Reviewing Beane

Milanos Milano

5 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Well by definition, elite means you win championships or find ways to do it regardless of your talent level. Usually that’s because they are guided by an elite coach or general. Apparently we don’t have an elite coach that can gather his troops enough to be consistent enough to win. 
This season is the last chance with me. There are no excuses now, we just added even more premium talent. Other coaches have won Super Bowls with far less talent than ours. 

Lapses happen, but elite players and teams find ways to win multiple championships. Woods has many many victories, more than most. Elite rosters and elite coaches find ways to win. We aren’t elite in my book until we bring home the trophy. 

Not the definition and the rest of this is just bad.  

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

Not the definition and the rest of this is just bad.  

LOL how is it not the definition? If being Elite doesn’t include being the champion, then what’s the point? 
It’s possible that we are elite talent wise, but are lacking an elite commander to get over the top, that’s very well possible. But not winning means we are lacking elite qualities somewhere along the lines. If we are to win a super bowl we need to figure out what we are lacking. 

4 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

No, it’s just I will never say foolish things like we are elite. Elite means you find ways to win. If we aren’t winning, then clearly we aren’t elite and we need to figure out why. 

So, the 1972 Dolphins have been the only elite team ever? Elite and undefeated do not have the same meaning. THAT is why they play the games. 

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

So, the 1972 Dolphins have been the only elite team ever? Elite and undefeated do not have the same meaning. THAT is why they play the games. 

Sure, elite means you dominate your competition. They were elite by my very definition. They didn’t lose and they won a super bowl. 

Now if you want to compare eras and talented teams/coaches, that’s for a whole other debate which is fine. We should measure eliteness by most championships won to. 

Edited by IronMaidenBills

LOL how is it not the definition? If being Elite doesn’t include being the champion, then what’s the point? 
It’s possible that we are elite talent wise, but are lacking an elite commander to get over the top, that’s very well possible. But not winning means we are lacking elite qualities somewhere along the lines. If we are to win a super bowl we need to figure out what we are lacking. 

So basically, there's only one elite team every year.  

I don't have your thought process and most don't.  

You once stated we should use an analytics guy to tell Allen or any QB where to throw the ball mid play.  I should have never gotten into a discussion with you after that point after that statement.

Just like comparing militaries with different eras. Roman military troops were elite for most eras. I sincerely doubt most modern armies would be able to compete in hand to hand and hand to sword combat against that army. 
It’s fair to compare other similar NFL historical rosters and coaches. 

2 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Sure, elite means you dominate your competition. They were elite by my very definition. They didn’t lose and they won a super bowl. 

e·lite

/əˈlēt,āˈlēt/

Learn to pronounce

noun

a select group that is superior in terms of ability or qualities to the rest of a group or society.

"the elite of Britain's armed forces"

Oh, lookie!  Elite may not mean what you want to pretend it means! It does not mean the one and only at the top of the mountain. It means part of a select group that is superior to the rest. It doesn’t mention Super Bowl Champions anywhere

We are in the hunt. We are a favorite. We are indeed elite, but that doesn’t mean we have to win the SB to remain elite. I certainly hope we DO win it, but either way I’ve spent enough time on your little crusade. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So basically, there's only one elite team every year.  

I don't have your thought process and most don't.  

You once stated we should use an analytics guy to tell Allen or any QB where to throw the ball mid play.  I should have never gotten into a discussion with you after that point after that statement.

What is wrong with that take? Strategy is dynamic, it changes based on what is being shown at any given time period. Chess is the same way, and analytics optimizes for best scenario win rates based on given battle field positions and opponents skill level. 

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

e·lite

/əˈlēt,āˈlēt/

Learn to pronounce

noun

a select group that is superior in terms of ability or qualities to the rest of a group or society.

Oh, lookie!  Elite may not mean what you want to pretend it means! It does not mean the one and only at the top of the mountain. It means part of a select group that is superior to the rest. It doesn’t mention Super Bowl Champions anywhere

We are in the hunt. We are a favorite. We are indeed elite, but that doesn’t mean we have to win the SB to remain elite. I certainly hope we DO win it, but either way I’ve spent enough time on your little crusade. 

What does superior mean in this definition? Doesn’t that mean defeating your opponents? Are you really superior if you lose? 

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

e·lite

/əˈlēt,āˈlēt/

Learn to pronounce

noun

Navy Seals are considered the most elite forces.  Therefore, they've never died in battle because they're elite.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Navy Seals are considered the most elite forces.  Therefore, they've never died in battle because they're elite.

