School Shooting in Oxford, MI, a/k/a Parents of the Year topic

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10270625/Michigan-school-shooter-15-gun-bag-meeting-teachers-parents.html

Michigan gunman Ethan Crumbley, who killed four students in a high school shooting, likely had a weapon on him during a behavioral meeting with his parents and school officials just hours before the rampage, a prosecutor said Thursday.

Oakland County Prosecutor Karen McDonald said there was 'very strong possibility' that Crumbley, 15, was carrying the weapon during that Tuesday meeting with his parents school officials earlier in the day and just prior the deadly rampage.

'I think that it's already been public that he did have the weapon. During COVID, they don't use lockers, so they just have backpacks,' McDonald told CNN's Anderson Cooper on Thursday.

They had just bought him the gun as an early Christmas present. They were summoned to school to deal with his weird behavior and his open searches for ammo during school. The mom thought it was all a big joke, wouldn't take him home and follow the immediate counseling recommendation, texting him "LOL" - get better at not getting caught. They never wondered where the gun was. It was probably right there in the backpack, at least until he took it out to start shooting his classmates.

And this was completely on brand for the mother, who had something of a history of blaming any and everyone else for the fact that she was an aging loser:

https://nypost.com/2021/12/02/accused-michigan-gunmans-mom-wrote-letter-praising-trump/

“My son struggles daily, and my teachers tell me they hate teaching it but the [sic] HAVE to,” Jennifer wrote. “I have to pay for a Tutor, why? Because I can’t figure out 4th grade math. I used to be good at math. I can’t afford a Tutor, in fact I sacrifice car insurance to make sure my son gets a good education and hopefully succeeds in life.”

"I can't figure out 4th grade math." Blame the schools, mom. Have you been IQ tested?

https://www.the-sun.com/news/4190727/ethan-crumbley-mom-letter-trump-school-shooting/

Mom wrote an open letter to Trump and posted it on her public blog in 2016:

She continued: "Mr. Trump, I actually love that you are a bad public speaker because that showed sincerity, and humility. You changed your mind, and you said 'so what'.

"You made the famous 'grab them in the p**sy” comment, did it offend me? No. I say things all the time that people take the wrong way, do I mean them, not always. Do I agree that you should have shown your tax returns? No. I don’t care what you do or maybe don’t pay in taxes."

Jennifer went on to tell the then-president-in-waiting that she hoped he would "really uncover the politicians for what I believe they really are,” and that he might “shut down Big Pharma, make health care affordable for me and my MIDDLE CLASS family again.”

Illegal immigrants were apparently responsible for her inability to understand 4th grade math (even though her own mother is a teacher, presumably including of math) - an inability that appears to have been passed along to her son:

"You see Mr. Trump, I need you to stop common core. My son struggles daily, and my teachers tell me they hate teaching it but the [sic] HAVE to. Their pay depends on these stupid f**king test scores. 

"I have to pay for a Tutor, why? Because I can’t figure out 4th-grade math. I used to be good at math. I can’t afford a Tutor, in fact I sacrifice car insurance to make sure my son gets a good education and hopefully succeeds in life."

She then complained about "illegal immigrant parents" and their kids from a school where her parents taught.

"Most of their parents are locked up. They don’t care about learning and threaten to kill my mom for caring about their grades," she wrote.

And this sums it up:

"As a female and a Realtor, thank you for allowing my right to bear arms. Allowing me to be protected if I show a home to someone with bad intentions"

Congratulations, Mrs. Crumbley. You have done more to advance the cause of the gun control advocates than any politician ever could.

• Like (+1) 1

Kid was under 18 and you’re not allowed to own a handgun under 18. Parents should be charged.  

kids stayed home from school cause they knew a shooting would happen, then all the red flags that day and somehow this kid was sent back to class.   Did the principal not ask the parents if the kid had access to a gun? 

Let me dispel a commonly misunderstood job description: In most of the country a school counselor is trained as an academic counselor, not as a marriage and family counselor. While they’re often the first person a student might see, they’re not responsible for dishing out suspensions or discipline. 

IN THE MICHIGAN SCHOOL SHOOTING THEY’RE CHARGING THE PARENTS, BUT WHAT ABOUT THE SCHOOL? 

This is part of a larger issue of government declining to keep the peace and attempting to convince us that it cannot keep the peace, something I wrote about last month, after the Rittenhouse verdict and the Waukesha massacre.”

If the government can’t and won’t keep the peace, why have it around at all?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/04/us/oxford-high-school-responsibility-legal.html?smid=url-share

https://althouse.blogspot.com/2021/12/in-michigan-shooting-what-is-schools.html

15 hours ago, B-Man said:

IN THE MICHIGAN SCHOOL SHOOTING THEY’RE CHARGING THE PARENTS, BUT WHAT ABOUT THE SCHOOL? 

