Wimbledon Final

RaoulDuke79

24 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Just stinks that Rafa had to pull out. I think he would have won the whole thing. 

Terrible shame, as I root for Rafa as hard as I root against Djokovic. I admit the Joker has carried himself better in recent years, but he’s still the same self-centered guy I never loved. 

As for Kyrgios, I have no idea what his mental state is, so I can’t judge. I don’t know what’s going on with his rantings on the court, or with the reported addiction issues. I wish him well and admit he’s surprisingly engaging and likable in the right situation. I hope he finds his way and can make the most of his God given talent and, more importantly, his life. 

22 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Just stinks that Rafa had to pull out. I think he would have won the whole thing. 

I think this is Novak's 4th consecutive Wimbledon which is pretty impressive. Between him and Nadal. They're blowing everyone away with the number of majors won.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I think this is Novak's 4th consecutive Wimbledon which is pretty impressive. Between him and Nadal. They're blowing everyone away with the number of majors won.

Not so fast, don’t forget Federer, my personal favorite after having run into him at a tournament in Miami. He has 20 Majors, and he’s a great guy by all accounts. 

What surprises me the most is Serena, arguably the most dominant athlete of all time in any sport, “only” has 23 Majors, one more than Rafa. That doesn’t seem right! It seems she wins every other one! 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Not so fast, don’t forget Federer, my personal favorite after having run into him at a tournament in Miami. He has 20 Majors, and he’s a great guy by all accounts. 

What surprises me the most is Serena, arguably the most dominant athlete of all time in any sport, “only” has 23 Majors, one more than Rafa. That doesn’t seem right! It seems she wins every other one! 

Federer is a class act. He's retired though right? The other two are still playing and at a high level. I suspect they'll collect a few more.

He seemed to just implode at critical times, and rather than focusing on whether he thought his coach/family box was cheering loudly enough for him, MAYbe he should have gotten prepared on getting just one more point when he had *several* situations of being up 40-0 on Djokovich and then losing.

Another case of multi-million dollar talent, and a 10 cent head.

1 minute ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Federer is a class act. He's retired though right? The other two are still playing and at a high level. I suspect they'll collect a few more.

I’m not sure if he’s “officially” retired, but if not he’s just loitering on the 18th green. He’s my all-time favorite. 

We used to go to Miami for the Sony/Lipton/Erickson/Miami Open. Just minutes and about 20 feet after watching Serena and family act like complete trash on a practice court (cussing like a sailor at her hitting partner and crushing racquets left and right, all while dad strode around scowling at the crowd - all with the fence lined with 5 year old kids), Roger walked by laughing and smiling with dozens of little kids in tow. He was rubbing their floppy hair and they were all having a great time. 

I know greatness often comes with an edge, but the contrast that day amazed me. Roger is my #1 all-time. I really like Nadal, and part of that is how he called out Djokovic when he said Federer was no big deal. At the time Roger had a serious lead in Majors, like 12-0 over Djokovic, and Rafa said something to point that out. 

In order, I think my favorites are Federer, Nadal and Sampras as a close #3. I respect his tennis, but the Joker is not I’m my top 10. He’s the Aaron Rodgers of tennis, a self centered prima donna  who has learned to put up a better face, but it’s still not genuine, IMO. 

25 minutes ago, UConn James said:

He seemed to just implode at critical times, and rather than focusing on whether he thought his coach/family box was cheering loudly enough for him, MAYbe he should have gotten prepared on getting just one more point when he had *several* situations of being up 40-0 on Djokovich and then losing.

Another case of multi-million dollar talent, and a 10 cent head.

I assume you are aware of his well documented history with mental health and addiction issues. I respectfully won’t dismiss that with a with a 10 cent head description. 

https://www.eurosport.com/tennis/andy-murray-expressed-concern-after-noticing-evidence-of-self-harm-on-nick-kyrgios-body-says-austral_sto9029425/story.shtml

He certainly makes me wonder, but I’m proud of him for a great tournament. He has the game to beat Djokovic, he just need that 6 inches between his ears to get in line. 

Edited by Augie

2 hours ago, Augie said:

Terrible shame, as I root for Rafa as hard as I root against Djokovic. I admit the Joker has carried himself better in recent years, but he’s still the same self-centered guy I never loved. 

As for Kyrgios, I have no idea what his mental state is, so I can’t judge. I don’t know what’s going on with his rantings on the court, or with the reported addiction issues. I wish him well and admit he’s surprisingly engaging and likable in the right situation. I hope he finds his way and can make the most of his God given talent and, more importantly, his life. 

I am just a huge Rafa fan. Love his game, how he plays, the respect for his opponents. 

I know you are a Federer fan. I always liked him too. And I don’t mind Joker. But from a style perspective, just have always enjoyed Rafa more. 

3 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I am just a huge Rafa fan. Love his game, how he plays, the respect for his opponents. 

I know you are a Federer fan. I always liked him too. And I don’t mind Joker. But from a style perspective, just have always enjoyed Rafa more. 

Love Rafa as well, and him adding one while taking one away from Djokovic would have felt good. Oh well, I can live with wide right, so I can live with this. We love our sports, and sports are just entertainment. 

I just hope Rafa is 100% and gets the US Open. 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

9 hours ago, Augie said:

8 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

7 hours ago, Augie said:

I’m not sure if he’s “officially” retired, but if not he’s just loitering on the 18th green. He’s my all-time favorite. 

I know greatness often comes with an edge, but the contrast that day amazed me. Roger is my #1 all-time. I really like Nadal, and part of that is how he called out Djokovic when he said Federer was no big deal. At the time Roger had a serious lead in Majors, like 12-0 over Djokovic, and Rafa said something to point that out. 

In order, I think my favorites are Federer, Nadal and Sampras as a close #3. I respect his tennis, but the Joker is not I’m my top 10. He’s the Aaron Rodgers of tennis, a self centered prima donna  who has learned to put up a better face, but it’s still not genuine, IMO. 

7 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

7 hours ago, Augie said:

Love Rafa as well, and him adding one while taking one away from Djokovic would have felt good. Oh well, I can live with wide right, so I can live with this. We love our sports, and sports are just entertainment. 

I just hope Rafa is 100% and gets the US Open. 

Federer, Nadal and Djokovic have won 63 of the last 76 majors.

59 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I won my bet (3-1 Novak) but Nick K is hilarious to watch. He is out of his mind but it makes for good tv.  Dude could be an all time great if he could channel his emotions. 

I completely disagree that he makes for good tv.  I can't stand the constant screaming after EVERY point.

The disrespect to every one is also terrible to watch.  I would rather not watch a person act like a lunatic, especially after the allegations that have come out with his ex-girlfriend.  It's honestly disgusting to think if he acts like this way on TV, what he is doing in private.  

I hope I never have to watch him again.  If those allegations are true, he should be banned from every event.

7 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Federer, Nadal and Djokovic have won 63 of the last 76 majors.

Per Dan Patrick, 71 of the last 76 Major finals has had at least one of these guys in it. That’s incredible! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.