CFP committee rankings

YoloinOhio

• YoloinOhio changed the title to CFP committee rankings
2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They are 7 in the AP poll but have the best win of the 1 loss teams 

They also had to go to the wire to beat Fresno State & California, not to mention the loss to Stanford.

I see your point about the win against Ohio State, but overall Oregon has not shown to be a dominant team.

2 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

They also had to go to the wire to beat Fresno State & California, not to mention the loss to Stanford.

I see your point about the win against Ohio State, but overall Oregon has not shown to be a dominant team.

I doubt they will be there in the end, just the initial rankings. I think they will lose to Utah. Probably sparty at 4 until they lose too

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I doubt they will be there in the end, just the initial rankings. I think they will lose to Utah. Probably sparty at 4 until they lose too

Fair enough. I agree with you on Utah. I wouldn't be shocked if the Ducks lost the Civil War Game to Oregon State.

• Haha (+1) 1

Really doesn't matter at this point. The top four teams in actuality, but it won't be reflected in the poll are Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State, and then whoever you like from Cincinnati, Michigan St., Oregon, Oklahoma. There is separation between the top three and the rest.

Edited by Dr. Who
dammit, can't spell cincinnati to save my life
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Oklahoma State fan here... OU will be top 4, but they're more around the 8th best team IMO. They've barely won most their games, struggled against the likes of Kansas (who my Cowboys beat 55-3 on Saturday). 

1. UGA (by far)

2. Michigan State

3. Cincy 

4. Alabama

5. Oklahoma

6. Oregon

7. Michigan

8. Ohio State

9. N.D.

10. Oklahoma State

54 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Putting in Oregon with a loss to Stanford is questionable, but I guess I get it.  Would have preferred to see Cincy recognized in that spot. Surprised and delighted to see OSU at 5 -- thought they would be more like 7ish.  I guess that means the Buckeyes should be in if they beat Mich. St. and win the rest of their games.

• Agree 1

It is garbage top 4 and built to get OSU into final 4 if they don't mess up anymore. I don't think the entire Big 10 has one impressive out of conference win this year, maybe Auburn by Penn State, but plenty of losses but they have 6 teams in top 22. The only reason that Houston and SMU are not top 25 is to not give Cincy credit when they win.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/2/2021 at 7:20 PM, Buffalo Timmy said:

It is garbage top 4 and built to get OSU into final 4 if they don't mess up anymore. I don't think the entire Big 10 has one impressive out of conference win this year, maybe Auburn by Penn State, but plenty of losses but they have 6 teams in top 22. The only reason that Houston and SMU are not top 25 is to not give Cincy credit when they win.

Seems to me that it is built for one hell of a classic college football debate about whether to put in a one-loss OSU team with far better wins and a far better loss, or a one-loss Oregon team with a head-to-head advantage.  As an OSU fan, I'd rather avoid that debate even though I think it should be and would be resolved in favor of my team.

44 minutes ago, Willyville Guy said:

Seems to me that it is built for one hell of a classic college football debate about whether to put in a one-loss OSU team with far better wins and a far better loss, or a one-loss Oregon team with a head-to-head advantage.  As an OSU fan, I'd rather avoid that debate even though I think it should be and would be resolved in favor of my team.

I also think the head to head matchup tends to be not as important to the committee because their goal seems to be who they believe at the end of the reg season has the best chance to win the title and beat, as it currently stands, UGA, bama or MSU (will obviously change). Not who won the game between those two teams in September.  If a team lost in week 2 that may or may not matter. That’s just how they think. If they think Ohio state is the better team in December than Oregon, they will put in Ohio state. And vice versa. Hypothetically.

Edited by YoloinOhio

On 11/2/2021 at 10:14 AM, Dr. Who said:

Really doesn't matter at this point. The top four teams in actuality, but it won't be reflected in the poll are Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State, and then whoever you like from Cincinnati, Michigan St., Oregon, Oklahoma. There is separation between the top three and the rest.

Probably right those are the 3 best teams but there is noway you could rank OSU over Oregon until Oregon loses again.  This is not even debatable, Oregon beat them in their house.  This is why the committe put Oregon in the 4 hole, they knew they could not rank OSU ahead of Oregon or they lose all credibility and they wanted to give OSU the inside poll position to jump into the top 4 which they will do if they beat Sparty.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I also think the head to head matchup tends to be not as important to the committee because their goal seems to be who they believe at the end of the reg season has the best chance to win the title and beat, as it currently stands, UGA, bama or MSU (will obviously change). Not who won the game between those two teams in September.  If a team lost in week 2 that may or may not matter. That’s just how they think. If they think Ohio state is the better team in December than Oregon, they will put in Ohio state. And vice versa. Hypothetically.