This is part of a larger issue of government declining to keep the peace and attempting to convince us that it cannot keep the peace, something I wrote about last month, after the Rittenhouse verdict and the Waukesha massacre.”

If the government can’t and won’t keep the peace, why have it around at all?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/04/us/oxford-high-school-responsibility-legal.html?smid=url-share

https://althouse.blogspot.com/2021/12/in-michigan-shooting-what-is-schools.html

I will speak for Florida schools, but I believe these are federal laws not state laws, I have been trained in our counties search and seizure. Students must be given the "benefit of the doubt" when thinks like the drawing are found. I am unable to search a student based on any one indicator, like a drawing, that can be explained in a logical manner, such as it is related to a video game. The searching up of ammo is not enough either unless it is combined with some kind of threat. As for the search of the bag unless you have an affirmative reason to search it you are not allowed to search without explicit consent. Schools hands are tied when it comes to this stuff by lawyers. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

FTA:

It appears the school attempted to address the issue when they saw the shooter’s drawings. But their efforts did not go far enough – removing him from the school would likely have averted this tragedy.

However, his parents deserve most of the blame for refusing to take their son home and get him into some counseling. Common sense would dictate that if a kid is creating disturbing drawings, it would be appropriate to get a counselor involved to ensure that there are no potential issues.

To put it simply, this is not a gun issue. There are no gun laws that could be passed that would have prevented the shooter’s parents from purchasing the weapon for their child and allowing him access to it. What they did goes against what most gun owners are taught when they first start buying guns. Indeed, Michigan already has laws prohibiting individuals under the age of 18 from owning firearms.

Unfortunately, the anti-gun crowd cares nothing for these details because their ultimate objective is to make it more difficult for responsible people to own firearms. It isn’t about keeping people safe; it is about keeping as many people disarmed as possible.

https://redstate.com/jeffc/2021/12/05/michigan-school-shooter-showed-numerous-warning-signs-n487102

4 minutes ago, B-Man said:

FTA:

It appears the school attempted to address the issue when they saw the shooter’s drawings. But their efforts did not go far enough – removing him from the school would likely have averted this tragedy.

However, his parents deserve most of the blame for refusing to take their son home and get him into some counseling. Common sense would dictate that if a kid is creating disturbing drawings, it would be appropriate to get a counselor involved to ensure that there are no potential issues.

To put it simply, this is not a gun issue. There are no gun laws that could be passed that would have prevented the shooter’s parents from purchasing the weapon for their child and allowing him access to it. What they did goes against what most gun owners are taught when they first start buying guns. Indeed, Michigan already has laws prohibiting individuals under the age of 18 from owning firearms.

Unfortunately, the anti-gun crowd cares nothing for these details because their ultimate objective is to make it more difficult for responsible people to own firearms. It isn’t about keeping people safe; it is about keeping as many people disarmed as possible.

https://redstate.com/jeffc/2021/12/05/michigan-school-shooter-showed-numerous-warning-signs-n487102

Not a gun issue?? LOL!!! Good one 

5 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Not a gun issue?? LOL!!! Good one 

Comprehension issue.

There are no gun laws that could be passed that would have prevented the shooter’s parents from purchasing the weapon for their child and allowing him access to it.

What they did goes against what most gun owners are taught when they first start buying guns.

Indeed, Michigan already has laws prohibiting individuals under the age of 18 from owning firearms.

6 minutes ago, Beast said:

So, when an officer kills a black man are you crying gun issue?

How does this relate to the topic of a child getting a gun and murdering people? 

6 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Comprehension issue.

There are no gun laws that could be passed that would have prevented the shooter’s parents from purchasing the weapon for their child and allowing him access to it.

What they did goes against what most gun owners are taught when they first start buying guns.

Indeed, Michigan already has laws prohibiting individuals under the age of 18 from owning firearms.

Yes there could be. Just pass a law and enforce. That's a really stupid argument, but par for course for you 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

How does this relate to the topic of a child getting a gun and murdering people? 

I asked you a straight up question. One that doesn't fit your narrative. You are saying the incident with the kid is a gun issue. I'm asking you if it is a gun issue when an officer kills a black person? You can handle sub-topics, can't you?

Or, in the below linked incident, was it a knife issue?

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2014/04/09/300872511/many-students-stabbed-cut-at-pennsylvania-high-school

3 minutes ago, Beast said:

I asked you a straight up question. One that doesn't fit your narrative. You are saying the incident with the kid is a gun issue. I'm asking you if it is a gun issue when an officer kills a black person? You can handle sub-topics, can't you?

Or, in the below linked incident, was it a knife issue?

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2014/04/09/300872511/many-students-stabbed-cut-at-pennsylvania-high-school

Your question makes no sense 

• Eyeroll 1