Surprising...over the last decade the Bills have the the 13th most wins in the NFL

Big Turk

9 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Patriots are first and tied for second are KC and Seattle.

Really surprised Bills are so high on the list with 85, one behind the Rams 86 and two behind the Vikings 87.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/seahawks-tied-chiefs-second-most-200047772.html

It's really not that surprising. 

We went from long-time mediocre ("QB purgatory") to good.  So over time, that would average to a higher number than a team that went from bad to good

We're still "mediocre" on that list, 13th

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's really not that surprising. 

We went from long-time mediocre ("QB purgatory") to good.  So over time, that would average to a higher number than a team that went from bad to good

We're still "mediocre" on that list, 13th

13th is above average...

3 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

Well if we're going down this whole number 13 thing in Bills lore, if I am not mistaken, it took exactly 13 seconds, from the moment Steve Christie kicked off until Kevin Dyson crossed the goal line in the Music City Miracle....

Not that I'm still bitter about it.....

16.  Close enough I guess. 

The 2014, 2017, 2019, 2020 and 2021 seasons were all winning seasons while 2015 was a .500 season. That's 6 out of 10 seasons with a .500 or better record and then factoring in the 4 losing seasons none were below 6 wins. You had three 6 win seasons and a 7 win season. While below .500 that's not going to tragically tank your winning percentage either. The McD era has certainly been a fantastic turn around.

1 hour ago, BringBackFlutie said:

16.  Close enough I guess. 

Actually, there were 16 seconds left when Christy kicked off. 13 seconds ran off the clock on the kickoff return for the TD. Then the Titans kicked off to the Bills with 3 seconds left.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Greg S said:

I don't think I will be over 13 seconds until the Bills get back to the playoffs and are ready to make another run at a Super Bowl. I will still be bitter about it on opening day and all thru the season. 

As a Red Sox fan when they lost to Aaron Boone and the Yankees in 03, that one hurt until the miracle come back the next year in 04 & World Series win finally. Could care less now about the Aaron Boone home run. Hopefully the  Bills have the same fate next year. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

That is because we have not been bad enough to be able to get into the top five of draft picks we keep on hitting mediocre status of nine and 7 to 8 and eight then came along with Dermot and we started actually winning and having winning seasons and that’s where you come up with where we are today

The Bills weren't a crappy team for so long because they weren't bad enough to get top five draft picks.  They were crappy for so long because of the way the team was run.   That was on Ralph Wilson who hired Russ Brandon to maximize profits at the expense of winning football games.  The Bills found plenty of talent in the draft and in FA but they seldom retained their top young talent beyond their rookie contracts.  Under Brandon, the Bills developed 3 players who became All Pros -- Jason Peters, Marshawn Lynch, and Stephon Gilmore -- and let all of them leave, 2 by trade and 1 by FA. 

They also made questionable HC hiring choices (Jauron, Marrone)  while hiring low end assistant coaches.  Pegula's early attempt to hire his own HC resulted in the Rex Ryan disaster, which is why Pegula ceded control of the team over to Russ Brandon.  The Bills' rut of mediocrity was only broken in 2018 when the Pegulas finally sent Russ Brandon packing (for non-football issues) and turned the running of the team over to Brandon Beane.   The next season, Beane and McDermott sent all of the offensive assistants except OC Daboll packing and hired better ones.  This is when they actually hired an experienced QB coach to mentor Josh Allen.   Under Beane, the Bills have retained most of the top young talent that they've drafted rather than sending them on to help other teams make playoff runs.

Teams like the Jags, Jests, and Giants have been drafting in the top 5 and top 10 for most of this past decade but they are just as far from being contenders for anything but more top 5 draft picks as they ever were.  It's unlikely that they are going to improve significantly unless something changes in the way the teams are run.  

Edited by SoTier

9 hours ago, SoTier said:

The Bills weren't a crappy team for so long because they weren't bad enough to get top five draft picks.  They were crappy for so long because of the way the team was run.   That was on Ralph Wilson who hired Russ Brandon to maximize profits at the expense of winning football games.  The Bills found plenty of talent in the draft and in FA but they seldom retained their top young talent beyond their rookie contracts.  Under Brandon, the Bills developed 3 players who became All Pros -- Jason Peters, Marshawn Lynch, and Stephon Gilmore -- and let all of them leave, 2 by trade and 1 by FA. 

They also made questionable HC hiring choices (Jauron, Marrone)  while hiring low end assistant coaches.  Pegula's early attempt to hire his own HC resulted in the Rex Ryan disaster, which is why Pegula ceded control of the team over to Russ Brandon.  The Bills' rut of mediocrity was only broken in 2018 when the Pegulas finally sent Russ Brandon packing (for non-football issues) and turned the running of the team over to Brandon Beane.   The next season, Beane and McDermott sent all of the offensive assistants except OC Daboll packing and hired better ones.  This is when they actually hired an experienced QB coach to mentor Josh Allen.   Under Beane, the Bills have retained most of the top young talent that they've drafted rather than sending them on to help other teams make playoff runs.

Teams like the Jags, Jests, and Giants have been drafting in the top 5 and top 10 for most of this past decade but they are just as far from being contenders for anything but more top 5 draft picks as they ever were.  It's unlikely that they are going to improve significantly unless something changes in the way the teams are run.  

I agree that the management was bad and def contributed to this....and you can also say that poor drafting (which lends itself to poor management) contributes to this because they cant make a pick at say........18......cant end up being a playmaker for us

Then the clownshow continued when we could get good free agents to come to Buffalo.  I will never forget the time that a offensive free agent came out to take questions after meeting with management (forget the name of the player....he ended up being a scrub over time) he had this look on his face like "can I please just get the ***** out of here?"

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.