So You Wanna Be an NFL QB?

ExiledInIllinois

5 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

Minkah was actually a coverage player on that play. He had combo coverage on the back. When he stepped up away from him that's what gave him the ability to rush the pass since he became a free player.

I think by "he" here you mean Singletary, who took a gap in pass protection?  I agree, but the beer offer still stands - once Fitzpatrick reads it's a pass play, I bet the film would show he almost always blitzes.

Oh well, he was late to the fair so no harms.  But I do think something is going on with Saffold and the line.

Just now, Beck Water said:

I think by "he" here you mean Singletary, who took a gap in pass protection?  I agree, but the beer offer still stands - once Fitzpatrick reads it's a pass play, I bet the film would show he almost always blitzes.

Oh well, he was late to the fair so no harms.  But I do think something is going on with Saffold and the line.

Depends on what the back does. If Singletary had released to his side he would have manned him.

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

It all looks SO MUCH CLOSER on that video.

TV has a way of making a football stadium appear about 4 times bigger than it is.

I'll never forget my first visit to Rich Stadium as a kid. I was amazed at how small it all looked to me.

Yeah it's much more constrained than it appears on TV.   But I find the live experience in the NFL is closer to what you see on TV than MLB and the NBA.    The baseball is practically invisible it's moving so fast and there is basically ZERO room to operate on an NBA floor with all those giants on the court and you wouldn't know that from television broadcasts.

43 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

Depends on what the back does. If Singletary had released to his side he would have manned him.

Sure, but isn't that how that particular delayed blitz play is designed?  I'm sure there's a correct term for this sort of blitz, which I don't know.

What I see is that at the snap, 39 (Fitzpatrick) and 51 (Myles Jack) are both in position to defend the run, pick up the back in pass defense if he releases, or blitz.  If Singletary releases to Jack's side, Fitzpatrick can blitz.  If he releases to Fitzpatrick's side, Jack can blitz. 

We keep both the TE and the back in to protect, so we theoretically have a "hat on a hat" except that Saffold moves on.

I mean, the play worked, so I dunno as a fan how worthwhile it is second-guessing it, I just have the fundamental sense the protections didn't work they way they should have.  I understand your explanation of the slide protection and who is responsible for what gap, I just have the "something not right here" feels.

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Sure, but isn't that how that particular delayed blitz play is designed?  I'm sure there's a correct term for this sort of blitz, which I don't know.

What I see is that at the snap, 39 (Fitzpatrick) and 51 (Myles Jack) are both in position to defend the run, pick up the back in pass defense if he releases, or blitz.  If Singletary releases to Jack's side, Fitzpatrick can blitz.  If he releases to Fitzpatrick's side, Jack can blitz. 

We keep both the TE and the back in to protect, so we theoretically have a "hat on a hat" except that Saffold moves on.

I mean, the play worked, so I dunno as a fan how worthwhile it is second-guessing it, I just have the fundamental sense the protections didn't work they way they should have.  I understand your explanation of the slide protection and who is responsible for what gap, I just have the "something not right here" feels.

It's just called an add-on.

🤷‍♂️ Don't know what else to tell ya here.

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah it's much more constrained than it appears on TV.   But I find the live experience in the NFL is closer to what you see on TV than MLB and the NBA.    The baseball is practically invisible it's moving so fast and there is basically ZERO room to operate on an NBA floor with all those giants on the court and you wouldn't know that from television broadcasts.

interestingly, I feel that hockey seems LESS constrained live than watching it on TV.

4 hours ago, HoofHearted said:

It's just called an add-on.

🤷‍♂️ Don't know what else to tell ya here.

Don’t think there’s anything.  You kindly explained what the call was and how it’s supposed to work.

If I gotcha, the moment Fitzpatrick stepped back, Saffold was correct to look off to his L to help Dawkins and Morse was supposed to pass off (I think) Cam Hayward to Bates and pick up Fitzpatrick.

Everyone expressing an opinion appears to think it was the correct protection call and in fact the pass was completed so “no dent, no deal”

6 hours ago, RiotAct said:

interestingly, I feel that hockey seems LESS constrained live than watching it on TV.

Hockey is so much better live than on TV. I think that's the only sport I really feel like that about. I enjoy going to football or basketball games, but the TV broadcast gives different angles, gives you replays and analysis, etc.

Sooo... Glad it worked, this bodes well for rest of season.   Teach the other teams NOT to blitz their safety. Fitzpatrick if in coverage,  Josh probably steps up, rushes there... Coverage sack/safety is devastating there. Sets tone for game AND rest of season!

usa_today_19205601.0.jpg

What a dagger...Teams will be on edge now.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.