of the incredible mediocrity and parity around the league!

1. Eagles
2. Bills
3. Chiefs
4. Vikings
5. Bengals
6. Giants
7. Chargers
8. Bucs
9. 49ers
10. Ravens
11. Jets
12. Cowboys
13. Rams
14. Packers
15. Titans
16. Patriots
17. Colts
18. Falcons
19. Dolphins
20. Seahawks
21. Jaguars
22. Saints
23. Broncos
24. Steelers
25. Raiders
26. Browns
27. Cardinals
28. Lions
29. Commanders
30. Bears
31. Texans
32. Panthers

Edited by Airseven
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

What I have learned so far this season is that QB play is atrocious league wide. Coaching is often times hysterically bad.

And I don't think I have seen as many kickers injured and missing games in 40 years of watching the NFL COMBINED as I have this one season. Truly the oddest thing I have ever seen. Somebody wrap T-Bass in bubble wrap for the bye week, please.

4 hours ago, Airseven said:

We continue to learn of the incredible mediocrity and parity around the league!

1. Eagles
2. Bills
3. Chiefs
4. Vikings
5. Bengals
6. Giants
7. Chargers
8. Bucs
9. 49ers
10. Ravens
11. Jets
12. Cowboys
13. Rams
14. Packers
15. Titans
16. Patriots
17. Colts
18. Falcons
19. Dolphins
20. Seahawks
21. Jaguars
22. Saints
23. Broncos
24. Steelers
25. Raiders
26. Browns
27. Cardinals
28. Lions
29. Commanders
30. Bears
31. Texans
32. Panthers

There is no way the Eagles should ever be ranked ahead of the Bills

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

There is no way the Eagles should ever be ranked ahead of the Bills

To be honest, the Eagles shouldn’t be ahead of the Chiefs either. Bills and Chiefs are by far the best teams in the NFL. Outside of that, it’s a pretty steep drop IMO. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm seeing this "Super Bowl or Bust" term quite a lot.

Now, to me, this means we either get to the Super Bowl or everything goes to crap. But is the way the organisation is now run and how the team is set up and coached mean even if we fall short of the SB we'll be contending again next year? Not a lot will "bust". 

It's "Super Bowl or extreme disappointment" to me at this stage. 

Edited by BritBill

6 minutes ago, BritBill said:

I'm seeing this "Super Bowl or Bust" term quite a lot.

Now, to me, this means we either get to the Super Bowl or everything goes to crap. But is the way the organisation is now run and how the team is set up and coached mean even if we fall short of the SB we'll be contending again next year? Not a lot will "bust". 

It's "Super Bowl or extreme disappointment" to me at this stage. 

I think that's what they are referring to is the mindset of the team/people watching.  Basically if the Bills don't make it to the SB this year it will be a huge disappointment at this stage.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

Good. Give that money to Gabe instead.

I agree, if it comes done to Edmunds and Davis you have to pay Davis...he plays a key role on this offense and is legit the best deep ball receiver in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

I think that's what they are referring to is the mindset of the team/people watching.  Basically if the Bills don't make it to the SB this year it will be a huge disappointment at this stage.

To me it has SB or bust since last year and I have no problem with that expectation. They have maybe the best player in the NFL with an extremely talented roster. The QB will be at this peak for the next decade and the roster will be pretty decent. That doesn't mean with that expectation I actually expect a SB every year, rather that the standard is that given the talent and QB. I really enjoyed last year despite the loss in the postseason so even though expectations are very high it still is super fun.

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Kind of crazy but to me if we get to the SB, then it has to be win only. We get there and lose, the stigma of 0 & 5 would be awful.  I was a fan thru the 4 lossea, and much farther back than that. Got to win it this time. The losses were gut wrenching with 3 of them blowouts

41 minutes ago, BritBill said:

I enjoyed reading the AFC part of the original post. Then realised I’ve got tickets for Broncos v Jags next weekend. 

Let us know how Lawrence looks. He started the season decent and has been uneven.

Otherwise godspeed haha

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.