What changes will Ken Dorsey bring to the Bills offense?

Logic

1 minute ago, Greg S said:

Allen was the biggest threat running the ball. That has to change. I am not expecting Singletary to put up Henry or Taylor numbers but an 1100 to 1200 yard season is doable especially with 17 games. I know the Bills are a passing team first but we need more production from the run game without Josh.

So 4.6 yards per carry, even though among the league's best among RBs, isn't good enough?  I honestly don't understand that logic.  With that kind of average, it's clear to me that Singletary isn't a 1000 yard rusher because he doesn't get enough carries ... not because he's not a threat when he does get the ball.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

So 4.6 yards per carry, even though among the league's best among RBs, isn't good enough?  I honestly don't understand that logic.  With that kind of average, it's clear to me that Singletary isn't a 1000 yard rusher because he doesn't get enough carries ... not because he's not a threat when he does get the ball.

Bottom line for me is Allen should run less. He will take enough hits as it is with sacks, QB pressures, and trying to escape the rush. No reason for him to take extra shots. At least they should do this during the grind of a 17 game season. Playoffs are different. At that point everything is on the table as you are trying to win a championship. Especially a team like the Bills who are so close.

Just now, Greg S said:

Bottom line for me is Allen should run less. He will take enough hits as it is with sacks, QB pressures, and trying to escape the rush. No reason for him to take extra shots. At least they should do this during the grind of a 17 game season. Playoffs are different. At that point everything is on the table as you are trying to win a championship. Especially a team like the Bills who are so close.

I won't argue with you re: Josh running less.  But I wouldn't say that I want that to change too much.  The Bills amassed the 5th most yards in the NFL on offense and scored the 3rd most points.  I'm not looking for a heck of a lot to change, there, to be honest.

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I won't argue with you re: Josh running less.  But I wouldn't say that I want that to change too much.  The Bills amassed the 5th most yards in the NFL on offense and scored the 3rd most points.  I'm not looking for a heck of a lot to change, there, to be honest.

Same here. The Bills offense is fine. Allen throwing is their bread and butter. For me when it comes to the run game let Singletary do more and Allen do less. 

17 hours ago, Logic said:

I see a lot of sentiment that things are going to stay just about the same in offense this year. 

While I agree that there will be lots of carryover, I think there’s gonna be more change than people realize.

Ken Dorsey is launching his own play calling career here. He’s a human being with an ego and ambition. He’s not just going to blindly run Brian Daboll’s playbook. He WILL put his own stamp on it.

And that’s to say nothing of the additions of Joe Brady and Aaron Kromer — two former NFL play callers that will have some say in the offense, as well.

Terminology and key concepts and the most successful plays and packages from Daboll’s offense will stay, but the Bills offense is going to change. Count on it.

On the one hand, I think Daboll just might be Dorsey's most influential mentor to date.  Daboll built a prolific NFL offense that's well suited to Allen's skills.  And if it's not broke, don't fix it.  

On the other hand, by all accounts Dorsey is a smart, thoughtful guy.  I'm sure there were times when he disagreed with Daboll.  Now he can make the changes he wanted.  It's hard to know what those might be.  

But then, as Logic points out, Brady and Kromer are on staff now.  They're going to bring in fresh ideas.  

An NFL offense is a collaborative creation with input from various sources - including, to a greater or lesser extent, the QB.  With two new offensive coaches, and a new guy running the show, the 2022 offense will be somewhat different.   Brady, via Sean Payton, might bring us more underneath/West Coast type stuff.  With Kromer on staff, I expect more runs by actual running backs and better blocking by the offensive line.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Kinda like what the Bengals did in not handing off to RB Joe Mixon and instead handed it to  Samaje Perine... in his two rushes that game, zero yards. 

Brian Daboll had his moments in which he looked so genius at times. Yet, fell on his face many, many times too. My take is Josh Allen had a lot to do with him looking so good.

Anyway, My take from what we will see with the 2022 Buffalo Bills offense is what we saw the last few games of the 2021 season. More balance, with less QB runs and more RB runs.

I agree that BD would have brain freeze moments that we all wondered wtf he was thinking on some series of play calls, he was certainly an over all quality OC, and it didn’t hurt his reputation that he had Allen as his QB.   

You are spot on with your thoughts on what we will see from the run game going forward.  They didn’t bring in Kromer to do the same old same old, it’s going to be an exciting upcoming season, I for one can’t wait to watch it unfold. 

Two things I hope for:

- Some plays that are set up for run after the catch. Crosses, screens, whatever can make Allen’s life a little easier. Less hero ball will mean fewer turnovers and fewer hits on Allen.

- Ability to run consistently, especially when we really need to. For example in the red zone, or when we’re trying to have a long, time consuming drive to clinch a game.

Singletary looked a lot better the final third of the season, so maybe they have that figured out.

