Can someone PLEASE explain the holding rules to me like I'm 8?

Pine Barrens Mafia

1 minute ago, Billz4ever said:

If my only job was to call things like this and I'm missing calls this obvious, I would get fired.  These were obvious holds that everyone on TV were watching in real time with refs right there and no call.  They can penalize referee squads and the amount of bad calls in this game seriously warrants such action.

FeF9mmoX0AM2bo4.jpeg

Keep crying and posting your SS.  I bet you are also one that thinks playing in the sun was unfair last week.  End of the day if you are down to complaining about the refs in a very even called football game I dont know what else to tell you

• Sad 1

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Completely agree, specially with the fact the league just puts more and more on these guys instead of using technology to take some off them.  Like for example WHY does the back judge STILL have to look at the play clock.  A simple little Buzzer makes it easy.  Why are they still using taped chains to see about 10 yards.  so much stuff could be offloaded from these guys and the NFL refuses to do it 

And are constantly changing the rules and telling officials to emphasize and de-emphasize things during the course of the year...they have a LOT more on their plate that most fans realize.

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

For both teams.  Meaning then a level playing field.  Yep give me that because then my better team SHOULD win if there is a level playing field.

No, that's not a "level playing field" because not all penalties are the same and when and where they are called and where they are NOT CALLED makes a huge difference. 

You seem to want to defend these refs for a terrible game.  This squad should have disciplinary actions taken against them for such a badly called game.

Just now, Big Turk said:

And are constantly changing the rules and telling officials to emphasize and de-emphasize things during the course of the year...they have a LOT more on their plate that most fans realize.

Agree and the fact they are so right so often it is amazing.  I stopped complaining about the Refs long ago because the reality is they are in an impossible situation and 99.9% of the time they nail it.

59 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

How about the roughing the Passer call on Josh Allen late in the game?

That's about as ticky tack as it gets, though josh sold it well. 

WHile it was ticky tack....would you also say that about the MIlano late hit where Tua banged his head?  For me these were similar in that for both the defender had the ability not NOT initiate contact after the ball was out but chose to anyway.   That is part of what the NFL has put in to protect the QB's, if you can avoid contact you need to.  For me, both were penalties with how the rule is written and intended.

Just now, Billz4ever said:

No, that's not a "level playing field" because not all penalties are the same and when and where they are called and where they are NOT CALLED makes a huge difference. 

You seem to want to defend these refs for a terrible game.  This squad should have disciplinary actions taken against them for such a badly called game.

Sure ok are you crying about the terrible OPI that went against the ravens when they were going into score.  Yes or No?

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Keep crying and posting your SS.  I bet you are also one that thinks playing in the sun was unfair last week.  End of the day if you are down to complaining about the refs in a very even called football game I dont know what else to tell you

LMAO, I post a pic of a clearly obvious hold and this dude is defending the zebras like his Dad is the referee.

57 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

It was. But if you have the ability to avoid contact with a QB, a defender is required to. I think the defender showed the ref he could have when he paused. His reengagement and then the hit, grayed the situation and the official decided to then make the call. IMO, the pause and reengagement is what cost the defender the call. And Josh did sell it well, but of course, Josh probably saw the pause and reengagement as well. That's what I want Josh doing in those situations.

1 minute ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I can live with this being a no call. OT has arms on his body and then the DE dips. 

As long as it is called evenly for both teams, I am fine with letting them play.

And it was called evenly all game 

Just now, Billz4ever said:

LMAO, I post a pic of a clearly obvious hold and this dude is defending the zebras like his Dad is the referee.

So tell me Did they blow the OPI should that have been called yes or no.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Billz4ever said:

and this

FeF9mmoX0AM2bo4.jpeg

The crazy thing about this no call is it wasn’t lost in the sauce. It was a one-on-one in open field, near the QB, with Lamar holding the ball. That’s a layup holding call that they missed

Edited by VaMilBill

1 hour ago, CountDorkula said:

Made up for the non-call for a hit on a defenseless receiver on McKenzie when Ja'Quan Johnson gets flagged for it last week on a play where he clearly is attempting to pull up, turns his body to minimize contact and doesn't hit him in the head, all while Edmonds is moving forward while falling down meaning the contact was pretty much unavoidable. If Ja'Quan gets called for that, how does the hit on McKenzie not qualify?

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Agree and the fact they are so right so often it is amazing.  I stopped complaining about the Refs long ago because the reality is they are in an impossible situation and 99.9% of the time they nail it.

The only thing I would like to see a little bit better is more consistency between crews.  Like some will call DPI and defensive holding more than other crews while those crews will call offensive holding more than them...

It's kind of like almost learning the official crews and their tendencies going into the games to let you know what you can get away with and what you will get flagged for.  

But I guess it's no different than umpire strike zones and how they al are somewhat different and pitchers and hitters have to know what is going to get called and what won't.

The game that really irritated me with that was the KC-Buffalo AFCG where KC defenders basically were committing a defensive penalty almost every play against our WR's and nothing was being called. Kinda like they pulled that out from the Legion of Boom days in Seattle where they used to do the same thing because they knew eventually the refs would stop calling them.

Edited by Big Turk

8 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

don you have any photo links to share or are you going to keep telling stories ? 

5 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

It was. But if you have the ability to avoid contact with a QB, a defender is required to. I think the defender showed the ref he could have when he paused. His reengagement and then the hit, grayed the situation and the official decided to then make the call. IMO, the pause and reengagement is what cost the defender the call. And Josh did sell it well, but of course, Josh probably saw the pause and reengagement as well. That's what I want Josh doing in those situations.

Josh took a number of hits which were 50/50 calls on being late.  I think the entire second half was a makeup call campaign that screwed the Ravens.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

The only thing I would like to see a little bit better is more consistency between crews.  Like some will call DPI and defensive holding more than other crews while those crews will call offensive holding more than them...

It's kind of like almost learning the official crews and their tendencies going into the games to let you know what you can get away with and what you will get flagged for.  

But I guess it's no different than umpire strike zones and how they al are somewhat different and pitchers and hitters have to know what is going to get called and what won't.

Yep as long as humans are involved to get total consistency is hard.  Also you ever notice the amount of missed holds during games has gone up the more the NFL puts on the Head Ref in terms of QB Safety?  Maybe it is time to add to crews as well.  Hard to have the one guy that is responsible for the line play also be the sole guy responsible for all the QB safety and QB penalty stuff.

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

Josh took a number of hits which were 50/50 calls on being late.  I think the entire second half was a makeup call campaign that screwed the Ravens.  

Which is equally sucky. Don't know why it's so hard to call the easy ones and so easy to call the bad ones

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

don you have any photo links to share or are you going to keep telling stories ? 

I will keep having conversations.  Try it sometime.

My Biggest complaint with the Refs will remain blowing the call not ONCE but doing it again in REPLAY.  

Lamar easily had that 1st down, now it didnt matter they got it on 4th and 1.  But when you have two looks at something and STILL get it wrong that is the problem.  And why anytime anyone mentions challenging the SPOT I scream NO.  They NEVER change spots in review even it is clearly should be.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.