Lol elite means you find ways to survive. Are you really elite if you die? Survive is to win, wining in a game means you survived. Elite means victory, superior. 

• Vomit 1

What is wrong with that take? Strategy is dynamic, it changes based on what is being shown at any given time period. Chess is the same way, and analytics optimizes for best scenario win rates based on given battle field positions and opponents skill level. 

Create a thread about this and see what kind of response you get.

1 minute ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Lol elite means you find ways to survive. Are you really elite if you die? Survive is to win, wining in a game means you survived. Elite means victory, superior. 

What a POS thing to say.  Any Navy SEAL that was killed in battle shouldn't be considered an elite soldier because he died.

Literally, the most POS thing to say.

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The funny part is, I think he may have argued this ridiculous point for so long he actually believes it. 

BTW - Nadal is still down a break in the third set to Mr Fritz. I don’t know who will win this match, but I know who the elite tennis player is. 

EDIT: Nadal down 2 sets to one, but he’s still an elite tennis player. 

Edited by Augie

Just now, Augie said:

The funny part is, I think he may have argued this ridiculous point for so long he actually believes it. 

BTW - Nadal is still down a break in the third set to Mr Fritz. I don’t know who will win this match, but I know who the elite tennis player is. 

Yeah I'm done with him after his "are you really elite if you die" when talking about the SEALS.  Awful, awful piss poor take.

• Like (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

If our roster is so elite, why haven’t we won any Super Bowls? Shouldn’t elite rosters beat other less elite rosters? Are we not winning Super Bowls because of coaching? Afterall, how is it possible for a lesser talented roster (Ram), to win a super bowl before the Bills? 

Was not aware this season had already been played.

39 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Well by definition, elite means you win championships or find ways to do it regardless of your talent level. Usually that’s because they are guided by an elite coach or general. Apparently we don’t have an elite coach that can gather his troops enough to be consistent enough to win. 
This season is the last chance with me. There are no excuses now, we just added even more premium talent. Other coaches have won Super Bowls with far less talent than ours. 

Lapses happen, but elite players and teams find ways to win multiple championships. Woods has many many victories, more than most. Elite rosters and elite coaches find ways to win. We aren’t elite in my book until we bring home the trophy. 

The last five Super Bowls were won by 5 different teams.  6 different teams have won in the last 7 years.  So by your definition the only elite teams currently in the NFL are either:

1. Nobody or

2. New England

Do I have that right?  If not, what teams do you consider currently elite?

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I mean his moves that year set the entire foundation for our culture and our future.  

I don't disagree with the above. I disagree with the rest though. Your argument essentially comes down to him impacting the 2017 team by getting rid of malcontents. The proof of the pudding was there in the eating regarding Dareus. The run D was considerably worse after he was traded and I don't accept that Ronald Darby was a malcontent at all. Maybe not a natural scheme fit for McDermott but he played well in a mainly zone defense for Denver last year so he could certainly have done it. Watkins? Yea, maybe. But giving him credit for the 2017 season based on that ONE move is a stretch.

He gets credit for the moves he made in 2017 that set the table for what was to come. But I do not give him credit for the 2017 win-loss record. He didn't add a single difference making piece on that roster. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm not debating if he's good or not.  I know he's good.  I'm debating your claim that he's the 2nd best.

"DT's are not ranked by sacks" but then you put a PFF pass rush win rate up there.

Hey, PFF ranked us as the best roster in the NFL and the Titan's #20.  What are your thoughts on that?  They are off by 19 spots?

Oh yeah and here's PFF's best interior defensive player ranking.

Simmons #9!  #9 just among interior lineman LOL!

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-interior-defensive-line-rankings-tiers-2022

You appear to have the impression that if you use a source for a statistic, you must accept every objective opinion they make. It is not so.

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

LOL, if Beane didn't pick Josh Allen..................................

Hey @Einstein what if you didn't come up with 

image.png.cf3cb0685405df23a749384d77545428.png

Would you be stupid?

You didn't comprehend what I wrote.

The point is to isolate the heavily weighted variable.

3 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Just stop side skirting the question, answer it in your own words. What logic explains the lack of a super bowl if we have one of the most elite roster? If we have the strongest and most cunning soldiers and we are losing battles, is it not because we lack good generals? So which is it, coaching or talent? 

The current roster has never played a single NFL game, or even a scrimmage, together yet.  The current roster is what is listed as the best roster in the NFL, as in TODAY, not in past years.  

But hey, who cares about facts, logic, and reason right when you can just spout nonsense instead to force a flawed and silly narrative.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.