Pizza Hut in WNY

T&C

Just now, Gugny said:

Yep, agreed.  I'd say since 2000, I've probably had Pizza Hut a total of 5 times.  Domino's, from 2000-2020 - probably 3 times.  But I've had Domino's about 6-7 times in the last year, primarily due to their crazy specials.

i can honestly say i'm not 100% i've ever had dominoes.  i have to assume i've had it once in my life, but just can't remember.  i have had little caesar's a number of times.  it's not good, but it's 5 bucks.  hard to complain about that.  

1 minute ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Yeah I don't ***** with pizza hut anymore man. I may as well sit on toilet as I eat it

i've been ruined by food maybe 5 times in my life, and the hut was one of them.  completely ruined my evening.

1 minute ago, teef said:

i can honestly say i'm not 100% i've ever had dominoes.  i have to assume i've had it once in my life, but just can't remember.  i have had little caesar's a number of times.  it's not good, but it's 5 bucks.  hard to complain about that.  

When I was younger (teens/early 20s), Domino's was great because they delivered until 2am.

Yeah, Little Caesar's is okay in a pinch.  They gave away free $5 pizzas for Veteran's Day a few years ago.  That's the last time I had it.

I did ride by the Domino's this morning... man is it ever hidden away, so I'll give them a shot later in the week or next week. Only reason I was in that area was because of Portillo's, that is legit fast food.

These are from PH workers:

Why does Pizza Hut pizza now taste bad?
Originally Answered: Why is pizza Hut now bad (pizza taste)?

Lemme tell you the hard truth about pizza. If you open a pizza joint you’ve got to make a decision. Do you want to make your money selling a few awesome expensive pizzas or a lot of mediocre pizzas, because you can’t do both.

What I'm trying to say is this: everyone loves pizza, but there are only two pizza markets. There’s the high end low volume market and there’s the low end high volume market. There’s really nothing in the middle because there’s no money to be made there.

Pizza Hut made the decision to aim low in quality and really ramp up their ability to crank out lots of pies. They’ve got all the convenience pieces in place too: coupons, delivery, on line ordering, add ons like wings and dessert pizza, etc. If you needed to feed a hungry basketball team cheaply, you’re calling Pizza Hut because they can produce the amount of food you want and deliver it to you without breaking the bank. They offer some awesome deals.

The downside to this awesomeness is low quality. Pizza Hut pizza is edible, okay even, but it is forgettable. No one loves their pizza, if they’ve tried any other, but Pizza Hut doesn’t care. They aren’t in the pizza business as much as they are in the feeding lots of people cheaply and easily business. They’re about convenience more than food and that’s why their quality isn’t the best.

---------------------------------------------

I worked 10 years for a pizza hut franchise until the late 80's. Pizza Hut did have the best pizza. Then PepsiCo bought them out and things began to change. Quality fresh ingredients is one of the keys to having a good pizza. But I think one the item that pizza hut had was great fresh pizza dough. We made batches of yeast risen dough at different times of the day to keep it fresh. Now they have switch to fozen dough to save on labor. I new something was up the day we ordered a pizza and I could see that the dough was not fresh even before I took a bite. When I called to find out why the old dough I was told it could not be old because it was frozen. All I could do was laugh and hang up. I cant help but wonder if they also messed with the special cheese they used as well as the sauce. Leave it to corporates to ruin a good thing. Glad I dont work for then anymore.

Just don't see this working out in WNY when you can buy a frozen Tombstones and doctor it up a bit with your own stuff. My guess is that WNY will run them back out of town again.

Also, Mozzarella is the easiest cheese in the world to make so that's no excuse. 

• Like (+1) 1

I am very far from a pizza snob, and it really has to be screwed up for me not to like it. 

That being said, the Little Caesars stuffed crust is great for between $10-11 w/tax.  Usually get 1/2 cheese and the other half mushroom and onion…and unlike so many pizzerias who are skimpy with the toppings, they are very generous. 

Worst way to screw up a pizza?  Put so much sauce on it, that with the first bite, off comes the cheese and all other toppings. 

Edited by BTB

1 hour ago, BTB said:

I am very far from a pizza snob, and it really has to be screwed up for me not to like it. 

That being said, the Little Caesars stuffed crust is great for between $10-11 w/tax.  Usually get 1/2 cheese and the other half mushroom and onion…and unlike so many pizzerias who are skimpy with the toppings, they are very generous. 

