TE greats of all time

12 hours ago, Gugny said:

I can't believe no one has Aaron Hernandez hanging around in this conversation.

Since you brought it up...

I'm not sure who's the best TE I've ever seen play.  But the best TE combo was, without a doubt, Gronk-Hernandez.  Individually, each was supremely talented.  Together, they were a terrifying force.

It defies probability that a team could find two TEs this talented in the same draft.   

Edited by hondo in seattle

I think it would be a bit more interesting to talk about the all-time list of Bills tight ends. Yes, it's a motley crew.

Something like...

1. Ernie Warlick
2. Pete Metzelaars
3. Keith McKellar
4. Jay Riemersma
5. Charles Clay

Woof. On second thought, let's never discuss this again.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, Logic said:

I think it would be a bit more interesting to talk about the all-time list of Bills tight ends. Yes, it's a motley crew.

Something like...

1. Ernie Warlick
2. Pete Metzelaars
3. Keith McKellar
4. Jay Riemersma
5. Charles Clay

Wow. That’s one of the lamest team all-time “greats” by position list you’ll ever find. 
All Dawson Knox needs to do is continue playing like he is now through the 2022 season and he will be on this list. And that’s not meant as praise for Knox …

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Rico said:

For Bills TE’s, you have to go to the Bills Alternate Universe.

1. Tony Hunter

2. Reuben Gant

3. Lonnie Johnson

4. Jan White

You made me look up a couple of those names. You know what? Reuben Grant had one really good season and a couple ok ones. He may make this list. 
So might Paul Seymour who had 5 starting seasons clearing a path for OJ. etc. he was a 10/10 as a blocking TE, a 1/10 as a pass catching threat. Kind of the platonic ideal of a Lee Smith type. 
Still … will we ever have a legit threat at TE? I mean, it’s only been 60 years now.  

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Something like...

1. Ernie Warlick
2. Pete Metzelaars
3. Keith McKellar
4. Jay Riemersma
5. Charles Clay

Given the "greats" on this list I guess Scott Chandler could probably slide in there somewhere.  When Clay wasn't injured he was a pretty decent TE. 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

You made me look up a couple of those names. You know what? Reuben Grant had one really good season and a couple ok ones. He may make this list. 
So might Paul Seymour who had 5 starting seasons clearing a path for OJ. etc. he was a 10/10 as a blocking TE, a 1/10 as a pass catching threat. Kind of the platonic ideal of a Lee Smith type. 
Still … will we ever have a legit threat at TE? I mean, it’s only been 60 years now.  

Yeah, Seymour was a #1 draft pick as an OT from Michigan who ended up getting moved to TE. I thought he would’ve been better at LT than Dave Foley, but it all worked out I guess. The best thing about him IMO was when the Bills fleeced the Steelers by trading him for Frank Lewis.

3 hours ago, Logic said:

Something like...

1. Ernie Warlick
2. Pete Metzelaars
3. Keith McKellar
4. Jay Riemersma
5. Charles Clay

Knox has a good chance to be #2 on this list in two years.  More athletic than all of them.