SNF: Cleveland Browns at Baltimore Ravens

Hapless Bills Fan

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

QB, TE, WR, LT, LB, DT, P

Disagree on all except WR.  They need a true #1.  TE they are loaded.  Baker has had a new OC nearly every year.  The talent is there, and I don’t agree with labeling him a weakness unless all QB’s outside of the top 5 are considered weaknesses.  The other positions (other than P) I flat out disagree with.  

7 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

Disagree on all except WR.  They need a true #1.  TE they are loaded.  Baker has had a new OC nearly every year.  The talent is there, and I don’t agree with labeling him a weakness unless all QB’s outside of the top 5 are considered weaknesses.  The other positions (other than P) I flat out disagree with.  

So how do you figure Baker isn’t the problem or apart of the problem??

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

QB, TE, WR, LT, LB, DT, P

QB is at least questionable right now. 

TE is not a weakness at all.  If Harrison Bryant is your 3rd TE, you're doing just fine. 

WR, as someone else said, needs a #1, or at least a speed guy to back the defense up.  Not just a guy who can run fast down the field, he needs to be able to produce when the defense moves up to stop Chubb/Hunt/Johnson.  Landry is fine.  Higgins is fine, just has the injury bug this year.  Schwartz is the speed guy, but has been hurt, and not produced much yet.  Peoples-Jones is hot and cold right now, but has been injured a lot too.  He has the potential to be a solid #2, maybe more, but needs to keep improving.

LB is debatable.  I think they need to upgrade at MLB, but they rarely play 3 LB anyway.  Owusu-Koramoah will be a Pro Bowler, and soon.  Dude is a missile, and reads the offense extremely well, especially for a rookie.

DT they basically need depth and youth.  Malik Jackson is good, but older.  Malik McDowell is really good, especially for where he has come from.  He needs to improve no doubt, but he is extremely overpowering at times.  And Jordan Elliot is a good, quick tackle.  Not great, but pretty serviceable.

1 hour ago, Weatherman said:

Baker has now had the same HC and OC for 2 years.  That's half his time in the NFL.

Supposedly Van Pelt and Stefanski "fixed" him last year.

He really should be comfortable and confident in the system this year.

Mayfield is hurt, and there's no question he's hurt.  Allen didn't play so great last season the 3 games he was wearing an LB brace on his L arm.

On the other hand, Allen didn't get a "pass" (so to speak) from a lot of people.  We had "he's regressing" and (after the KC game) Terry Bradshaw opining "a 50% passer, that's all he'll ever be".

At some point, as some here have said, the Browns need to make a decision to sit Baker and let him heal.  Keenum is fully capable of running a Stefanski-type run-first offense.  He went to the AFCCG with Minnesota, Pat Shurmer as OC, and Kevin Stefanski as his QB coach.

They were gifted 4 INT by Jackson; even with that weird fumble from Baker, they need to be able to capitalize a bit more, but Baker just can't do it.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Weatherman said:

Their TEs are awful! Hooper has the worst contract on earth, total FA bust .Nkoku STILL can’t catch. Third TE always hurt. And they love to go 13 personnel. Baker is 100% a weakness, whether you want to attribute it to his injuries or not. Even when healthy he doesn’t make the plays at the end of close games to win. The punter is horrible, Malik Jackson is another FA bust in the middle , Jedrick wills has not played well this year, Mack Wilson and Anthony walker constantly look lost… etc

• Disagree 1

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Their TEs are awful! Hooper has the worst contract on earth, total FA bust .Nkoku STILL can’t catch. Third TE always hurt. And they love to go 13 personnel. Baker is 100% a weakness, whether you want to attribute it to his injuries or not. Even when healthy he doesn’t make the plays at the end of close games to win. The punter is horrible, Malik Jackson is another FA bust in the middle , Jedrick wills has not played well this year, Mack Wilson and Anthony walker constantly look lost… etc

You're nuts. How many games have you watched?

Hooper has been very good. He doesn't put up huge numbers because they run so much, but he is a good blocker and he moves the chains.  

Njoku has been good too. His hands are iffy at times, but he offers downfield passing in a TE, and his blocking has improved a ton. 

Malik Jackson has been very solid. He's definitely not what he used to be,  but he is still an above average starter for sure.

Wills played over half the year on 1 leg. He had a severe ankle sprain in week 2. And despite that, his running blocking was still good, he just struggled in pass pro until it healed up.

Also, Mack Wilson isn't a starter at this point, and even Walker is replaced by Malcolm Smith a lot.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Weatherman said:

Baker is an issue - he has had the same HC and OC last year and this year and he struggled early last year and then when OBJ went down and they basically went full run attack, 3TE, and complete a few passes - he looked good.  Baker is not close to Top 5 - he is much closer to bottom 5 in the NFL and right now is easily the worst starting QB in that division.

That has not worked well this year and with his injuries - Baker is a huge problem - and to prove that point a second player’s parent has come out and questioned what Baker can do.  Even if under the guise of injury - that is a bad look.

TE to me is interesting - they have 3 capable guys that they are paying huge money to, but Hooper has to be looked at as a huge disappointment for the contract, Njoku has basically become the deep threat, but is super inconsistent, Bryant when healthy might be the best, but basically that group has become a blocking trio to make the run game go.  They are the focal point of a subpar offense.

WR is a disaster, but I don’t think it matters - The offensive game plan is a ton of 13 personnel with 1 WR and when needed supplemented with 2 TEs and 2 WRs.  They don’t open an offense up - so it is hard to get any WRs in a rhythm.

The entire team is underperforming as shown by the threads before the season where many on this board thought they and the Ravens would battle for the #1 seed.  A lot of that is people completely mis-understanding the talent level on that team. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.