On the Resurgence of Ryan Leaf

TheCockSportif

I've been spending this offseason doing what I wanted to, unofficially, through New Year's Resolutions in 2022.

1. Don't dwell on the (bummer) end of the Bills' 2021-2022 season
  2. Don't argue with people on any form of social media
  3. Continue to avoid binge drinking
  4. Stay away from what triggers my depression (why do I follow this team, again?!)
  5. Keep on the diet plan (20 pounds away from goal -- yay!)
  6. Work my guts out professionally
  7. Mix and perform on as many musical tracks as possible (side career)
  8. Learn how to use that sous vide contraption that I got for my 50th in 2021
  9. Moar (!) rotisserie chicken on the grill
  10. Formulate new recipes for the smoker
  11. Stay happily married (entering year 14)

In that light, I spend about an hour of screen time per day, and most of it is on YouTube.  I follow a lot of music and food-related channels.  Somehow, sports-related channels started coming into my feed.  From that, Ryan Leaf started appearing in my feed on YouTube.

I remember his career in the NFL.  It was a total abortion.  I remember watching in awe at how bad he was, how his personal conduct was abysmal, how he got a few opportunities to stick in the NFL, how me moved into college ball as a coach, how he got arrested, how he ended up in prison, how he's had domestic violence issues. and how he has been on a redemption tour for the past handful of years.

You may not believe the Ryan Leaf redemption story, and I readily admit that I'm frequently dubious as to his claims of progress.  I'm always conflicted as to whether or not he's a bad guy who's trying, through fake contrition, to build a career out of a redemption story, or if he's somebody like me.  Still, as someone who's fought obesity, depression, and alcohol abuse, his message resonates with me.  After all of his shenanigans, I find myself rooting for the guy, that he'll get out of his own way, that he'll get his arms around his demons.

What are your thoughts?

• Awesome! (+1) 2

I’ve seen him on several sports talk shows, and he seems very determined and genuinely contrite. I have no idea where he actually stands emotionally and in his recovery, but as they say - fake it ‘till you make it. 

Unfortunately, we have too much experience in this field. I can tell you it is possible to turn it around and be the “real you” again. I also know that there is always the risk of falling back into the wrong behaviors. 

Best wishes to you in achieving all your goals and having the best life possible. 

• Like (+1) 2

I love the guy's story.     I struggle with the exact same things you mentioned above.    I am sure he still deals with things, because you can never be fully healed or perfect, its not how humans are built.   That said, he's taken full responsibility for his mistakes, thats all you can really ask.   I'll be cheering for him. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

I actually think he is.  Just the wrong version of him.

Jack's little eyeroll routine looked like some sort of weird tantrum stroke.  Foolish.

Yeah I mean the modern version of Ryan Leaf.  Problem is Jack is talented enough where his career won't totally bottom out like Leaf's did so it may be a long time down the road before he ever becomes humbled.  

53 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

Yeah I mean the modern version of Ryan Leaf.  Problem is Jack is talented enough where his career won't totally bottom out like Leaf's did so it may be a long time down the road before he ever becomes humbled.  

Hope it happens soon.  He comes off as a total clown.  Given the hair it fits.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Steve O said:

Ryan Leaf reminds me of Art Schlichter. Hope things turn out better for both of you. If Maurice Clarett turned things around there's hope for everyone.

Excellent analogy.  I remember when Art was signed by the Bills.  Thank goodness that never really materialized as a long term plan.

13 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

DIdn't he just get convicted of domestic violence like a year or two back?   his problems seem to be non stop gotta be a nightmare in his head.

Yes indeed.  The guy's still clearly got anger issues, but if he's been able to stay clean, that's huge -- and will hopefully open up cycles for him to work on himself.

I tend to agree with your assessment of Leaf, and I dare say that I am usually a pretty good judge of how legit (or not) people in his position are. Of course, it is hard to judge people without any personal contact, but this man does strike me as sincere. So btw does Hollywood Henderson.

People like this are truly able to help others imo and the fact that they often do makes me very happy to see, along with respecting and thanking those that gave them another opportunity.

I'm pretty sure that I will get blasted for saying this but I actually see a slight possibility that the "Son of Sam" is doing well, in terms of being sorry for his actions. Before anyone curses me out, I want to say that I do NOT want him to be released from prison, EVER. He actually turns down parole hearings and has stated that he belongs in prison. He claims to have found God and I hope that he has.

I base the above on having read a very large number of books about Berkowitz and the Son of Sam case (which has always intrigued me).  One of the shootings was 4 blocks from where I lived. The victim was paralyzed and recently died. For those at all interested, "The Ultimate Evil" by Maury Terry is a must read. Terry did 8 years of investigative research before writing this book and did encounter some danger along the way in. The way the NYPD handled this case was pure b.s., and I say this with a sense of sadness.

Anyway, good post!!!

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 3/15/2022 at 11:25 AM, Bill from NYC said:

I'm pretty sure that I will get blasted for saying this but I actually see a slight possibility that the "Son of Sam" is doing well, in terms of being sorry for his actions. Before anyone curses me out, I want to say that I do NOT want him to be released from prison, EVER. He actually turns down parole hearings and has stated that he belongs in prison. He claims to have found God and I hope that he has.

Don't think anyone should blast or curse you. Nothing close to the research you've done but I've seen a documentary or two on his regrets for his crimes and tend to agree with your assessment.

On 3/15/2022 at 11:25 AM, Bill from NYC said:

I tend to agree with your assessment of Leaf, and I dare say that I am usually a pretty good judge of how legit (or not) people in his position are. Of course, it is hard to judge people without any personal contact, but this man does strike me as sincere. So btw does Hollywood Henderson.

People like this are truly able to help others imo and the fact that they often do makes me very happy to see, along with respecting and thanking those that gave them another opportunity.

I base the above on having read a very large number of books about Berkowitz and the Son of Sam case (which has always intrigued me).  One of the shootings was 4 blocks from where I lived. The victim was paralyzed and recently died. For those at all interested, "The Ultimate Evil" by Maury Terry is a must read. Terry did 8 years of investigative research before writing this book and did encounter some danger along the way in. The way the NYPD handled this case was pure b.s., and I say this with a sense of sadness.

Anyway, good post!!!

So back in the 90's my dad had an employee who got into a bar fight and killed a guy so got sentenced to time in attica.  My dad went and visited him and the guy told him Berkowitz was the prison librarian and weirdly really nice.  

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

So back in the 90's my dad had an employee who got into a bar fight and killed a guy so got sentenced to time in attica.  My dad went and visited him and the guy told him Berkowitz was the prison librarian and weirdly really nice.  

You would love the book I talked about, "The Ultimate Evil" by Maury Terry. I won't give it away but there is a 0% chance that Berkowitz did all of those murders. Not any chance at all. He did some, NOT all.

3 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

You would love the book I talked about, "The Ultimate Evil" by Maury Terry. I won't give it away but there is a 0% chance that Berkowitz did all of those murders. Not any chance at all. He did some, NOT all.

I saw the netflix special.  It was two brothers and one of their girlfriends right? who all died shortly after the murders? they were his neighbors?

If you watch some of the more recent Ryan Leaf interviews floating around on Youtube, you will see that he is a extremely intelligent, has clearly had a lot of counseling, and is in a very good head space these days (if I can use that term).

He's done a total 180 and seems very healthy.

His story is now uplifting and positive. It reminds me very much of Tony Mandarich, who appears to be exactly in the same positive state of mind these days, and equally contrite.

If you like the Ryan Leaf story, and are unfamiliar with more recent Mandarich interviews, watch some of them!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.