I’m not sure Daboll even had a screen pass in his playbook.

Edited by DapperCam

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

I just want to have the ability...when the passing game for whatever reason is going to *****.....to line up and win a game with our running game.   I would also like the ability when we get up by 4 scores to be able to just run a clock out even though the other team knows whats coming.

Could have really used that against the Chiefs and kept it from being a shootout......we got up by 10 points at a point in that game didnt we?

I think Dorsey is a smart guy, great hire.  He has a working relationship w Josh and that will continue.  Dorsey's greatest influence is Daboll. But even Daboll would be different next year had he stayed, because of two key components that I didn't see addressed yet:

1. Personnel - if Beane can bring in Gronk, a lot of what we will see will change from last year.  Not because of Dorsey's past at the U with Chudzinski, but because he has Knox and Gronk.   If Beane instead finds a bargain with C Kirk  or Berrios, then it is reasonable to expect a different offensive emphasis.  Or god forbid, the dreaded Splash moves of Barclay or McCaffery - if here, expect the ball to get in their hands.

2.  Josh's development-  Josh isn't done developing (as scary as that may be for our opposition).  Love to see Josh start calling some of his own plays.  Sprinkle in some no huddles to catch the defense off guard.  Make a concerted effort to run Josh less.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/6/2022 at 12:35 PM, Logic said:

A further look into Chudzinski's offenses at the U and in his time with the Panthers show a strong preference for an aggressive downfield passing attack set up by a strong running game. Newton's two highest Y/A seasons came in his first two years, when Chudzinski had him firing the ball down field with great frequency. 

Given that Josh Allen finished 2021 as the NFL's most accurate deep ball passer, perhaps Dorsey has downfield passing on the mind.

Gee.  That's Greg Roman's philosophy.  It does make some sense.  If Josh Allen is your QB, you'd better have an offense that takes advantage of his arm strength.  I think that any changes will be in the form of tweaks rather than an overhaul.  I'm sure he'll want to have an effective run game, both to provide some balance and to draw the safeties closer to the line, thus opening up deep routes.  It wouldn't surprise me if tight ends got more touches, but it's not going to turn into a tight end centered offense.

I think the passing game will continue as it has been the past couple of years because that is the Bills bread & butter on the offense but i hope he sees what we see that the running game needs improvement & gets rid of Moss i never liked that pick but he could be trade bait to move up or down in the draft .

Moss was never a compliment to Motor they were more the same than different i always thought we needed a bigger back with some speed for short yardage .

I've seen a couple of backs this year that are coming out that i would like to see the Bills get & i think one could be had in the later rounds & both would be a good change from Motor. The first being Isaiah Spiller but i think he may be gone by the time the Bills may be looking his direction (Not in the first round)

The other back that may be there either late in the second or possibly in the third which i would prefer is Brian Robinson out of Bama . He is 6' 1" tall and goes around 228 lbs & ran a 4.63 at the combine but his official was 4.53 which is good speed for a guy that big & from what i've read he always turn 2 or 3 yd runs into 4 or 5 yd runs .

Last season he was the lead back at Bama & his average was 5.0 YPC - 1343 total yards & 14 TD's that would be a welcome addition to the Bills offense & could be done in the later rounds & i hope Dorcey can make something like this or get someone similar to add that won't break the bank that will be around for a few years ...

• 2 weeks later...

Now that the Bills have made some coaching staff roster moves going into FA and we've listened to his presser, I'm going to play resurrectionist here and drop some breadcrumbs I collected

1) Beane was OK letting Beasley first seek a trade and then walk in FA.  I don't think this is because Beane is a kind-hearted dude who wants the best for Beas family (as he implied in his presser).  I mean, other things being equal, I'm sure he is kind, but when it comes to his job - Nope!  I think this is because Beasley's role will be less crucial in Dorsey's offense

2) Beane was fairly urgent about signing a TE - higher priority than retaining Wallace or giving Bates a higher tender.  I think that means there will be higher use of 2 TE sets, and that the TE routes will be of higher importance in the short and intermediate passing game

3) In his presser, Beane specifically mentioned 2 TE routes they used to run in Carolina, how they'd have Olsen and Shockley or Olsen and Dickon "down the seam"

4) Beane was asked about Isaiah McKenzie in the slot and said there would always be competition but he would have every opportunity to earn the job (or something like that)

Soooooo....putting these all together....I predict that Dorsey and Brady intend to focus more on TE routes down the seam against zone coverage, including using more 2 TE sets .... and to move away from the option route concepts that were Beasley's bread-n-butter.  When teams man us up, they may turn McKenzie loose to run away from his coverage.

And last but not least..again,  based on some of the analogies and examples Beane used...don't pay attention to Chudzinski.  Pay attention to Shula in Carolina and what he did, 'cuz that was where Dorsey cut his coaching teeth AND we just hired him onto our staff.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.