Clarification on Spencer Brown injury

YoloinOhio

On 7/29/2022 at 6:30 AM, Matt_In_NH said:

Obviously we dont know the seriousness but back surgeries are generally not too good for football players.

Yep.  And a 24-year old having back surgery is just crazy.  It's not a good sign...

I'm disappointed like everyone else, for all the same reasons.  But a back issue is not an unusual problem for a tall guy.  

I've had multiple back problems and two surgeries of different types.   Both were completely successful.   The most recent was seven or eight years ago.  It was your basic disc problem, and the surgical techniques are so advanced that they have really high success rates - the vast majority of people have 100% recoveries.   If that what Brown had, it's good news, and I'd guess what's going on now is that his rehab has involved work to develop core strength, which is what's necessary to keep the problem from recurring.   He's probably been doing that work for a few months, and the Bills are being very cautious with him.  

But it could have been a variety of other things from which recovery is not so quick and where some problems remain that he has to live with.  If that's the case, he may always be a somewhat unreliable answer at right tackle, because he could be out of the lineup as often as he's in it.   

There's simply no way for us to tell what's going with him.  

The good news is that he's able to be in camp and do some of the work.   The learning curve for all rookies is steep - running backs get up quickly, offensive linemen often take years.  Their biggest leap, however, is in year one, and Brown made that leap.  That means that although Brown certainly needs reps, just being in camp, listening, watching, and working on what he can, is helping him continue up the curve.  So, there's reason to be optimistic, but we won't know until he either gets back into the lineup or doesn't.  

On 7/31/2022 at 7:24 AM, richardb1952 said:

Though I'd rather have Brown practicing, it does give the Bills the opportunity to see if they have an adequate replacement in training camp vs during the season.  Let's hope for the best for Brown, Crowder, and Tre.  I'm glad that other players are getting the opportunity to shine. It pays to have "reliable" depth.

The issue on OL is not about having depth but that we dont have a handle on high quality starters. 

Brown is an important piece. If his back was bothering him last season then its commendable what he did as a rookie. 

Can we have a resident doc like @DrPJax to diagnose what little data we have on Brown?

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/29/2022 at 10:00 AM, Process said:

Yea...im concerned about the RT spot. Even if he bounces back from the injury, we still don't know if he's actually a good starter or not. He was a mess at times last year. 

And depth across the o line is pretty poor. 

Depth across O -lines League wide is pretty poor, has been for quite some time, 

I’m gonna remain positive on our starting five, they’re gonna do just fine this season  🤞 

Go Bills!!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.