Worst way to screw up a pizza?  Put so much sauce on it, that with the first bite, off comes the cheese and all other toppings. 

Well, to me that's what  makes the pizza good or bad is the sauce. Probably different in other areas, but the LiL Ceasars in my area was worst I've ever had. It's hard to ***** up a pizza, but the sauce tasted exactly like ketchup. Wouldn't be surprised if it was pure ketchup. Wife and kids said same thing after biting into it.

Reminds me, a shout out to @Juice_32. He owns an authentic Italian pizzeria near the area and it's top notch

Edited by Sheneneh Jenkins
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/6/2022 at 2:02 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Yeah but you were probably talking to numbers people 

Ask The individual franchisee owner if he thinks they're in a data company or a pizza business.. I bet he wants to sell food

It isn't that easy.  Read the franchise terms for both PH and Domino's.  Domino's is particularly invasive, so yeah, they are a data company.  Domino's literally handcuffs the franchise into marketing in a certain way, and they take a large cut, so they have a huge say.

It doesn't matter if the franchise owner lives in WNY or not, and frankly, given the draconian nature of the terms of Dominos' agreements, they are in the money business rather than the food business.  Money business == data company.  My money goes to a local business, that's independently owned, 100% of the time.

But, wait.  Why do I care at all?  I have two sin days per month, given my current diet, and neither will be spent eating pizza, much less franchise pizza.  Divesting from this thread.  What was I thinking?!

Pizza Hut fills two niches - one is pizza in rural areas.  The pizza I have had in rural areas outside of the northeastern US has generally been marginally better than frozen grocery store pizza, and on occasion, worse than that.  Pizza Hut is likely going to be better and more consistent than what the local dive bar in Idaho serves up, and it's probably the best pizza within a 50 mile radius.

The second niche is in ease of ordering and pickup.  Pizza Hut can put a few franchises in small and medium-sized cities and can compete on the basis of being closer than the "good" place that's across town.  Pizza is a convenience meal for a lot of people, and thus the ability to plug an order into an app, and drive a half mile for pickup, outweighs having to drive twenty minutes each way for better pizza.  Doordash and some of the delivery apps have eaten into this (and it's why you see Dominos going all-out in advertisements against them), but they are more expensive and oftentimes slower than just ordering from the business itself.

So, while I don't think they will be super successful in WNY, I do think they aren't as bad as some make them out to be.  Sure, if I had a La Nova location near me, I wouldn't be ordering Pizza Hut either, but not everyone has that luxury.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/7/2022 at 6:57 PM, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Well, to me that's what  makes the pizza good or bad is the sauce. Probably different in other areas, but the LiL Ceasars in my area was worst I've ever had. It's hard to ***** up a pizza, but the sauce tasted exactly like ketchup. Wouldn't be surprised if it was pure ketchup. Wife and kids said same thing after biting into it.

Reminds me, a shout out to @Juice_32. He owns an authentic Italian pizzeria near the area and it's top notch

Well one of the signatures of Buffalo area pizza is lot's of sugar in the sauce..........which causes puzzled looks from a lot of outta' towners the first time they try it.     Mixes great with spicy cup and char pepperoni but if you are used to more traditional sour sauce then Buffalo pizza can be off-putting for the sauce.    

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Well one of the signatures of Buffalo area pizza is lot's of sugar in the sauce..........which causes puzzled looks from a lot of outta' towners the first time they try it.     Mixes great with spicy cup and char pepperoni but if you are used to more traditional sour sauce then Buffalo pizza can be off-putting for the sauce.    

Bocce club still uses traditional sauce

But you're right the vast majority of Mom and Pop Pizzeria  use a sweet house sauce which is to contrast from the spicy cup and char margarita

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Bocce club still uses traditional sauce

But you're right the vast majority of Mom and Pop Pizzeria  use a sweet house sauce which is to contrast from the spicy cup and char margarita

Bocce’s is my go to when I get back. It can be my dinner, then my quick breakfast in my hotel room.

That was a treat growing up in Williamsville. They didn’t have the location across from Williamsville North HS back then, so somebody had to put some effort in. I tried getting in there right when school let out one time, and gave up due to the long line of kids. I only have so much patience. 

On 2/7/2022 at 6:57 PM, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

you gotta get that pan pizza at little Caesar’s. If made properly, it is an excellent Detroit style pizza. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.