Saints-Eagles Trade Draft Picks

Process

25 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Folks said that a lot about 2017 too.

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/years/2013

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/years/2017

I am thinking that 2013 was worse, but I'm willing to listen to reason. :) 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

But it lacks those blue chippers. Which is why you see a guy like Travon Walker who is all measurables and potential rather than production suddenly talked about as a possible top 5 pick. Exactly the same happened in 2013 when the likes of Dion Jordan and Ziggy Ansah got overdrafted in the top 5 based on what they "could be" not what they were. 

Agree 100%!!!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Agreed. If they get up to pick five, which they now have the ammo to do, they not only likely get their choice of QBs, they also get to prevent their division rival from potentially getting whatever QB they pick. 

Only question I have is whether it's Willis or Pickett.

Willis has the most upside potential of the QBs in the draft. I'm sure the teams that were in the Watson hunt could be eyeing him. I wouldn't be shocked if Seattle leap frogged a few teams to get him at #5 in a trade with the Giants. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they used their 1st next year.

However, I don't see anyone in this draft worth it

Agreed. Unfortunately for Matt Rhule, he may not have the luxury of waiting til next year.

If I was Rhule (actually, I kind of am. My name is Matt Rule), I’d rather have Mayfield than Pickett or Willis.

I think Mayfield would lead that Panthers roster to the playoffs in year 1, which would buy Rhule more time as head coach.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Putin said:

San Fran gave up 3 first round picks last year to get the QB they wanted, is it possible Saints are trying to get enough ammo to move up and get Malik Willis ? 

It's possible the Saints are a question mark without Peyton though. Yet think they lost a good one in Armstead and think they'd better suited staying where they are and grab best OT left on the board as imagine a QB will fall to them. 

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they used their 1st next year.

However, I don't see anyone in this draft worth it

if they feel the conviction to do it they should. I like pickett, and living in Car I watch a lot of them on the 2nd smaller tv.... would really like to see KP end up here. Car was a dumpster fire the last half of season, but easy to forget they were tough until Darnold imploded. Think Kenny could help them get closer to their means

17 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Clever move by the Saints.

They know they are going to be too far over the cap to even participate in the draft in 2023 and 2024 so getting picks while the getting is still good.

But according to some the salary cap doesn't exist ?  

1 hour ago, ddaryl said:

But according to some the salary cap doesn't exist ?  

Yeah,  I kid............but if some team is going to get themselves in a position where they can't do the math to get themselves under the salary cap.............and challenge the league on what they are going about it..........its definitely the New Orleans Saints.    

The league isn't going to not let them play just because they are over the cap.    

The players association won't let the league force the Saints to not play players that they have under contract.

The one thing we do know is that draft penalties have always been noted........and it makes sense as it is one thing the league can control.

So what if the Saints decide to clear their future cap in 2025 and go into a season $150M over the cap?

If the punishment is just one season of no draft picks...........that sure as hell beats the kind of tear down that the Bills did in the early 2000's.

It will be interesting to follow because that is definitely the direction the Saints are going..........they haven't changed their spots one bit despite mounting future debt.   

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.