School Shooting in Oxford, MI, a/k/a Parents of the Year topic

26 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

How does this relate to the topic of a child getting a gun and murdering people? 

Yes there could be. Just pass a law and enforce. That's a really stupid argument, but par for course for you 

I will give B Man a pass here. He was quoting a particularly stupid article from Red State - "there are no gun laws that could have prevented the parents giving their kid a gun" right alongside noting that it is illegal to give a handgun to a minor.

So ... you're saying there IS a law? I guess it's being enforced right now, which is, unfortunately, a few days too late ...

... that's why the parents are being hit with everything in the books. The mom literally laughed at the law ("learn how to not get caught"). 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I will speak for Florida schools, but I believe these are federal laws not state laws, I have been trained in our counties search and seizure. Students must be given the "benefit of the doubt" when thinks like the drawing are found. I am unable to search a student based on any one indicator, like a drawing, that can be explained in a logical manner, such as it is related to a video game. The searching up of ammo is not enough either unless it is combined with some kind of threat. As for the search of the bag unless you have an affirmative reason to search it you are not allowed to search without explicit consent. Schools hands are tied when it comes to this stuff by lawyers. 

Thanks. This is informative, and in fact this kind of comment -- from someone who knows things that I don't -- is one of the reasons I still read comments from people that I know disagree with me on a lot of political issues.

And this tells me that what traditional conservatives have always said remains true: start with the parents before blaming the school. The parents were informed that their kid was exhibiting, at the very least, troubling behavior. And as a parent, it's really hard to imagine that this kid's parents wouldn't have noticed signs in his behavior regarding his anxiety, anger, depression. A responsible parent might not be thrilled with how the school handled the ammo search/drawings incident, but she wouldn't have literally laughed it off. Maybe the school ought to be able to do more itself to protect the other students. I don't know, that's a question for debate. For me it's not debatable that these parents failed their kid and a bunch of other kids in the process.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Thanks. This is informative, and in fact this kind of comment -- from someone who knows things that I don't -- is one of the reasons I still read comments from people that I know disagree with me on a lot of political issues.

And this tells me that what traditional conservatives have always said remains true: start with the parents before blaming the school. The parents were informed that their kid was exhibiting, at the very least, troubling behavior. And as a parent, it's really hard to imagine that this kid's parents wouldn't have noticed signs in his behavior regarding his anxiety, anger, depression. A responsible parent might not be thrilled with how the school handled the ammo search/drawings incident, but she wouldn't have literally laughed it off. Maybe the school ought to be able to do more itself to protect the other students. I don't know, that's a question for debate. For me it's not debatable that these parents failed their kid and a bunch of other kids in the process.

No doubt at all.  

The parents here were just out of touch of reality. Just insane.  He was looking to get stopped from doing this too. I mean he gets caught twice by a teacher doing something very disturbing so you have to think his conscience was tugging at him up until the meeting where he denied the behavior.  The parents treated the gun as a joke and he treated like one as well. They should all be in prison for life. 

33 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

The parents here were just out of touch of reality. Just insane.  He was looking to get stopped from doing this too. I mean he gets caught twice by a teacher doing something very disturbing so you have to think his conscience was tugging at him up until the meeting where he denied the behavior.  The parents treated the gun as a joke and he treated like one as well. They should all be in prison for life. 

It's all so sad. They are sitting in jail, separated from each other and will probably never meet each other again. Or at least for a long time. 

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

Michigan school officials might get charged in this now according to the prosecutor.  The kid should not have been allowed back to class.  

Most, if not all schools have specific protocols in place to deal with these sort of issues. They happen way more than most people know. Of course the only ones we hear about are generally when those protocols weren't followed. I'll be shocked if a few people aren't in big trouble.

Edited by SoCal Deek

Do what they used to do. Back in maybe 1970 (my 7th grade) this one kid, who was a kind of hood, jumped someone  while waking back in the building from outdoor gym class and broke that kid's arm. That was the last time anyone saw him.  Had heard he went to reform school.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Wacka said:

Do what they used to do. Back in maybe 1970 (my 7th grade) this one kid, who was a kind of hood, jumped someone  while waking back in the building from outdoor gym class and broke that kid's arm. That was the last time anyone saw him.  Had heard he went to reform school.

Back then it was 100% certain my parents would side with the principal/teacher no matter how much I protested. Even if I was in the right.

Now? Mom texts the kid: LOL, get better at not getting caught.

That sums it up for me.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Beast said:

Anyone remember this Olean, NY incident?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olean_High_School_shooting

Yeah I remember,

I was a few blocks away in a doctor's office, and they left me there for about two hours while people were "checking to see what was going on.

No Social media, no cell phones, just rumors.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Yeah I remember,

I was a few blocks away in a doctor's office, and they left me there for about two hours while people were "checking to see what was going on.

No Social media, no cell phones, just rumors.

My sister went to school with him at some Catholic school in Olean when she was in the 7th and 8th grade.