"Pittsburgh Confused Josh Allen" - Chris Simms

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

*sigh* Or maybe not.  Please go watch with an attempt at an open mind and go read Kubiak's article and then come back and talk about it.

The whole point of the piece is that the Steelers were exploiting our game plan by using what is normally a strength (option routes where the receivers have flexibility to change what they do based on what they 'read" from the defense) and turning it into a weakness.  The coaches and Josh needed to understand what was being done in order to make adjustments that will fix it. 

There are probably some other things the coaches could have tried but I think it's probably simplistic to say "just make adjustments".

There was a series in the NO v Packers game where Sean Payton called seven straight rushing plays, including on 3d and 13 (when he knew he was going for it on 4th down).  It led to a Saints TD.  At the time, it was only 10-0, but it completely demoralized the Pack defense. I’d love to see that kind of commitment to the run from Daboll, at least once in a while, especially when we have the lead. 

14 minutes ago, mannc said:

There was a series in the NO v Packers game where Sean Payton called seven straight rushing plays, including on 3d and 13 (when he knew he was going for it on 4th down).  It led to a Saints TD.  At the time, it was only 10-0, but it completely demoralized the Pack defense. I’d love to see that kind of commitment to the run from Daboll, at least once in a while, especially when we have the lead. 

It did show up once in a while last season. 

For example, we ran 8 straight running plays in the 4th against the Steelers last year.

We had a lot of run plays in the first NE game, including 9 straight run plays in the first NE game culminating in a TD (3Q-4Q)

Think there were a couple other games which featured a good stretch of running - Chargers?

The issue I think many of us have isn't that he does it "once in a while", it's that he doesn't do it enough that teams feel we have a capable running threat and game-plan us accordingly.  We're kind of the anti-Poebird

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It did show up once in a while last season. 

For example, we ran 8 straight running plays in the 4th against the Steelers last year.

We had a lot of run plays in the first NE game, including 9 straight run plays in the first NE game culminating in a TD (3Q-4Q)

Think there were a couple other games which featured a good stretch of running - Chargers?

The issue I think many of us have isn't that he does it "once in a while", it's that he doesn't do it enough that teams feel we have a capable running threat and game-plan us accordingly.  We're kind of the anti-Poebird

Those instances you cited were, if I’m not mistaken, late in games when we were just trying to run the clock.  NO did it in the first half, with the outcome very much in doubt.  it opened things up for Jameis later.

The problem is, we’re not a balanced offense. That’s fine when you’re playing against lower tier teams, but good teams will usually find a way to shut down one-dimensional offenses, no matter how good the QB is.  And that goes double when the weather’s not great, like in the Ravens game.  

22 hours ago, 97bills said:

We might have to be a run heavy team for a few weeks because you better believe every team now is going to play us like this. I would even bet teams are willing to let us run a little until we show we can stick with it and score.  

I doubt it.  This team can't run block either. They are worse at it than pass blocking.  If they go run heavy they won't be going far.

16 minutes ago, mannc said:

Those instances you cited were, if I’m not mistaken, late in games when we were just trying to run the clock.  NO did it in the first half, with the outcome very much in doubt.  it opened things up for Jameis later.

The problem is, we’re not a balanced offense. That’s fine when you’re playing against lower tier teams, but good teams will usually find a way to shut down one-dimensional offenses, no matter how good the QB is.  And that goes double when the weather’s not great, like in the Ravens game.  

The Pitts was late in the game

NE, as I said, was between the 3Q and 4Q when the game was tied but we were overall rush-heavy all game 38 rush attempts 18 pass attempts.

Chargers was 30 rush attempts 25 pass attempts

LIke I said, there are times when Daboll runs consistently or even leans on the run. 

But overall he doesn't do it often enough or consistently enough that teams say "OK, we got to defend the pass but damn, we better not sleep on their RBs or they'll go off on us".

Which is I think your point about not being a balanced offense?  Just like teams can choke down on Lamar Jackson because they know there are certain throws he can't or won't make, teams being able to say "I don't need to worry about THAT" makes them able to choke down on other aspects of our game.

5 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I doubt it.  This team can't run block either. They are worse at it than pass blocking.  If they go run heavy they won't be going far.

A bit oversimplified, or how do you think the Bills ran for 190 yds against NE, 172 yds against the Broncos, and 172 yards against the Broncos last season?

I promise, run blocking was involved.

But, it would be fair to say we could not run block against the better run defending teams. 

30 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

A bit oversimplified, or how do you think the Bills ran for 190 yds against NE, 172 yds against the Broncos, and 172 yards against the Broncos last season?

I promise, run blocking was involved.

But, it would be fair to say we could not run block against the better run defending teams. 

I would say that the Pats and the Broncos were 25th and 26th in rushing defense.  I would also say that a big chunk of the yards against the Broncos came from towards the end of the 3rd quarter when we were up like 20+ points. If you include Josh's yards with those specific rushing yards it was around 100 of those 172 yards.

So, yes of course they can run block but that's like saying every team in the league can run block.  It doesn't make them good at it.  They are bad at it and that was a fact last season.  It may not be this season but it's likely they aren't much different.

Edited by Scott7975

4 hours ago, Pirate Angel said:

Our offensive line got handled, that's what happened.

That's part of what happened.  Allen has repeatedly acknowledged that he had some easy throws he missed that might have changed the outcome

I put this up on another thread but I thought Jon Feliciano's reaction was interesting

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2021/09/bills-jon-feliciano-not-spiraling-after-tough-day-vs-cam-heyward-youre-gonna-get-got-sometimes.html

On 9/16/2021 at 9:00 AM, Greg S said:

Maybe next year McDermott will give the starters more preseason action then they got. The Steelers played their starters somewhat this preseason including Ben. I know last season their was no preseason but that was for everybody. This year some teams played their starters more than others. The Steelers certainly did over the Bills. That helps shake off the rust and gets players used to playing football again as opposed to not playing or playing very little.

Amazing the difference after Week 1 vs. after Week 3, huh?

We never should have lost that first game... however, it is just the kick in the pants the Bills needed. Now look at them!