Thursday Night Football Game Thread : Week 15 Kansas City Chiefs at LA Chargers

HomeTeam

19 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

I hear you. If this was LAST years KC O I would understand, but unless you’re the raiders this years KC struggles to score.. at a minimum they should have taken the 3 just before half to make it a 7 point game.. that was just stupid! 

completely agree on the field goal right before the half.  In a non-end of half situation, you get the benefit of the other team having horrible field position if they stop you and probably getting the ball back yourself in great field position.  I wonder if the analytics go that deep in regards to going for it on 4th down near the goal line when the other team can just down the ball and go into the half if they stop you.  

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

completely agree on the field goal right before the half.  In a non-end of half situation, you get the benefit of the other team having horrible field position if they stop you and probably getting the ball back yourself in great field position.  I wonder if the analytics go that deep in regards to going for it on 4th down near the goal line when the other team can just down the ball and go into the half if they stop you.  

I mean I am use to seeing teams do this for like 20 years. The coach commits on himself trying to outsmart BB and ends up costing his team a victory.. that’s what it feels like happened here.  

5 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Am I alone thinking Chargers lost this game more than KC won it? If I was the owner of the Chargers I’d be calling the GM and HC into my office and saying “ok I see going for it once on 4th down inside the five but three times? What the hell were you thinking!?”

They won in Kansas City earlier in the season precisely because of his aggression.  Sometimes it works.  Sometimes it doesn’t.  If anything, he should have been more aggressive at the end and gone for 2.

Sorry if this was mentioned earlier in this thread, but heard this interesting stat, in reference to last nights game:

The LA Chargers became the first team to be stopped twice on 4th & Goal in the first half of a game, since the San Diego Chargers were stopped twice on 4th & goal,  in the first half of a game against the Kansas City Chiefs...on December 16th, 1984!!!

7 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Am I alone thinking Chargers lost this game more than KC won it? If I was the owner of the Chargers I’d be calling the GM and HC into my office and saying “ok I see going for it once on 4th down inside the five but three times? What the hell were you thinking!?”

Somewhere it was mentioned in the post game analysis last night, that as much as people are complaining about Staley's decision making last night, the Chargers won 3 games this year, employing the same "go for it" mentality.  So, it sucks when it doesn't work (and you look kinda stupid) but it is pretty exhilarating when it does work.

Edited by Buftex
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Billl said:

They won in Kansas City earlier in the season precisely because of his aggression.  Sometimes it works.  Sometimes it doesn’t.  If anything, he should have been more aggressive at the end and gone for 2.

He was stupid, IMO. Your D has held them to 10 points in the first half.. you go and kick that FG show some faith in your D. I get it in the very beginning but by then your D been very good and you CANT HAVE A MOMENTUM CHANGING action like that. Was totally dumb!

4 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

He was stupid, IMO. Your D has held them to 10 points in the first half.. you go and kick that FG show some faith in your D. I get it in the very beginning but by then your D been very good and you CANT HAVE A MOMENTUM CHANGING action like that. Was totally dumb!

When the Chiefs needed to hit the gas, they scored 22 points in 9 minutes.  Those three points didn't mean anything other than they'd have had to send it a possession or two sooner.

What is with Patriot fans?  It's like you're physically unable to give credit to anyone other than the Patriots or Tom Brady 

Edited by Billl

7 minutes ago, Billl said:

When the Chiefs needed to hit the gas, they scored 22 points in 9 minutes.  Those three points didn't mean anything other than they'd have had to send it a possession or two sooner.

What is with Patriot fans?  It's like you're physically unable to give credit to anyone other than the Patriots or Tom Brady 

Ya because they scored 22 points, and needed OT to win and the Chargers left a MINIMUM of 9 points out on the field by being dumb.  Your right it’s because I am use to a coach not vomiting all over himself when big decisions are needed to be made.. maybe your use to your old coaches always making dumb ass decisions like that.. I mean I remember them from the late 80’s and early 90’s but I never backed them.

give credit to who? The Chiefs because the other teams coach was a moron?  

Edited by PatsFanNH

9 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

I don’t understand what’s so wrong with 3 points when the entire league is so erratic week to week. No excuse for going for it on 4th down in first half’s of games. These “kid” coaches are a total train wreck. I’ve seen at least a dozen games lost from these decisions.

7 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

People bashing "analytics" in this thread are the same people who play live poker and will insist that AA is the worst hand because they lost with it so many times.

Nah. That isn’t it at all. The analytics can’t adjust for how bad your team is.

What would the analytics say when it’s 4th and goal and we call a sneak play with Josh running behind Cody Ford? We would get stuffed 9 out of 10 times and a good team would succeed 9 out of 10 times running the same exact play with a competent guard.

Edited by Governor
  • Dislike 1

12 hours ago, Governor said:

Nah. That isn’t it at all. The analytics can’t adjust for how bad your team is.

What would the analytics say when it’s 4th and goal and we call a sneak play with Josh running behind Cody Ford? We would get stuffed 9 out of 10 times and a good team would succeed 9 out of 10 times running the same exact play with a competent guard.

Analytics destroyed baseball, I don’t want it to do the same to football. Some analytics fine but let’s not lose the common sense that makes football enjoyable. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Analytics destroyed baseball, I don’t want it to do the same to football. Some analytics fine but let’s not lose the common sense that makes football enjoyable. 

Hey bro, surprise surprise for you, If I told you there are some Bills fans rooting for your Pats to beat Colts would you call b.s on me? lol

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.