Dune

Doc

I've seen the original.  It's a HORRIBLE movie.

HBO is playing the heck out of it now, and has been doing so for the past few months.

The commercials for the new one look better, but it also looks like a different movie.

I have wondered how much the new movie deviates from the book.

16 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I've seen the original.  It's a HORRIBLE movie.

I love Dune and have never watched the entire original. It was terrible. One of the widest gaps of good book to bad movie ever. 

16 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

HBO is playing the heck out of it now, and has been doing so for the past few months.

The commercials for the new one look better, but it also looks like a different movie.

I have wondered how much the new movie deviates from the book.

I have read the books and saw the movie. Not much deviation on anything that matters. The biggest deviations, if you want to call them that, are sidelining some of the background and certain characters. 

On 10/25/2021 at 7:16 PM, Jauronimo said:

You didn't notice a conflict? Not even a little one?

I’m aware the entire story is based around conflicts. I should’ve said fights or more action sequences, thought I’d see a bit more razzle dazzle I guess. I keep hearing the next one will really ramp it up in the action department. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

hello all...well Im not a big sci fi buff but hubby is so Ive seen both the original Dune with kyle MacLaghlan, score by Brian Eno I thought it was campy cool I liked the bulging spice worm images..

we saw the new Dune movie in theater, IMAX screen wouldnt calibrate so they gave us ticket in these new type seats where the jerk you ll around blow air rain on you Cheese n crackers I was out of there in 2 minutes I Hated it.......went to no frills showing and enjoyed it but for myself and not being as invested as others in the plot twits etc I thought it could have been shorter length and not impacted the films ultimate story...jmo. I liked seeing into the spice worm, technically it was very intricately done I thought.

m

I saw Dune last night. I don't know anything of the source material so I can't say for sure where the movie is going. But Part 1 on it's own was pretty lame IMO. I understand it's just Part 1, and maybe the pay off in Part 2 will be great, but aside from the cool visuals and sound editing, there wasn't much there. It seemed like the entire Part 1 essentially existed just to build up the characters for Part 2, but I left feeling like none of the characters were really worth caring about. I'll still see Part 2 because I like the genre in general and I'm curious to see how it all ends, but I feel like Part 2 will have to really blow me away to ever have interest in seeing Part 1 again.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I saw Dune last night. I don't know anything of the source material so I can't say for sure where the movie is going. But Part 1 on it's own was pretty lame IMO. I understand it's just Part 1, but and maybe the pay off in Part 2 will be great, but aside from the cool visuals and sound editing, there wasn't much there. It seemed like the entire Part 1 essentially existed just to build up the characters for Part 2, but I left feeling like none of the characters were really worth caring about. I'll still see Part 2 because I like the genre in general and I'm curious to see how it all ends, but I feel like Part 2 will have to really blow me away to ever have interest in seeing Part 1 again.

I assume the same director will do part 2 and they won't be discombobulated like the latest star wars trilogy was. So they should mesh well, at least. That doesn't mean you'll get the payoff you want, but the story is definitely leading to a showdown with the emperor. Part 2 should be a bigger scale and I'm hoping includes some weirder stuff. One of the biggest gripes for me was that the world felt a little too familiar.

• 3 months later...
On 10/25/2021 at 8:32 PM, Sundancer said:

250 million opening weekend tracking to 500. They will make a sequel with that. 

It doesn’t have campy robots or jokey dialog. Not that kind of story. 

I loved it. Totally get that its appeal is going to be more limited without Ewoks, gore, or superheroes but it is by far the best adaptation yet. 5 stars for me. Hope they can get through a couple books but if they just do this and give it legs for HBO series, it’s a win. 

The story centers on a hallucinogen so it’s not exactly easy. 

Just took a bunch of spice and finally watched it.

image.png.c790e1eba85cacb112a12cd5086ef57b.png

It was significantly better than I was expecting. 🤙🤙🤙

• Awesome! (+1) 1

• 1 year later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.