Democracy’s Fiery Ordeal: The War in Ukraine 🇺🇦

Tiberius

Ukraine says long-anticipated southern offensive has begun
Reuters ^ | 8/29/2022 | Reuters

Ukraine has started a long-awaited counter-offensive in the country's south, its southern military command said on Monday.

(Excerpt) Read more at reuters.com ...https://www.reuters.com/world/ukraine-says-long-anticipated-southern-offensive-has-begun-2022-08-29/

good 

When I was in the Air Force at Langley AFB Magruder Blvd. was one of the gates. Named after Confederate general who tricked McClellen with "Quacker Guns" at Yorktown during Peninsula Campaign near there. Always deceive, confuse and surprise your enemy  

4 hours ago, Tiberius said:

good 

When I was in the Air Force at Langley AFB Magruder Blvd. was one of the gates. Named after Confederate general who tricked McClellen with "Quacker Guns" at Yorktown during Peninsula Campaign near there. Always deceive, confuse and surprise your enemy  

That's awesome but I can't understand for the life of me why they brag about all this?  Why not keep quiet and continue?  Is the morale and bragging points worth the loss of deception or are they sure the Russians figured it out already?

49 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

That's awesome but I can't understand for the life of me why they brag about all this?  Why not keep quiet and continue?  Is the morale and bragging points worth the loss of deception or are they sure the Russians figured it out already?

Good point.

35 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Cold Harbor.
Washington, Lincoln, Grant.

Nuff said.

Not nuff said! 

He made mistakes but he won the war. Lee had Pickett's Charge but is remembered as a great general. 

Grant had a long record of very superior generalship before Cold Harbor. The Vicksburg campaign alone was a beautiful thing. The relief of Chattanooga was nice work, too. And for as bad as Cold Harbor was Grant put it behind him and got a hold of Lee by the throat and held him until he suffocated him.  

He stayed mostly out of politics and worked very well with other commanders in both the army and navy, something other generals have not been able to do, and it cost them. 

General Grant, he was a good one 👍

21 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Not nuff said! 

He made mistakes but he won the war. Lee had Pickett's Charge but is remembered as a great general. 

Grant had a long record of very superior generalship before Cold Harbor. The Vicksburg campaign alone was a beautiful thing. The relief of Chattanooga was nice work, too. And for as bad as Cold Harbor was Grant put it behind him and got a hold of Lee by the throat and held him until he suffocated him.  

He stayed mostly out of politics and worked very well with other commanders in both the army and navy, something other generals have not been able to do, and it cost them. 

General Grant, he was a good one 👍

I only mentioned Cold Harbor because my avatar is the Cold Harbor pic, not because of the loss of life. In fact his strategy in the Wilderness proved to be the right one. Grant was a great general and a great man. His memoirs are a cornerstone of American writings on history, similar Churchill’s post war memoirs in England.

He was a twentieth century commander fighting in the mid 1800s. Lee was an eighteenth century gentleman and Pickett’s charge shows that he was not above employing late 18th/early 19th century tactics.

i mention Grant with Washington and Lincoln only because to me they are the greatest Americans.

1 hour ago, starrymessenger said:

I only mentioned Cold Harbor because my avatar is the Cold Harbor pic, not because of the loss of life. In fact his strategy in the Wilderness proved to be the right one. Grant was a great general and a great man. His memoirs are a cornerstone of American writings on history, similar Churchill’s post war memoirs in England.

He was a twentieth century commander fighting in the mid 1800s. Lee was an eighteenth century gentleman and Pickett’s charge shows that he was not above employing late 18th/early 19th century tactics.

i mention Grant with Washington and Lincoln only because to me they are the greatest Americans.

My bad! On Civil War boards the Grant bashers always harp on Cold Harbor.

My mother had an original copy of Grant's memoirs and i read it about 30 years ago. I would probably get more out of it now knowing more things about the times he lived and how those armies fought and all.

The first volume of Churchill's series, "The Gathering Storm" is one of the most important books I have ever read, I think. It's the only one of the series I read but its just so powerful in its argument that you have to stand up to thugs or they will just keep pushing. If the Royal Navy had simply blocked the Italians from invading Abyssinia, fascism would have been nipped in the bud. Hitler saw the democracies as weak after that. 

Great points on Grant and Lee 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Tiberius said:

omg 

😩

Carlson's assessment that Putin is winning the war is pretty close to the target.  While Russia might not be "winning" they are certainly not losing.  Europe is losing.  The EU is losing, The UK are losing.  Their economies are being destroyed.  Inflation is running out of control,  The value of the Euro is plunging.  Prospects for Winter look bleak.  Gas and electric bills are out of control.  The "green" agenda is proving a disaster.  Food costs are rising faster then here in the US.  Sitting governments are unpopular.  Policy is clearly out of touch with the demands and needs of the public.  The rule of the current order in Europe is crumbling.  Its only a matter of time until some country folds on sanctions and defies Washington.  Then what?  On the other side financial restrictions and sanctions while harmful have not dealt the intended deathblow to the Russian economy.  The primary reason, they spent years preparing for it. 

That was always Putin's game.  Not some territorial conquest to reacquire all the former Soviet States beginning with Ukraine as some Western intelligence and Russia "experts" claim.  And while everybody's cheering on Ukrainian "counter attacks" the objective is and has always been to reduce or eliminate US influence in Europe.  Add all the countries you wish to NATO.  Bombs and missiles don't put food on the table or heat in the house. 

Today, another wrinkle as word the first shipment of Iranian drones to Russian forces has been sent.  That should add another layer of complexity to the situation and the nuclear deal they're negotiating with the West.  What's clear is where they stand and it seems politically unacceptable for Washington to agree to a deal with Tehran given they're supplying Putin and providing direct support.