Breakdown of Leonard Fournette 47 yard touchdown

HoofHearted

7 hours ago, HoofHearted said:

3rd and 1 - Edmunds fit great and whiffed the tackle because he stopped his feet on contact. No reason to draw that one up.

Game Winning TD - Bills were playing 1 Rat coverage - a variation of Cover 1 (Man Free) and rushing 5. They stunt up front on the defensive left side pinching the 3 tech and 5 tech inside and blitzing Milano off the edge. The 3 tech and 9 tech to the defensive right rushed their lanes respectively. Everyone else is responsible for coverage. It's man so everyone except Poyer (F) has a man responsibility. Wallace (defensive right) has the furthest receiver outside, Johnson ($) has the #2 receiver to that side, Hyde (S) has the Tight End, Edmunds responsible for the back if he releases and is free otherwise, and Jackson (defensive left) has the furthest receiver outside to his side of the field. When they short motioned the outside receiver to the strong side of the field (defensive right) and he worked into a stack alignment with the receiver on the LoS Wallace and Johnson should have checked to a combo coverage here. Combo means Johnson is responsible for the first in-cutting route and Wallace is responsible for the first out-cutting route. There was zero communication and both Wallace and Johnson took #14 on the out-cutting route and no one was on the in-cutting route which was eventually thrown. Based on how i've seen the Bills play their 1 high coverage in the past Johnson should have carried the crosser since it went overtop of Edmunds (Typically in 1 Rat if a cross goes in front of the RAT player then they pick up the cross and whoever was on the receiver running the cross now becomes the RAT). Can't see Poyer in the highlight clip, but I'd assume he was "collected" by the vertical that Gronk ran and it took him out of the play entirely.

Again, it comes down to players all not being on the same page which caused a failure in execution.

image0.jpeg

Agreed. Our tackling as a defense has taken a huge step back this year. That's one thing (as a coach) I used to be able to point to that the Bills did a really good job of. This year it's like they threw everything they'd done in the past in regards to tackling fundamentals out the window. It needs to be fixed.

Really good thanks. Not watched it back but my first instinct was Wallace definitely starts with Perriman and then checks out of it as though he is passing on. Clearly a miscommunication and not on Edmunds who in the end is trying to chase a WR all the way across the field. 

I thought Edmunds was poor yesterday. He missed plays that were there for him to make, not least the 3rd and 1 where Fournette should have been pushed back for a loss. But the game winner was not on him. 

8 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Ok cool… this has now made the rounds of Twitter.  Tough play, yes but again it’s why I don’t think as good as some hype him up to be

Play he HAS to make. When you are deciding whether to pay a guy this is the kind of play you decide on. No excuses.

21 hours ago, HoofHearted said:

Tampa runs Buck Sweep on 1st and 10 and catch Buffalo rolling 3 weak. Buffalo is beat at birth right here based on alignment since they have Rousseau lined up in a 7 tech instead of a 9 and their Sam linebacker (Milano) playing a 50 and having to set the edge from depth. Milano's responsibility is to set the edge so he is going to take on the first puller with outside leverage forcing Edmunds to take on the second puller with outside leverage and force the play back inside to the Will/Nickel (Johnson) and Strong Safety (Poyer). Johnson missed the tackle and Poyer got worked by the Left Tackle as the Alley player allowing the touchdown. Edminds fit his gap assignment. Anyone who says he overran the play doesn't understand football and run fit assignments.

Flame on haters.... @AlCowlingsTaxiService @LABillsBacker @Rick 'r Mortis

28B44B82-BCFA-48FB-9C38-F15A594011C6.jpeg

On this one my first instinct was Taron was slow diagnosing and hence late to his gap leading to the missed tackle. Is that what you saw? Anyone putting this one on Edmunds is clearly mad. He got to his gap but the interior OL got to him and blocked him out of the play.

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Really good thanks. Not watched it back but my first instinct was Wallace definitely starts with Perriman and then checks out of it as though he is passing on. Clearly a miscommunication and not on Edmunds who in the end is trying to chase a WR all the way across the field. 

I thought Edmunds was poor yesterday. He missed plays that were there for him to make, not least the 3rd and 1 where Fournette should have been pushed back for a loss. But the game winner was not on him. 

Play he HAS to make. When you are deciding whether to pay a guy this is the kind of play you decide on. No excuses.

Common knowledge that when you MLB comes in clean on 3rd with a shot to stop the RB for a loss, he can’t whiff.  This was a bad play.  Edmunds is very inconsistent 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

On this one my first instinct was Taron was slow diagnosing and hence late to his gap leading to the missed tackle. Is that what you saw? Anyone putting this one on Edmunds is clearly mad. He got to his gap but the interior OL got to him and blocked him out of the play.

Pretty sure that Edmunds deserves his fair of blame for the run defense this year that has given up huge runs and struggled with physical teams.  Edmunds is the QB of that defense.  He just not physical enough.  Also has poor instincts 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.