Spitballing on RB target for Bills

MAJBobby

So since McKissic went back to DC. And then Fournette starting to be linked in rumors I started thinking and looking at history. 

So Bills have made it seem a habit that they will get players they targeted at trade deadlines. 

Diggs - acquired next offseason Trade 

Sanders - Signed UFA

Miller - Signed UFA 

lesser Saffold - tried to sign him one UFA period. 

so I was looking around. There are reports of the Bills tried to Trade for Melvin Gordon in past. Tried to sign him in the past. 

could that be the RB and not Fournette (as all the rumors have been wrong on player but right on position). 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

So since McKissic went back to DC. And then Fournette starting to be linked in rumors I started thinking and looking at history. 

So Bills have made it seem a habit that they will get players they targeted at trade deadlines. 

Diggs - acquired next offseason Trade 

Sanders - Signed UFA

Miller - Signed UFA 

lesser Saffold - tried to sign him one UFA period. 

so I was looking around. There are reports of the Bills tried to Trade for Melvin Gordon in past. Tried to sign him in the past. 

could that be the RB and not Fournette (as all the rumors have been wrong on player but right on position). 

Doubt it. Gordon was available and they made a deal with McKissic. I also don't see them signing a name or anyone that takes carries away from Singletary. When Singletary was the primary ball carrier, he looked the best he ever has, closing out the season.

They're looking for someone who can be a good receiving back and a good blocker on some 3rd downs and when Singletary needs a breather. Probably closer to a Darrel Williams type FA. 

And Beane said he's offering opportunity to increase your stock for the following season over money now as "they're right up on it (the salary cap)". So unless Gordon's okay with taking minimum pay and a small role taking a backseat to Singletary - I don't see it.

• Agree 1

The Bills new they were losing Beasley and they were trying to replace some of what Beasley did which was produce some volume of catches and picking up firsts on third down.   The McKissic loss was not insignificant and I still think they try to get someone in a similar mold whether it be a RB or slot receiver.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 5

1 minute ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Doubt it. Gordon was available and they made a deal with McKissic. I also don't see them signing a name or anyone that takes carries away from Singletary. When Singletary was the primary ball carrier, he looked the best he ever has, closing out the season.

They're looking for someone who can be a good receiving back and a good blocker on some 3rd downs and when Singletary needs a breather. Probably closer to a Darrel Williams type FA. 

And Beane said he's offering opportunity to increase your stock for the following season over money now as "they're right up on it (the salary cap)". So unless Gordon's okay with taking minimum pay and a small role taking a backseat to Singletary - I don't see it.

Duke Johnson is perfect for that. Gio Bernard.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

How’s his blocking?

We'll he's pretty new to the back field, but Falcons put him back there for that statue Ryan. He seems like such an interesting piece for the offense and ST.

1 minute ago, wppete said:

Breece Hall 

Trade down and a CB in FA or it doesn't happen. Unless he somehow falls to the 3rd round and that won't happen either.

I can't fathom a RB in 1st or 2nd round with CB as glaring a hole as it is. I could see CB in 1st and 2nd like last year's DE.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Magnum Force said:

Breece Hall 

One of Patrick Peterson, Joe Haden, Richard Sherman or Xavier Rhodes would be a great 1 year stopgap signing for the Bils this year at CB.

I'm going to pass on Richard Sherman because of his guilty plea and he looked like he lost a step. There others would fit and I trust the FO to make that call if they want but I think it's a really good draft for CB and WR and we will dip into both of those before RB.

2 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Actually he doesn't return punts believe it or not

I think I read that somewhere so I believe it. Still he fills 2 holes as RB/WR and KR. Flexibility is off the charts.

14 minutes ago, qwksilver said:

Trade down and a CB in FA or it doesn't happen. Unless he somehow falls to the 3rd round and that won't happen either.

I can't fathom a RB in 1st or 2nd round with CB as glaring a hole as it is. I could see CB in 1st and 2nd like last year's DE.

Do you want to fill a hole or win a Superbowl?  One of Patrick Peterson, Joe Haden, Richard Sherman or Xavier Rhodes would be a great 1 year stopgap signing for the Bils this year at CB.  Breece Hall would make our offense much more potent and harder to defense.  6’1 220lbs with 4.39 40 speed.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Magnum Force said:

Do you want to fill a hole or win a Superbowl?  One of Patrick Peterson, Joe Haden, Richard Sherman or Xavier Rhodes would be a great 1 year stopgap signing for the Bils this year at CB.  Breece Hall would make our offense much more potent and harder to defense.  6’1 220lbs with 4.39 40 speed.  

I'm on board with B Hall but I don't think that the FO will go that route in the draft unless we sign a CB (no to Richard Sherman) and trade back from 25. Just my 2 cents.

Are you saying RB is a bigger need than CB? I think we need 2 CBs.

Edited by qwksilver

Breece Hall won’t make it to pick 57… other options at pick 57 might be Kenneth Walker or Isaiah Spiller… but I would rather go Breece Hall at 25 assuming he is still there than roll the dice at him being there at pick 57.  I do agree we need to address the Cornerback position also.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

34 minutes ago, wppete said:

Breece Hall 

19 minutes ago, Magnum Force said:

Breece Hall

Breece Hall is going somewhere between the bottom of the 1st and the mid 2nd Round. We have too many holes to fill on this team to take a RB where it would take to get Breece Hall.

And again, with the way Singletary played down the stretch, I find it hard to believe after sticking with him through his struggles that they're going to look at someone to usurp him now when his stock is at it's highest. If a Breece Hall was something they were thinking about, they'd have never made a deal with JD McKissic.

They're just going to bring in someone to support him and someone who's a better receiver when they need to take Singletary off the field. A low cost FA or a pick no higher than Round 4 - as the first 3 picks will need to be used to address the holes at CB, WR, and O-Line (especially if we lose Ryan Bates).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

9 minutes ago, Magnum Force said:

Breece Hall won’t make it to pick 57… other options at pick 57 might be Kenneth Walker or Isaiah Spiller… but I would rather go Breece Hall at 25 assuming he is still there than roll the dice at him being there at pick 57.  I do agree we need to address the Cornerback position also.  

Agree, that's why I previously stated that a trade back will probably be needed. 25 seems a little early for this CB needy team and after the combine he won't make it to 57.

Time will tell with our next few FA signings whether it is a RB such as Fournette or Gordon, WR such as Julio Jones or CB such as Peterson, Haden or Rhodez ( all just examples) of what direction we might go in the draft.  Nothing is etched in stone but though I prefer Hall … it seems we will go CB

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.