Cleveland 1989 Playoffs

SectionC3

This loss was this generation's Cleveland 1989 playoff game loss.  Great game, heartbreaking conclusion, offense in rhythm and, guess what, the QB is everything we could ever dream of and will someday don a gold jacket.  We've been amiss all year, but I feel like we've finally found our way.

This one hurts, but this team is going to be good for a long, long time.  That's all. Go Bills.  And Go Colts, so we can thump NE and take the division on 12/26.  

• Like (+1) 6

I'm so excited about Allen.  It was captivating watching him play today, and last week - he just puts the whole team on his back at times.  He's fearless.

We need our Bruce Smith, though. I like some of the guys on the line, but we don't have a true disruptor there.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

Just now, Success said:

I'm so excited about Allen.  It was captivating watching him play today, and last week - he just puts the whole team on his back at times.  He's fearless.

We need our Bruce Smith, though. I like some of the guys on the line, but we don't have a true disruptor there.

Me too.  I just finished the game on DVR.  We got jobbed.  But I almost don't care.  If we handle our business, we'll be fine.  It's like we finally woke up.  And that kid is just dynamite.  So special.  Better than we realize. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Success said:

He needs to be protected from burning out like cam newton. 

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, london_bills said:

He needs to be protected from burning out like cam newton. 

He doesn’t usually take big hits in the run.  Getting battered in the pocket is more the problem.  We’re looking at minimum two new IOL starters next year.   They can replace both guards and I wouldn’t mind a bit.  

5 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

He doesn’t usually take big hits in the run.  Getting battered in the pocket is more the problem.  We’re looking at minimum two new IOL starters next year.   They can replace both guards and I wouldn’t mind a bit.  

Yeah and a high RB1 I would guess. Beanes done the mid rounders and they havent panned out, singletarys OK as a 2.

Edited by london_bills

5 minutes ago, london_bills said:

Yeah and a high RB1 I would guess. Beanes done the mid rounders and they havent panned out, singletarys OK as a 2.

Bigger needs.  Guards are trash.  CB could be a high pick. 1 tech is a need with Star’s unreliability.  I’d think about WR depending on what happens with Beasley.  I’m all in on Gabe Davis, though. 

1 minute ago, SectionC3 said:

Bigger needs.  Guards are trash.  CB could be a high pick. 1 tech is a need with Star’s unreliability.  I’d think about WR depending on what happens with Beasley.  I’m all in on Gabe Davis, though. 

But do you trust beanes drafting? Moss is poor. We do need speed on offence, our best weapon is still Allen running

Lots of needs and only so many picks. Because we went Basham over a Guard last April we'll be forced to draft 2 guards very high. We might even look for Morse's replacement? I would keep Singletary only as a RB2 and dump Moss, Breida, Williams and Wade. It's not like the last 2 are ever getting a chance. Draft the fastest damn back you can find. CB & 1T might need to be later in the draft or FA?

6 hours ago, london_bills said:

But do you trust beanes drafting? Moss is poor. We do need speed on offence, our best weapon is still Allen running

Yes, but we need a plan with the run game.  Are we a power team?  Or are we going to run outside zones and the like and go side to side?  Right now the center is athletic - perfect for the type of stuff we ran with Allen last night.  But the guards are not.  When was the last time we ran a trap for positive yardage?  

personally I think what makes the whole thing work is spreading the field and using Allen as a running threat.  That’s what’s been missing so far this year.   Not in short yardage - that should be someone else’s job. We finally found our rhythm last night.  

Edited by SectionC3

I see the comparison, as we have our QB in place. Allen makes you feel really good about the future, but I think the comparison stops there. I’m not writing off the future by any means, but we have too many holes on the roster. The 89 Bills didn’t lack the talent this team does. The offensive line needs a complete overhaul, we have no running back, and we need a defensive playmaker. That can be fixed, but it seems like we’re in a different spot. I would have a much different opinion if you asked me the same question last season. 

43 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I see the comparison, as we have our QB in place. Allen makes you feel really good about the future, but I think the comparison stops there. I’m not writing off the future by any means, but we have too many holes on the roster. The 89 Bills didn’t lack the talent this team does. The offensive line needs a complete overhaul, we have no running back, and we need a defensive playmaker. That can be fixed, but it seems like we’re in a different spot. I would have a much different opinion if you asked me the same question last season. 

Agreed on hall of fame RB and hall of fame DE.  But this year's QB is better.  Game is different now.  Marcel Louis Jacques said it better than me.  It's an origin story.  Super Bowl Bills had their origin story in Cleveland in 89 playoffs (Lofton catching the back of the ball, Beebe landing on his head, heartbreak at the end).  Tampa 2021 is our origin story.  Go Bills.  

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Lots of needs and only so many picks. Because we went Basham over a Guard last April we'll be forced to draft 2 guards very high. We might even look for Morse's replacement? I would keep Singletary only as a RB2 and dump Moss, Breida, Williams and Wade. It's not like the last 2 are ever getting a chance. Draft the fastest damn back you can find. CB & 1T might need to be later in the draft or FA?

I think Williams is a goner and Feliciano will be asked to take a pay cut or thanked for his time here.  Dumping them plus Ford saves a little over $5m.  Add AJ Klein to the cap casualty list (not worth $4.2m) and we have the money to find ourselves a high end guard.  

8 hours ago, Success said:

…but the Bills lead the league in pressures, as I’ve been told when I have said the pass rush sucks. How did that work out yesterday?

8 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

This loss was this generation's Cleveland 1989 playoff game loss.  Great game, heartbreaking conclusion, offense in rhythm and, guess what, the QB is everything we could ever dream of and will someday don a gold jacket.  We've been amiss all year, but I feel like we've finally found our way.

This one hurts, but this team is going to be good for a long, long time.  That's all. Go Bills.  And Go Colts, so we can thump NE and take the division on 12/26.  

Difference is .... once again this team was flat and dominated for the first 2+ quarters. We didn't show up until the 3rd quarter again. 

11 minutes ago, damj said:

Difference is .... once again this team was flat and dominated for the first 2+ quarters. We didn't show up until the 3rd quarter again. 

We figured it out.   Finally.  Played with a freedom in the second half we haven’t see all year.   Loose.  Happy.   Kind of like 89 where we diddled with mistakes and infighting and didn’t get it together until the second half in the playoff game.   That’s where the no huddle was born.  I felt a similar sense of (re)discovering identity last night.  

The Bills have most all the talent they need but they can't just put it all on Josh every week to play like he did yesterday and expect him to last the guy is nothing but heart and leaves it all on the field but he needs help .

The running game although sporadic with hits and misses as far as out put needs a better back despite the O line it just has to happen if they think that those that they do have can be really good just by upgrading the O line i just don't see it Motor yes Moss not so much .

Then given all of the talent that we have on the defensive side of the ball there isn't a true disrupter like JPP or Chris Jones they have a bunch of high draft picks that do Okay but just don't come up with the big plays when they need them .

I wondered why they didn't go after a Carlos Dunlap or some one of that sort in the off season that could possibly show the younger guys how it's done maybe a guy like that isn't a every down player any more but still has impact on the games he's in that's why he's still playing .

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.