Defense: let’s grade and comment your grade

Italian Bills

Defense grade today  

114 members have voted

1. 1. What went wrong with the defense ?

• B
    • B-
    • C
    • C-
    • D

7 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I'm grading on a curve.  Stop obsessively investing in the defense and re-allocate those assets/money to the Offense next year and i'll grade our performance a B.  Still waiting for this high paid/high drafted DL to become a force at something other than pressuring QB's without the sacks.  

LOL...you're grading on a curve??

Basically you're saying " I'm going to look for anything...anything to make the defense look bad so I'm going to make up a grading system."

7 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Made one impactful stop on a 3rd or 4th and short (yes a  one) and that was it.

Thank you for proving my point again that you don't believe in a 4 quarter game.

Edited by Royale with Cheese

12 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Basically you're saying " I'm going to look for anything...anything to make the defense look bad so I'm going to make up a grading system."

Thank you for proving my point again that you don't believe in a 4 quarter game.

Yes, actually.  This defense has played very well against one good team, KC.  And if that's who they're built to beat, and they do it again in the Playoffs... I'll consider the investment worth it.  

But to look at what Josh needs to do for this team, some in part due to the assets devoted to the Defense this year... this Defense should not be bottom of the barrel in terms of sacks, while also being poor to average at stopping the run. 

In a game with limited possessions, where our Defense gives up 21 points on 3/3 red zone TD's and allows a handful of 4th down conversions...i'm sorry, but that's a C performance, given what this defense has been allocated in terms of resources.   

Edited by SCBills
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Wow you're right one stop.....  Let's have a parade.....

If Allen doesn't have a game like yesterday, NE probably scores 31+, even with Mac.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Yes, actually.  This defense has played very well against one good team, KC.  And if that's who they're built to beat, and they do it again in the Playoffs... I'll consider the investment worth it.  

But to look at what Josh needs to do for this team, some in part due to the assets devoted to the Defense this year... this Defense should not be bottom of the barrel in terms of sacks, while also being poor to average at stopping the run. 

In a game with limited possessions, where our Defense gives up 21 points on 3/3 red zone TD's and allows a handful of 4th down conversions...i'm sorry, but that's a C performance, given what this defense has been allocated in terms of resources.   

Yep, you and 1972 don't believe in a 4 quarter game.  You don't care about the 5 other drives...just focus and pound that table on the 3 where they scored lol.

It wasn't like we were playing the Texans, we were playing a team that won 7 out of their last 8 and first place in our division.  

7 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Wow you're right one stop.....  Let's have a parade.....

If Allen doesn't have a game like yesterday, NE probably scores 31+, even with Mac.

You mean Mac Jones who was 14-32, 4.5 average, 145 passing yards, 2 INT's and 0 TD's?

This is comment is so stupid that it's absurd....good lord.

9 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Yep, you and 1972 don't believe in a 4 quarter game.  You don't care about the 5 other drives...just focus and pound that table on the 3 where they scored lol.

It wasn't like we were playing the Texans, we were playing a team that won 7 out of their last 8 and first place in our division.  

You mean Mac Jones who was 14-32, 4.5 average, 145 passing yards, 2 INT's and 0 TD's?

Mac Jones, Baker Mayfield, Tua (A games) are Josh Allen (B games). 

There's a reason why there are levels to this.   

We invested a quarter of a billion dollars into Josh and that's why he is capable of so much more than most other QB's and graded differently.  

Same goes for a Defense that is hogging valuable cap space and draft picks, while we need Josh Allen to be prime John Elway given our OL and run game thus far. 

This Defense should be better than they are.  And don't give me stats built on a year of mauling bad QB's/Offenses.  That was a C game they played against New England.  Throw some of that money and some draft picks to the Offense and I won't have higher expectations than what we saw from them against a very limited QB-led Offense. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

No your defence like the Bills is....  But I will cheer for the Bills.....

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Mac Jones, Baker Mayfield, Tua (A games) are Josh Allen (B games). 

There's a reason why there are levels to this.   

We invested a quarter of a billion dollars into Josh and that's why he is capable of so much more than most other QB's and graded differently.  

Same goes for a Defense that is hogging valuable cap space and draft picks, while we need Josh Allen to be prime John Elway given our OL and run game.  

This is your response when I say you don't believe in a 4 quarter game?  I mean, you don't.  You are manipulating stats to fit your agenda by saying " I am grading on a curve."  

The defense certainly wasn't lights out but they played well.  The Pats were unsuccessful on 63% of their drives.  They were really poor on those drives too.  That to you is unacceptable.  

The bottom line is I believe in a 4 quarter game, you don't.  

5 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

No your defence like the Bills is....  But I will cheer for the Bills.....

I'm assuming you were born in 1972 but you act like someone born in 2010....grow up.

8 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

This is your response when I say you don't believe in a 4 quarter game?  I mean, you don't.  You are manipulating stats to fit your agenda by saying " I am grading on a curve."  

The defense certainly wasn't lights out but they played well.  The Pats were unsuccessful on 63% of their drives.  They were really poor on those drives too.  That to you is unacceptable.  

No idea what you keep referencing about a 4 quarter game.  You took issue with me saying that was a C game from our defense.  If we didn't have high draft picks and money all over the place, I'd grade them higher for that game.   

In a league with a salary cap, when you devote as much as we do to Defense this year, there are higher expectations.  

Just like Josh Allen is graded on a curve league-wide as being compared to the elite, so too should our Defense have higher expectations given the investment.  Yesterday was a C game for a team with the investment we have on that side of the ball. 

