Congrats to Jessica Pegula

BisonMan

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

If you are consistently reaching the quarterfinals of majors, you're clear above the average line. 

Thank you, that is simple and true. You don’t make the quarters with one good stroke. You don’t even win in club tennis with one stroke.

How many of these people posting have played or seen tennis live at a high level? If you’ve only seen it on TV, you have no idea how good the BAD players are! 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

If you had actually said that previously, we wouldn't still be talking about how many "majors" she "won" (your words).  But it also would not have been a meaningful rebuttal to the guy who said she won't (actual) win one. 

I said victories in Majors. That is matches, not titles. I’m not going back to find the exact quote, but I even edited it for people unfamiliar with tennis who would not know what that means. Show me where I said titles, please. 

You asked which ones she won. That sounds like someone who is not very familiar with professional tennis, or a snarky comment. Maybe you shouldn’t take such a firm and argumentative position without better understanding. I took the first post by you as snark. I apologize. You just don’t know what you are talking about when it comes to tennis. I assumed a higher level of understanding, hence my snarky perception, so that’s my bad. Again, I edited the post so hopefully those with zero idea about tour tennis can understand.

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

I said victories in Majors. That is matches, not titles. I’m not going back to find the exact quote, but I even edited it for people unfamiliar with tennis who would not know what that means. Show me where I said titles, please. 

You asked which ones she won. That sounds like someone who is not very familiar with professional tennis, or a snarky comment. Maybe you shouldn’t take such a firm and argumentative position without better understanding. I took the first post by you as snark. I apologize. You just don’t know what you are talking about when it comes to tennis. I assumed a higher level of understanding, hence my snarky perception, so that’s my bad. Again, I edited the post so hopefully those with zero idea about tour tennis can understand.

You edited that in an hour after I replied. My reply wasn't snark.  

EVERYONE familiar with tennis understands what "winning a major means".  Well....almost everyone.

continue on your higher plane of understanding......

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

You edited that in an hour after I replied. My reply wasn't snark.  

EVERYONE familiar with tennis understands what "winning a major means".  Well....almost everyone.

continue on your higher plane of understanding......

I explained it well before then, like almost immediately in a responding post. You just wanted to keep arguing. To be fair, your first question was in fact a question, but your reputation precedes you. My bad if I assumed too much knowledge and took your question the wrong way. I thought it was clear the very first time, without edit.  I don’t argue NASCAR with anyone.  

Regardless, we have a football game tonight. Let’s focus on that. 

1 minute ago, Maynard said:

Who is she engaged to? 

I think she actually got married. Could be wrong there. Must be a tough lifestyle with all the travel. Wish her all the best in every aspect of her life. It takes a special person to have that level of drive given that she could probably  live a cushier lifestyle if desired. We’ve known tour players, and it’s a serious grind! 

• Haha (+1) 1

Ok, I had a bizarre and intense dream last night, and I blame @Augie for this, lol!

I was a player at the Australian Open (wtf? I don't even play tennis and am not really a fan), and NBC had the broadcast. We had an introductory meeting with all players in the NBC mobile televison control room  Similar to Jimmy Arias and Jessica Pegula, I had never won a Grand Slam and was thankful Novak Djokovich wasn't there since I didn't want to face him, as I knew he would be tough for me to beat. They drew random numbers and assigned me to some other dude for my doubles partner (wtf?). We also got our room assignments in the dorm for the tournament, and I was assigned to the Memorial Aud in Buffalo (wtf?). Somehow, the tournament was being played in Saudi Arabia (another wtf?). Bob Costas (not Chris Collinsworth) and Marv Albert were there and were set to call the match (didn't @OZZBILLS mention Marv Albert in one of the GDT'shere yesterday, and I lol'ed at the comment? That's why I dreamed of him).

At the same time, I was on the Bills, and we had just acquired Von Miller after Denver got him right before us in last year's draft. He then chose to come to Buffalo in his second year and planned to have us win the SB. Instead of Miller, AJ Epenesa fell to us in the first round since Denver had a clerical error on their big board, marking him as a pine player. With both Miller and Epenesa now, our D-Line would be dominant.

Back at the NBC TV mobile studios at the Australian Open, it was late and I hadn't eaten. They had a pizza party for the players (and I actually commented about pizza here in that game day food thread someone started a few days ago) and I grabbed a slice. It was late at night and my doubles partrner looked at me and was like "are you going to bed? we have a match tomorrow". So I realized I had better get some sleep since it was going to be morning in Australia sooner than it usually is for me...then I woke up.

On 9/8/2022 at 5:55 AM, BisonMan said:

For reaching the Quarterfinals of the US Open this week before losing a close match to World #1 Ida Swiatek. She is now the top ranked American in Women’s tennis at #8. She also has a very Buffalo way to hydrate during the post-match press conference!

Labatt's work better for peeing purposes

• 1 month later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.