Your probably right but quick question, do you think in any universe the committee would ever rank a team even with a better resume that loss to Alabama or Ohio State ahead of them in the polls like some of you are suggesting that is going to happen to Oregon?  Noway, this becomes the double standard of the playoff selection committee.  If your Alabama/Ohio ST/Clemson/Notre Dame you have the inside track over everybody else no matter how you play on the field.  Save the crap about how teams like Cinci have a horrible SOS.   Cinci has -0- chance of improving their schedule because no one would play them this year.  Why doesnt OSU play them anymore?

Edited by Gordio

4 hours ago, Gordio said:

Your probably right but quick question, do you think in any universe the committee would ever rank a team even with a better resume that loss to Alabama or Ohio State ahead of them in the polls like some of you are suggesting that is going to happen to Oregon?  Noway, this becomes the double standard of the playoff selection committee.  If your Alabama/Ohio ST/Clemson/Notre Dame you have the inside track over everybody else no matter how you play on the field.  Save the crap about how teams like Cinci have a horrible SOS.   Cinci has -0- chance of improving their schedule because no one would play them this year.  Why doesnt OSU play them anymore?

They just played them 2 years ago. They don’t play them every year, obviously. Out of conference CFB schedules are set like 5+ years in advance anyway. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Willyville Guy said:

Right now what are the impressive wins for Ohio State? I get they will have to beat Michigan State and another in title game but right now how is Ohio state above Cincy who is undefeated and beat ND .

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Right now what are the impressive wins for Ohio State? I get they will have to beat Michigan State and another in title game but right now how is Ohio state above Cincy who is undefeated and beat ND .

Ask the committee? I assume they don’t want UC in the playoff. By putting them at 6 it allows them to never have to move them out of the top 4 or have them close enough at 5 to move them in as soon as MSU loses (as an example)

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Gordio said:

Probably right those are the 3 best teams but there is noway you could rank OSU over Oregon until Oregon loses again.  This is not even debatable, Oregon beat them in their house.  This is why the committe put Oregon in the 4 hole, they knew they could not rank OSU ahead of Oregon or they lose all credibility and they wanted to give OSU the inside poll position to jump into the top 4 which they will do if they beat Sparty.

Yes, understood.  That was implicit in the rhetoric I chose, but I suppose I should have stipulated in the manner you have done.

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

They just played them 2 years ago. They don’t play them every year, obviously. Out of conference CFB schedules are set like 5+ years in advance anyway. 

Yeah I know they played them two years ago.  My point is every time a non power 5 team knocks on the door for this playoff everybody brings up their SOS, which I understand Cincy is like 100 right now.  But it is impossible for them to improve their SOS. 

I will also say this, between Cinci/OSU/Alabama Cinci is the only undefeated team and they also have the best win out of the three of them in beating ND who is #10 in south bend.  So how are these two teams ranked ahead of them?

49 minutes ago, Gordio said:

Yeah I know they played them two years ago.  My point is every time a non power 5 team knocks on the door for this playoff everybody brings up their SOS, which I understand Cincy is like 100 right now.  But it is impossible for them to improve their SOS. 

I will also say this, between Cinci/OSU/Alabama Cinci is the only undefeated team and they also have the best win out of the three of them in beating ND who is #10 in south bend.  So how are these two teams ranked ahead of them?

The committee doesn’t want UC on the playoff and uses an arbitrary ranking system. That’s how it looks anyway. Wake forest and Oklahoma are undefeated power 5 and not even close. The committee doesn’t respect  these teams and have their reasons apparently 

Edited by YoloinOhio

How will the top 4 shuffle this week with MSU loss… could be Oregon at 3 and Ohio state at 4. Or do we see UC jump Ohio state? The near loss to Tulsa could hurt that effort this week. But that 0 in the loss column stands out.  Could also consider Oklahoma for that reason but seeing they put them at 8 last week, not sure they will move them up that much. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

43 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

How will the top 4 shuffle this week with MSU loss… could be Oregon at 3 and Ohio state at 4. Or do we see UC jump Ohio state? The near loss to Tulsa could hurt that effort this week. But that 0 in the loss column stands out.  Could also consider Oklahoma for that reason but seeing they put them at 8 last week, not sure they will move them up that much. 