Edited by SCBills

11 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm assuming you were born in 1972 but you act like someone born in 2010....grow up.

Ooooh   burn....  BTW what did you grade the defense yesterday?  A or A+?

They were okay and made 2-3 plays.....  They didn't stop NE in the redzone and 3 long td drives.  

If the offense  wasn't so good, they would have allowed more points. 

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

No idea what you keep referencing about a 4 quarter game.  You took issue with me saying that was a C game from our defense.  If we didn't have high draft picks and money all over the place, I'd grade them higher for that game.   

In a league with a salary cap, when you devote as much as we do to Defense this year, there are higher expectations.  

Just like Josh Allen is graded on a curve league-wide as being compared to the elite, so too should our Defense have higher expectations given the investment.  Yesterday was a C game for a team with the investment we have on that side of the ball. 

You know why I’m referencing a 4 quarter game.  The defense gave up 21 points in the game, forced two turnovers and forced multiple 3 and outs.  You don’t like that stat so you’re grading on a “curve”.

But since we made investments, they need to be lights out every series.  Way to make a scale that’s unattainable.  Even the elite defenses in the league have B, C, D and F games.  

We are #2 in the league in defensive scoring and we give up 21 to a first place team who won 7 out of their last 8….
Good job moving the goal posts on your argument.  

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You know why I’m referencing a 4 quarter game.  The defense gave up 21 points in the game, forced two turnovers and forced multiple 3 and outs.  You don’t like that stat so you’re grading on a “curve”.

But since we made investments, they need to be lights out every series.  Way to make a scale that’s unattainable.  Even the elite defenses in the league have B, C, D and F games.  

We are #2 in the league in defensive scoring and we give up 21 to a first place team who won 7 out of their last 8….
Good job moving the goal posts on your argument.  

You reference two turnovers, when one was a garbage time/desperation hail mary from a QB with a pop gun arm.  

Definitely don't need to be lights out every series.  Hold NE to say 17, with one of those drives being a FG, or 14, with one of those drives being a 4th down stop, and we're looking at a B/B+ game. 

Yea, the defense was ok yesterday.  C game.  

18 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Ooooh   burn....  BTW what did you grade the defense yesterday?  A or A+?

They were okay and made 2-3 plays.....  They didn't stop NE in the redzone and 3 long td drives.  

If the offense  wasn't so good, they would have allowed more points. 

I give the defense a B.

Again, thanks for letting us know that you don't grade a game in 4 quarters.  The 5 drives in which the New England did nothing...you completely ignore that.

"If the offense wasn't so good, they would have allowed more points".  WTF?  That applies to every team dude.  Any offense that gives the other team extra possessions is vulnerable to giving up more points.  Are you under the impression that saying a completely common sense cliche helps your argument or something?

Hey guess what...if Cincy's offense didn't play so well, they would have given up more points to the Ravens.  GASP!

You know what else is common sense?  You know how the Patriots could have scored more points?  They could have done it on the other 5 drives.  But nope, that doesn't matter to you.  

Good lord.

7 minutes ago, SCBills said:

You reference two turnovers, when one was a garbage time/desperation hail mary from a QB with a pop gun arm.  

Definitely don't need to be lights out every series.  Hold NE to say 17, with one of those drives being a FG, or 14, with one of those drives being a 4th down stop, and we're looking at a B/B+ game. 

Yea, the defense was ok yesterday.  C game.  

LOL

Holding a team to 5 points below their season average at home without our #1 All Pro Corner and starting 1-tech....wow you're definitely tough.

Edited by Royale with Cheese

12 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Still no pass rush

Still no big plays from Edmunds 

Still over-persue 

Yet somehow were still top 3 in many defensive categories.....

Bend don't break.

Kill Edmunds every game is your mantra. 12 tackles, 6 unassisted and plenty of stunt pressures, making Jones uncomfortable. What are you watching? The guy runs down backs and you say he didn't make any plays. Hopefully the next guy they bring in will make some big plays. Edmunds plays every down and is always available. 

7 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Gave them a B-

The Achilles heel of this D is their inability to get to the QB with the front 4 only. They can't beat their 1 on 1's and get pushed away from the pocket all the time. 

This allows even the most mediocre of QBs (looking at you Mac) to find receivers on critical downs. Not being able to get off the field on 4th down was really frustrating yesterday.

I'm really impressed with our secondary though. Even without Tre these guys are really disciplined in their zone coverage and rarely get beat.

If Groot and AJE are taking over next year when Hughes and Addison are gone, we're in deep trouble. I know we need to draft multiple OL this April but we may have to take a runner on a late round pass rusher. 

1 hour ago, HamptonBillsfan said:

Kill Edmunds every game is your mantra. 12 tackles, 6 unassisted and plenty of stunt pressures, making Jones uncomfortable. What are you watching? The guy runs down backs and you say he didn't make any plays. Hopefully the next guy they bring in will make some big plays. Edmunds plays every down and is always available. 

Dude watch Harris's 31 yard gallop and tell me where 49 was on that play. It's pretty sad.

13 hours ago, Italian Bills said:

For all the people that is claiming that arguing the defense performance in the game, tell me, how many of the pats’s drives you felt they wouldn’t score ? Me no one single time, lucky we have Josh and the OL that played a heck of a game, A. 

WTF - then you are rooting for the wrong team troll.

Considering they stopped them most of the game - I will take it every time.

My goodness there are one ignorant people on this board now.  What a downhill trend it has been.

• Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.