Bills offense compared to 2020 by the numbers, and they may shock you.

FireChans

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Josh Allen's last 2 games of the year were spectacular.

And as I write here all the time, this board has a memory @ 1 game long...LOL

So yes, people think of our offense as being unstoppable and will expect it to be that way every game.

They have already forgotten that games like Jacksonville, Indy, and Tennessee happened. 

What was wrong with the offense in the Tennessee game?  

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Coaching was as big a reason as any that they lost the divisional round game…. So obviously you were right, but not for the reasons you thought(missing Tre).

I mean missing Tre played into the loss, without question. My two reasons were Tre and the offensive line. The Oline played great against New England and okay against KC. But Tre was missed against KC - it is hard to beat that team with guys who only play off coverage. You can play zone but you have to be capable of challenging them physically at the line.

In actuality of course we could have won that game but for mistakes mainly on coaching at the end. But that wasn't the question. The question was did you feel better or worse about the Bills going into this post-season than last. I felt worse. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I mean missing Tre played into the loss, without question. My two reasons were Tre and the offensive line. The Oline played great against New England and okay against KC. But Tre was missed against KC - it is hard to beat that team with guys who only play off coverage. You can play zone but you have to be capable of challenging them physically at the line.

In actuality of course we could have won that game but for mistakes mainly on coaching at the end. But that wasn't the question. The question was did you feel better or worse about the Bills going into this post-season than last. I felt worse. 

I felt worse too.  I thought we were firing on all cylinders last year and this past year, too sporadic.

But after the playoffs and the loss in the divisional round, I feel better than I ever had before.   

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Going into the playoffs I felt fine about the Offense, which was weird since they were not looking good for stretches during the season, especially on the line.  However, the thing that worried me more than anything was the D - even though they were statistically the best.  They had shown an inability to handle good running teams, had not shown any ability to make clutch plays late in tight games.   They were great if they got up on teams early or got take-aways, but otherwise they were soft and could get manhandled.  There is something philosophically deficient about the D and for the second year in a row - they played against the Chiefs without much aggression in the playoffs.  Teams like the Chargers and Bucs have shown teams how to attack the Chiefs, and the Bengals didn't play on their heels either.  The Bills simply give the Chiefs too much respect on Offense and it makes it easy for them.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I felt worse too.  I thought we were firing on all cylinders last year and this past year, too sporadic.

But after the playoffs and the loss in the divisional round, I feel better than I ever had before.   

Yep. We played better in the playoffs this year than last I think. But going into them last year I agree with you I thought the Bills were unstoppable. They were flying down the stretch, beating teams before half time. 

18 minutes ago, Ayjent said:

Going into the playoffs I felt fine about the Offense, which was weird since they were not looking good for stretches during the season, especially on the line.  However, the thing that worried me more than anything was the D - even though they were statistically the best.  They had shown an inability to handle good running teams, had not shown any ability to make clutch plays late in tight games.   They were great if they got up on teams early or got take-aways, but otherwise they were soft and could get manhandled.  There is something philosophically deficient about the D and for the second year in a row - they played against the Chiefs without much aggression in the playoffs.  Teams like the Chargers and Bucs have shown teams how to attack the Chiefs, and the Bengals didn't play on their heels either.  The Bills simply give the Chiefs too much respect on Offense and it makes it easy for them.

So to an extent, yes. But some of that is dictated by their personnel. They can't win up front with four (you have to because if you blitz Mahomes he kills you) and they didn't have a single corner available who can press at the line. It forces you into a very reactive style of defense. Being without Tre was big but they needed to upgrade the other corner spot in any event IMO. 

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Do folks not remember 3 picks vs Atlanta? Letting the Jets and Panthers hang around for 3 quarters? 

Josh was unreal in the postseason so I get it. But we were not firing on all cylinders heading into the postseason. Compared to 2020. Which many people IN THIS VERY THREAD brought up over and over again.

These jamokes were trying to fire Daboll at week 12 and now trying to pretend the 2021 offense was a powerhouse all year. You won’t memory hole me @Alphadawg7

What are you talking about?  I wanted to fire Daboll last year and this year.  Stop trying to make stuff up per your usual ways.  

Daboll for all his genius is fundamentally flawed at the same time.  I’ve had a love hate relationship his whole tenure here.  I prayed he got a HC job last year just like I did this year.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Agree with this…. Always seem to cave in big moments. 

They play worse against great offenses lol it’s not that serious.

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

What are you talking about?  I wanted to fire Daboll last year and this year.  Stop trying to make stuff up per your usual ways.  

Daboll for all his genius is fundamentally flawed at the same time.  I’ve had a live hate relationship his whole tenure here.  I prayed he got a HC job last year just like I did this year.  

I can’t wait for the Dorsey era. If you don’t think I’m going to post offensive stats after every quarter next year right in your eyeball, you got another thing coming 

On 12/1/2021 at 12:18 PM, FireChans said:

Yes it is. He has a worse completion percentage, worse TD%, worse INT%, worse YPA. It's why despite his "more yards per game" he has a passer rating ~8 points lower than last season. He is less efficient than last season, point blank, period.

No.

You can't say those stats are worse therefore he was worse.

You can say something along the lines of "in terms of completion percentage, TD%, INT% and YPA, he had a worse year." And myself, I'd agree it was a worse year.

But not by a whole lot. An awful lot of how good he was last year was about how surprising he was and how surprised other teams were. They had no idea how to deal with him, none. This year they knew who he was and had some good ideas on how to stop him. 

