Who is to blame for our lack of Lombardis?

Milanos Milano

What is the reason why we haven’t won any Lombardis recently?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Who is to blame?

• Talent acquisition (GM)
    • Player execution, scheme/strategy (coaching)

So some say winning in the NFL is hard. Some say it takes luck. I say it all comes down to roster talent and coaching to get the most out of that roster talent (player execution). Where do you stand at the moment, who is to blame for not winning any Lombardis? 

A lot of posters here feel we have a top 5 roster. Which ultimately begs the question, how exactly should we qualify what is “top 5” , which metrics are we going to use. Should we use positional statistical quartiles for every team position and weight them based on positional importance? I’m serious, I would like to sit down and debate how exactly we should gauge this. 

Some posters here feel we aren’t winning Lombardis because of coaching strategy and maximizing player execution. Which coaching statistics should we use to gauge coaching performance? I want to try and be as less subjective as possible when trying to determine where fault is placed. 

I don’t believe in luck. I believe in talent and talent execution. Luck is a crutch people use to excuse away failure. 

How is it that some NFL teams can win Lombardis on less than top 5 roster talent, but somehow we supposedly can’t? 

Please discuss as honestly as you can. 

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 9
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Are you talking about the Bills organization in its history (zero Lombardis), or are you talking about the Bills under the Pegulas, or are you talking about the Beane/McDermott regime?

Bills under Pegula’s. Sorry, should have been more clear. I want to try and make this as less subjective as possible. Where would you rank our overall talent acquisition across the league? 6th, 3rd, 1st? And what gauge should we use? Statistical quartiles analysis weighted based on positional importance? 

Where do we rank McDermott in coaching performance league wide? 10th, 7th, 3rd, etc? What statistical performance gauge are we using to judge coaches? I seriously want to know where we should be placing blame mathematically. 

• Eyeroll 1

Marv Levy. 

In SB25, Thurman was running at 9 yards a clip and only touched the ball 15 times. 

Yes, Jimbo called plays, but this falls squarely on Marv. 

edit: realized this said “recently” after I posted. That answer is of course Tyler Bass’ refusal to wear eye black on both sides of his face. 

Edited by stevestojan
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Ya Digg? said:

I think if the Bills had a punter that was in the top 5 in the league that would get them a Lombardi trophy. Everybody knows you can’t win a super bowl without a top flight punter!!!

Well considering Haack finished terrible in punting statistics, that doesn’t exactly bode well for team Beane. 

Not having anywhere near enough talent until the last two years.

Thirteen seconds this year, and the coin flip in overtime. Last year, and this year too really, bad matchups and the fact it's really hard to win two or three games in a row against the best teams in the league when luck can go against you and footballs bounce strangely.

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

Not having anywhere near enough talent until the last two years.

Thirteen seconds this year, and the coin flip in overtime. Last year, and this year too really, bad matchups and the fact it's really hard to win two or three games in a row against the best teams in the league when luck can go against you and footballs bounce strangely.

Luck is a crutch that people use to excuse away failure. “Bad bounces” attributed because of a lack of ball security is talent or coaching failure. Football is all about talent and talent execution (strategy and maximizing player performance). 

Just now, No_Matter_What said:

Other NFL teams.

NFL is hard. Is that what you are trying to tell me? 

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Luck is a crutch that people use to excuse away failure. “Bad bounces” attributed because of a lack of ball security is talent or coaching failure. Football is all about talent and talent execution (strategy and maximizing player performance). 

NFL is hard. Is that what you are trying to tell me? 

LOL.  So the SB contains the best two teams in the league every year, and every year the best team in the league wins it?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Many factors, but my knee-jerk response to this is that Beane has not done well addressing the lines on both sides of the ball.

I think Beane has done a fantastic job overall, and I wouldn't want anyone else at GM.  But the success this team has had has been because of one person:  Josh Allen.  Not many QBs would be as successful behind that crap line.  And the defense, while on paper and with deceiving statistics saying it's a "Top D," has been a failure.

Everyone wants to bang the 13-second drum, but the fact remains that giving up 36 points in regulation is not going to result in a W the vast majority of the time.

Last season was the easiest road to the Super Bowl the Bills will likely ever see.  Poor coaching is what kept the Bills from going to/winning the Super Bowl.

But still, I would be shocked if the Bills don't win at least one in the next 4-5 years.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Whew! For a minute I thought this was going to be another Bean and McDermott suck thread....

We play to win the game. We play to win Super Bowls. That’s the goal right? If not, why even bother worry about who is employed. Why waste millions winning it all if Bills fans will buy tickets regardless. 

1 minute ago, SWATeam said:

LOL.  So the SB contains the best two teams in the league every year, and every year the best team in the league wins it?

Well yes. Either the best coached team at that moment wins because they found a way to maximize their teams talents over the course of a consistent playoff duration. Some teams win Super Bowls with less than top 5 roster talent due to supreme coaching strategy. You don’t win Super Bowls because of luck. 
We are either lacking talent or talent execution? Which one. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.