Around the League week 18

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Seems like a d**k move by the Raiders to win the game when a tie gets both teams in. But I guess the Raiders would prefer being a 5 seed as opposed to a 7. Then there is the divisional rivalry. Wouldn't we want to stick it to an AFCE rival?

I don't think it was a dick move at all. I think you play to win the game. I think the dick move would have been kneeling on it to keep Pitt out. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Seems like a d**k move by the Raiders to win the game when a tie gets both teams in. But I guess the Raiders would prefer being a 5 seed as opposed to a 7. Then there is the divisional rivalry. Wouldn't we want to stick it to an AFCE rival?

You play to win the game, etc.... 

Seriously, though, the temptation must have been great. Though the kick was no gimme in any case.

15 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Gotta get somewhat lucky to win the Super Bowl…this seeding stuff definitely matters.  It’s pretty rare a team just steamrolls it’s way through the playoffs 

True, but I think you need a little luck on the field in terms of health, officiating, and bounce of the ball, but not in seeding. Good teams get on rolls and win anywhere against anyone. To win it all you have to be the best team. Rarely do we look back and say the best team did not win it all. 

25 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Not at all. When you get an opportunity to eliminate a divisional rival you HAVE to take it. No one knows your team better than teams that play you twice a year. 

Could you imagine "letting" the Chargers win and make the playoffs...only to have them eliminate you down the road?

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Yea raiders were gonna kneel it out. Chargers messed up lol

Well they were going to run a play on 3rd and 4.  Likely a run... and staley called timeout for a personnel change.  The new personnel gave up 10 yards on a run play they knew was coming - thats the sad part in all this.  If its a no gain stop I think the raiders run the clock out - I'd rather play KC than have this blocked or returned, and play no one.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Would you rather play KC or Cincy?  They were 0-3 against both, but they were totally blown out by KC in both  games.  

3 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Well they were going to run a play on 3rd and 4.  Likely a run... and staley called timeout for a personnel change.  The new personnel gave up 10 yards on a run play they knew was coming - thats the sad part in all this.  If its a no gain stop I think the raiders run the clock out - I'd rather play KC than have this blocked or returned, and play no one.  

Yep. They were running a play on 3rd down but then they were not gonna try a long FG on 4th down. They were going to kneel down. Once they gained 10 yards the FG was much easier and low risk. 

3 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

It's the Charger way. That franchise has been STACKED for 15 years....always find new ways to miss playoffs or fecalate the bed if they make it. 

It goes all the way back to Marty Schottenheimer (2002)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.