More, defenses finally figured out how to begin stopping Allen, Mahomes and the rest of the high-fliers. For the last four years or so nobody could stop Mahomes. This year, he had major problems. Teams figured out how to use the cover 2 shell and long completions dropped like a stone. Both Allen and Mahomes had nearly exactly timed major statistical drops, and nearly exactly timed recoveries as they adapted.

Maybe it's not that he is less efficient than it is that he's in a tougher environment.

Stats absolutely do tell a story. They are useful in understanding what's happening. They do not tell the whole story.

Just now, Thurman#1 said:

No.

You can't say those stats are worse therefore he was worse.

You can say something along the lines of "in terms of completion percentage, TD%, INT% and YPA, he had a worse year." And myself, I'd agree it was a worse year.

But not by a whole lot. An awful lot of how good he was last year was about how surprising he was and how surprised other teams were. They had no idea how to deal with him, none. This year they knew who he was and had some good ideas on how to stop him. 

More, defenses finally figured out how to begin stopping Allen, Mahomes and the rest of the high-fliers. For the last four years or so nobody could stop Mahomes. This year, he had major problems. Teams figured out how to use the cover 2 shell and long completions dropped like a stone. Both Allen and Mahomes had nearly exactly timed major statistical drops, and nearly exactly timed recoveries as they adapted.

Maybe it's not that he is less efficient than it is that he's in a tougher environment.

Stats absolutely do tell a story. They are useful in understanding what's happening. They do not tell the whole story.

The stats are efficiency stats. 

I'll admit i was less confident in this team than 20's team based on the regular season. But when all was said and done the biggest difference in squads was 21 allens ability to go completely thermonuclear in the biggest of moments and thats why now that the dust has settled this 21 was our best shot in the last 30 years.... luckily i dont think his ability to go above it all is gonna vanish anytime soon.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

7 minutes ago, FireChans said:

They play worse against great offenses lol it’s not that serious.

I can’t wait for the Dorsey era. If you don’t think I’m going to post offensive stats after every quarter next year right in your eyeball, you got another thing coming 

I'm having trouble interpreting this, but it sounds like the OP doesn't like Daboll, and you think the offense under Dorsey is going to be worse and intend to rub it in on another fan.

Is that interpretation correct?

It's kind of unbelieveable that an alleged Bills fan would come to a Bills board and discuss such an intention. 

Do I have it mixed?

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm having trouble interpreting this, but it sounds like the OP doesn't like Daboll, and you think the offense under Dorsey is going to be worse and intend to rub it in on another fan.

Is that interpretation correct?

It's kind of unbelieveable that an alleged Bills fan would come to a Bills board and discuss such an intention. 

Do I have it mixed?

It’s not that serious bro.

21 minutes ago, FireChans said:

The stats are efficiency stats. 

Efficiency only in pure numeric terms. Which absolutely do not tell the whole picture. Anyone who thinks they do is frankly clueless.

Actual real-world efficiency is complex. 

Just one example is that a player's year to year stats might drop, and yet if all stats round the league dropped the guy's ranking might rise from, say #8 to #1. Did he become more efficient? A dullard would say that he did and that it's not arguable. A person with a clue would say, "Well, it's complex." Because it is.

More, anyone who thinks that the purely numeric statistics for QBs are not affected by the OL, the WRs, the TE, the weather, the coaching and on and on is also absolutely gagging and champing for a clue.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 2

Mate, the numbers in the OP were from November. Same with the INTs

2021 offensive playoffs over 2020 offensive playoffs all day every day. But the 2020 offense in the regular season was just a little bit better than the 2021 offense. The numbers bear that out.

You’re in here desperately trying to sell this agenda that last years team was better in regular season while admitting this post seasons team was definitely better.

The ridiculousness of that is astounding even for you.  I mean who cares about splitting hairs over regular season?  You do because you can’t do it over the post season, yet the only thing that matters is the post season.  And this years post season team was dominant while last years was not.  

Love that you and everyone were whining we squandered a SB this year while last years team was out classed and didn’t belong in the SB.  Then have audacity to try and get some LAMP points about splitting hairs over a regular season comparison?  Lmao, that’s weak even for you.

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

You’re in here desperately trying to sell this agenda that last years team was better in regular season while admitting this post seasons team was definitely better.

The ridiculousness of that is astounding even for you.  I mean who cares about splitting hairs over regular season?  You do because you can’t do it over the post season, yet the only thing that matters is the post season.  And this years post season team was dominant while last years was not.  

Love that you and everyone were whining we squandered a SB this year while last years team was out classed and didn’t belong in the SB.  Then have audacity to try and get some LAMP points about splitting hairs over a regular season comparison?  Lmao, that’s weak even for you.

When did I whine we squandered a SB this year?

Take ur strawman out to the corn field bro. 

Do folks not remember 3 picks vs Atlanta? Letting the Jets and Panthers hang around for 3 quarters? 

The Panthers game he was still nursing his leg injury from Tampa. It was obvious on some of his throws that the injury was affecting his mechanics.

Atlanta and NY were a combination of bad weather and Daboll calling vanilla game plans. We ran 3 straight WR option routes on one drive against the Jets and every one of them looked like they had barely practiced the play. At the time I thought Daboll was just experimenting in two final games that didn't really matter and in retrospect I'm certain of that. Both of those games also showed that when the offense needed to turn it on it could.

The offense found itself in the 2nd half of the Tampa game with Allen learning to be patient and use his legs to punish defenses. From that point forward the offense was unstoppable when it needed to be.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.