Freedom Convoy eh

wnyguy

12 hours ago, SCBills said:

After seeing how easily cops will go along with being the enforcement arm of the state (Ottawa, NYC etc.,).. I’m not saying I want to “defund the police”, but I suddenly no longer have any desire to defend them from people who do say that. 

Lol 

1 minute ago, Tiberius said:

Lol 

Fwiw, I’ve never been a gung ho blue line type of guy.   I supported the BLM protests in Atlanta, just not the bad actors who came in at night.  

They are necessary, but we’re seeing how easily they are willing to be arms of enforcement for authoritarian leaders.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, dickleyjones said:

This thread is rather humourous.

Americans who think they understand what is going on in Canada by reading the news and twitter...reading this thread, it is almost as if you guys really have no clue at all. You don't actually believe all the nonsense and lies do you? Surely this thread is a joke?

How else should we get our news? And please enlighten us on what is happening there? 

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, dickleyjones said:

This thread is rather humourous.

Americans who think they understand what is going on in Canada by reading the news and twitter...reading this thread, it is almost as if you guys really have no clue at all. You don't actually believe all the nonsense and lies do you? Surely this thread is a joke?

I saw a peaceful protest stomped down by a hysterical government that declared emergency powers, froze bank accounts and seized personal property.   I now see an overzealous police chief stating they will hunt down anyone who was involved in the protest, with video of police declaring “red zones” and threatening to arrest citizens for daring to walk down the street to grab a cup of coffee.   I also see police threatening shop owners who dared serve/help the truckers.  

What am I missing?

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Fwiw, I’ve never been a gung ho blue line type of guy.   I supported the BLM protests in Atlanta, just not the bad actors who came in at night.  

They are necessary, but we’re seeing how easily they are willing to be arms of enforcement for authoritarian leaders.  

People that block commerce and ordinary people should be arrested, it’s what the cops are for. Those people were just trouble makers 

13 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I also support what BLM originally stands for.  I think it’s safe to say that a vast majority of protesters (peaceful or not) have no idea what the term Black Lives Matter actually means. It’s very simple and both sides don’t even know it. 

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

How else should we get our news? And please enlighten us on what is happening there? 

at least ask the people who live in ottawa. and ask the people who are a part of the protests.

the news and twitter culture are after $$ and/or popularity. if you believe them, you believe that nazi and confederate flags are rampant (not at all, this entire protest has some real pricks to be sure but it is mostly regular people), and you also believe a person was trampled to death by a horse (also not at all).

i support the protest. even though i really don't support their cause. many people feel the same. but when you trample other people's rights to death with a horse we are going to have a problem.

as for freezing bank accounts - in canada it is one of our favourite things to do to proclaim we are not like americans (despite the fact that we are obviously far more similar than we are different). and so when we see american millions pouring into a few bank accounts to help a canadian political movement hold our capitol hostage, we take offense and even overreach to stop it. and it will be supported by a majority of canadians.

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I saw a peaceful protest stomped down by a hysterical government that declared emergency powers, froze bank accounts and seized personal property.   I now see an overzealous police chief stating they will hunt down anyone who was involved in the protest, with video of police declaring “red zones” and threatening to arrest citizens for daring to walk down the street to grab a cup of coffee.   I also see police threatening shop owners who dared serve/help the truckers.  

What am I missing?

you are missing the other side of the equation. the citizens of ottawa apparently don't appreciate being held hostage in their own city, being unable to sleep in their own homes or do business, that the protest is not peaceful as you claim (although for sure many of the people are peaceful).  ask the people who work and live in that area.

also..."hysterical? stomped?" i think you forgot "slammed!"

3 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I also support what BLM originally stands for.  I think it’s safe to say that a vast majority of protesters (peaceful or not) have no idea what the term Black Lives Matter actually means. It’s very simple and both sides don’t even know it. 

agreed and this protest is the same. it, like BLM protests, was accosted by some bad actors.

hopefully, if people want to protest, the protests will continue. most canadians support that. just not in the same destructive fashion.

1 minute ago, Tiberius said:

People that block commerce and ordinary people should be arrested, it’s what the cops are for. Those people were just trouble makers 

That's most protests, so I don't necessarily agree.  

Regardless, fine, arrest people if they deem necessary.  You don't call them false derogatory names, freeze bank accounts, declare emergency powers and send the police chief out there to hunt down anyone involved and intimidate shop owners who helped the protest. 

This was so wildly disproportionate to what was actually occurring and the Ottawa Police Chief is a straight up movie villain. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SCBills said:

That's most protests, so I don't necessarily agree.  

Regardless, fine, arrest people if they deem necessary.  You don't call them false derogatory names, freeze bank accounts, declare emergency powers and send the police chief out there to hunt down anyone involved and intimidate shop owners who helped the protest. 

This was so wildly disproportionate to what was actually occurring and the Ottawa Police Chief is a straight up movie villain. 

oh god...who is "hysterical" now? lol

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, dickleyjones said:

oh god...who is "hysterical" now? lol

Stop simping.  The Canadian government is a joke.  They embarrassed themselves on the world stage and deserve all the criticism they are receiving. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Stop simping.  The Canadian government is a joke.  They embarrassed themselves on the world stage and deserve all the criticism they are receiving. 

7 minutes ago, B-Man said:

That would be you.

Back to the thread.

Canadian news:

ah yes very hysterical lol

i see you brought out the most reputable canadian source: Ezra Levant. proof you really have no idea...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Unwanted strangers, in the wrong part of town, looking to patronize a local establishment….who didn’t belong there, in an area restricted to a certain members of the community…intimidated physically by an unidentifiable member of law enforcement. 

Something about this sounds familiar, historically speaking.  

150 small businesses in the area were forced closed by the protesters who damaged their store fronts because they were not supportive. Strange about freedom of speech eh.