It is going to be Georgia, Alabama, Oregon, Ohio St with Cinci in the 5 hole.  

22 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Committee doesn’t seem to value head to head. At least this week. 

They just do whatever they want and that’s their reasoning. Purdue is ranked now so thanks for that. 

Committee doesn’t seem to value head to head, except in the case of OSU-Oregon.  In any event, one of the things I like about the rankings so far this year is that the committee seems to love the B1G for whatever reason. 

3 minutes ago, Willyville Guy said:

Committee doesn’t seem to value head to head, except in the case of OSU-Oregon.  In any event, one of the things I like about the rankings so far this year is that the committee seems to love the B1G for whatever reason. 

They really do and I keep thinking that 10-25 is really just used to justify the top 4. They are keeping Ohio state upcoming opponents as high as they can. That said, they are keeping Penn state out of the top 25 even though their worst loss came with an injured QB. 

Regarding head to head with Oregon I truly think that if Ohio state had more convincingly beaten Nebraska they would have jumped them. They didn’t give the committee enough reason to do it. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

32 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They really do and I keep thinking that 10-25 is really just used to justify the top 4. They are keeping Ohio state upcoming opponents as high as they can. That said, they are keeping Penn state out of the top 25 even though their worst loss came with an injured QB. 

Regarding head to head with Oregon I truly think that if Ohio state had more convincingly beaten Nebraska they would have jumped them. They didn’t give the committee enough reason to do it. 

Penn State is underrated.  That was a good team we saw.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

That same good team lost at home to Illinois.

Don't I know it - nine overtimes!  It was a bad loss even with Clifford playing hurt and the team maybe looking ahead to Ohio State the following week. That team has good talent though and played a very good game on the road against Ohio State...which are the primary reasons I think they are underrated. Also, Wisconsin and Auburn are three-loss teams that are ranked... and PSU beat both of them.  They deserved to be ranked in my opinion.  

Edited by Willyville Guy
  • Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Willyville Guy said:

Don't I know it - nine overtimes!  It was a bad loss even with Clifford playing hurt and the team maybe looking ahead to Ohio State the following week. That team has good talent though and played a very good game on the road that against Ohio State...which are the primary reasons I think they are underrated. Also, Wisconsin and Auburn are three-loss teams that are ranked... and PSU beat both of them.  They deserved to be ranked in my opinion.  

I have no issues with them being ranked. They've had some tough games go the other way, it happens.

Now I just hope that Michigan can rise up in Happy Valley and get a good quality win. Like they should have had against Michigan State. :angry:

• Like (+1) 2

On 11/10/2021 at 1:40 PM, Mark Vader said:

I have no issues with them being ranked. They've had some tough games go the other way, it happens.

Now I just hope that Michigan can rise up in Happy Valley and get a good quality win. Like they should have had against Michigan State. :angry:

Good win for Michigan. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm so pissed my Cowboys lost to Iowa State a few weeks ago or we'd be in the top 5 right now. Then OU lost, which I hate OU, but a win over 11-0 OU vs a 9-2 or 10-1 OU looks SO much better to the CFP. 

This week:

1. UGA

2. Alabama

3. Oregon

4. Ohio State

5. Michigan

6. Cincy

7. Mich State

8. ND

9. Oklahoma State

10. Baylor

How it SHOULD be ranked:

1. UGA

2. Alabama

3. Cincy

4. Ohio State

5. Oklahoma State

Oregon has beat ONE ranked team and lost to a BAD Stanford team. I don't think any PAC12 team is good enough right now. Ohio State has beat two ranked teams the past few weeks and we will know where they really stand the next few weeks to come. The B1G will play itself out. Still think Cincy couldn't hang in any power 5, but they did beat ND and haven't lost. Oklahoma State, we've been the hottest team with 1 loss... beat 3 ranked teams and lost to Iowa State, who was ranked. 

From ESPN: 

Let's do a little blind résumé comparison:

Team A is 9-1 with a 5-1 mark against FPI top-50 opponents (with a 12.2 points-per-game margin) and three wins vs. teams ranked at game time. Its lone loss came on the road by three points to a preseason AP top-10 team. Its ESPN Strength of Record is No. 6 nationally.

Team B is 9-1 with a 4-1 mark against FPI top-50 opponents (with a 10.6 points-per-game margin) and one win vs. a team ranked at game time. Its lone loss came at home by seven points to a preseason AP top-10 team. Its ESPN Strength of Record is No. 9 nationally.

So, which team would you have ranked higher?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.