Who is to blame for our lack of Lombardis?

Milanos Milano

What is the reason why we haven’t won any Lombardis recently?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Who is to blame?

• Talent acquisition (GM)
    • Player execution, scheme/strategy (coaching)

9 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Luck is a crutch that people use to excuse away failure. “Bad bounces” attributed because of a lack of ball security is talent or coaching failure. Football is all about talent and talent execution (strategy and maximizing player performance). 

What a load of horse crap.

Luck is a stone cold fact. Bad luck happens. So does good luck. So does roughly equal luck.

What you appear to be doing here is indulging one of the absolute worst human traits, the desperate urge to find a scapegoat and pick up torches. It's a failure in rationality, a glitch in the mental wiring. Is one person sometimes responsible more than others? Sure. But the insistence that everything comes down to failure is pure nonsense and pitchfork hunger.

Now, should your higher-ups take responsibility? Sure, as McDermott did. Does that mean that a rational listener should say, "Well, it's a loss, so it has to be blamed on the coach and the GM, quick, get out the pink slips?" Again, hungering for a whipping boy to blame it all on is more a failure of thought, of method, in those desperate to throw blame as fast as they can. It's the urge to scream, "Mommy, mommy, he did it, he did it, everybody, let's hate him!!!"

Edited by Thurman#1

5 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Well yes. Either the best coached team at that moment wins because they found a way to maximize their teams talents over the course of a consistent playoff duration. Some teams win Super Bowls with less than top 5 roster talent due to supreme coaching strategy. You don’t win Super Bowls because of luck. 
We are either lacking talent or talent execution? Which one. 

That's complete nonsense.  The better team does not win every game, the ball bounces in funny ways hence "any given Sunday."

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

What a load of horse crap.

Luck is a stone cold fact. Bad luck happens. So does good luck. So does roughly equal luck.

What you appear to be doing here is indulging one of the absolute worst human traits, the desperate urge to find a scapegoat and pick up torches. It's a failure in rationality, a glitch in the mental wiring. Is one person sometimes responsible more than others? Sure. But the insistence that everything comes down to failure is pure nonsense and pitchfork hunger.

Now, should your higher-ups take responsibility? Sure, as McDermott did. Does that mean that a rational listener should say, "Well, it's a loss, so it has to be blamed on the coach and the GM, quick, get out the pink slips?" Again, hungering for a whipping boy to blame it all on is more a failure of thought, of method, in those desperate to throw blame as fast as they can.

Where did I say fire them? I simply want to know who is to blame more at this moment. Is it a lack of talent or coaching. It’s simple because that’s what determines success in sports is all about. 

• Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

How is discussing a team’s performance dumb? Isn’t that goal here to win Super Bowls? Shouldn’t we be trying to find out why we aren’t winning Super Bowls? Do we need more talent? 

You’re not discussing performance.  All you’re looking for is someone to blame and not listening to any reason.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, IronMaidenBills said:

How is discussing a team’s performance dumb? Isn’t that goal here to win Super Bowls? Shouldn’t we be trying to find out why we aren’t winning Super Bowls? Do we need more talent? 

You should get a job in MSM, you would thrive with your cunning takes. 

1 minute ago, SWATeam said:

That's complete nonsense.  The better team does not win every game, the ball bounces in funny ways hence "any given Sunday."

I refuse to believe this. Mistakes are preventable with either better coaching or better talent acquisition. Fumbling isn’t luck. Interceptions isn’t luck. Ball security is a skill, making good throws consistently is a skill. Optimizing football strategy is a skill. In game adaptation is a skill. Clock management is a skill. 

• Disagree 2
  • Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Where did I say fire them? I simply want to know who is to blame more at this moment. Is it a lack of talent or coaching. It’s simple because that’s what determines success in sports is all about. 

Fire them comes after. First and most important is to find the whipping boy. It's a desperately stupid direction to head in, but wired deep among the worst of human instincts. You're still indulging the need to identify the scapegoat. The screaming and blaming comes later.

The order of dumb thinking isn't blame the scapegoat and then find the scapegoat. You gotta find him first.

Edited by Thurman#1

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

You’re not discussing performance.  All you’re looking for is someone to blame and not listening to any reason.  

Lack of winning Super Bowls is discussing performance. There must be reasons we aren’t winning them. Is it lack of talent or talent execution? 

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I refuse to believe this. Mistakes are preventable with either better coaching or better talent acquisition. Fumbling isn’t luck. Interceptions isn’t luck. Ball security is a skill, making good throws consistently is a skill. Optimizing football strategy is a skill. In game adaptation is a skill. Clock management is a skill. 

Believe whatever nonsense you want.  I guess the 2021 Jags were better than the 2021 Bills and the NYG were the best team in football in 2007!

44 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

So some say winning in the NFL is hard. Some say it takes luck. I say it all comes down to roster talent and coaching to get the most out of that roster talent (player execution). Where do you stand at the moment, who is to blame for not winning any Lombardis? 

A lot of posters here feel we have a top 5 roster. Which ultimately begs the question, how exactly should we qualify what is “top 5” , which metrics are we going to use. Should we use positional statistical quartiles for every team position and weight them based on positional importance? I’m serious, I would like to sit down and debate how exactly we should gauge this. 

Some posters here feel we aren’t winning Lombardis because of coaching strategy and maximizing player execution. Which coaching statistics should we use to gauge coaching performance? I want to try and be as less subjective as possible when trying to determine where fault is placed. 

I don’t believe in luck. I believe in talent and talent execution. Luck is a crutch people use to excuse away failure. 

How is it that some NFL teams can win Lombardis on less than top 5 roster talent, but somehow we supposedly can’t? 

Please discuss as honestly as you can. 

A well determined EPA/play statistic is pro the best option.  The nature of that metric has positional weighting built in.  DVOA is another good metric. 

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Bills under Pegula’s. Sorry, should have been more clear. I want to try and make this as less subjective as possible. Where would you rank our overall talent acquisition across the league? 6th, 3rd, 1st? And what gauge should we use? Statistical quartiles analysis weighted based on positional importance? 

Where do we rank McDermott in coaching performance league wide? 10th, 7th, 3rd, etc? What statistical performance gauge are we using to judge coaches? I seriously want to know where we should be placing blame mathematically. 

I think this thread is preemptive. This teams only real shot under McD was this year. And  I put those 13 seconds on the coaching staff first. 

I have been critical of Beane at times. He’s largely done a good job. I think we have overspent on position groups in the draft without the nearly enough return (yet?). I have real concern over the compounding issue of having to keep redrafting position groups without great return. Similarly eating big cap space without great production. 

Last year is on coaching.

Going forward, if we don’t get one, I think it will be on the FO.

Edited by Mango

1 minute ago, SWATeam said:

Believe whatever nonsense you want.  I guess the 2021 Jags were better than the 2021 Bills and the NYG were the best team in football in 2007!

They were better in that moment of time. Keeping talent focused and consistent is a skill. The best find ways to stay consistent in their performances. It’s not always because of a lack of talent, but failure to recognize what is the best way to strategize against varying opponents. The best chess players in the world can win with different approaches at any given time. 

• Dislike 1

49 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

So some say winning in the NFL is hard. Some say it takes luck. I say it all comes down to roster talent and coaching to get the most out of that roster talent (player execution). Where do you stand at the moment, who is to blame for not winning any Lombardis? 

A lot of posters here feel we have a top 5 roster. Which ultimately begs the question, how exactly should we qualify what is “top 5” , which metrics are we going to use. Should we use positional statistical quartiles for every team position and weight them based on positional importance? I’m serious, I would like to sit down and debate how exactly we should gauge this. 

Some posters here feel we aren’t winning Lombardis because of coaching strategy and maximizing player execution. Which coaching statistics should we use to gauge coaching performance? I want to try and be as less subjective as possible when trying to determine where fault is placed. 

I don’t believe in luck. I believe in talent and talent execution. Luck is a crutch people use to excuse away failure. 

How is it that some NFL teams can win Lombardis on less than top 5 roster talent, but somehow we supposedly can’t? 

Please discuss as honestly as you can. 

Good Lord

3 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

A well determined EPA/play statistic is pro the best option.  The nature of that metric has positional weighting built in.  DVOA is another good metric. 

So applied across all team positions, where would the bills rank in overall roster talent in the league? Thanks for your honest attempt here at being critical. I appreciate that. 

Edited by IronMaidenBills
  • Dislike 1

Just now, IronMaidenBills said:

They were better in that moment of time. Keeping talent focused and consistent is a skill. The best find ways to stay consistent in their performances. It’s not always because of a lack of talent, but failure to recognize what is the best way to strategize against varying opponents. The best chess players in the world can win with different approaches at any given time. 

LOL, ok.  So the 2007 Giants had better coaching or talent than the 2007 Pats*?  Which is it?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.