"Pittsburgh Confused Josh Allen" - Chris Simms

11 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

They could have executed on the plays that were there and been solid on special teams and easily won that game.

I dunno about "easily", but yes, they could have won or tied the game with the plays they called.

They could also plausibly have made some adjustments that would likely have helped. 

But a core problem IMHO is if your OL allows a DL to get pressure and affect the QB with 3 or 4 guys, it's gonna be a Long Day and it's gonna be hard to run a consistent offense.  McDermott basically indicated he viewed that as a core problem in his postgame and Monday pressers, and so did Daboll on Monday.

11 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Which is why this is a major red flag in year number 4 after signing a record contract.

People keep blaming the oline, playcalling, etc which was no doubt part of the problem...but Allen made many bad mistakes and missed a lot of passes that franchise QB's simply make including the wide open downfield throw to Sanders.

Just really hope his head is clear and he comes out looking like 2020 Allen in Miami or I fear what things will look like especially from the fanbase on forums like this.

My belief is that he will (RE: bolded above).  He did mention that in his post-game presser (or possibly another presser earlier this week) that he was being too aggressive.  The good thing, for my mind anyway, is that we do have the 2020 season as a sample that shows Allen can play at an elite level.  All the tools are there and sometimes he mentally reverts.  I think we will see a more focused effort this week across the board from the team after last week's play.

29 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

As usual Simms breakdown is very instructive. I get that Steeler's disguised their coverage to confuse Allen but don't defences disguise their coverages routinely in an effort to confuse or deceive the QB and hasn't Allen shown that he is capable of making post snap reads? Sounds like Simms is saying that Pittsburg's understanding of the NE O is so deep that finding the open receiver was especially difficult involving additional levels of complexity, presenting Allen with something of a shell game.

Yeah, Simms argument is that Pitts. was exceptionally effective at covering our 5 WR (or 4 receivers + Motor) because they had a deep understanding of how to defend our route options.  (KC I believe did something similar.)

This also depends upon them being able to bring pressure with 3 or 4 guys so that they can cover our 5 receivers with 7 or 8 guys.  Most teams can't do that, or weren't able to last year.  If you understand the route options but you need to bring 5 to pressure, then you're 5 on 5 with a safety and chances are good one of our receivers gets open.

If our starting OL doesn't get its collective head together and pick it up and other defenses are, in fact, able to do this, it's gonna be a long season.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yeah, Simms argument is that Pitts. was exceptionally effective at covering our 5 WR (or 4 receivers + Motor) because they had a deep understanding of how to defend our route options.  (KC I believe did something similar.)

This also depends upon them being able to bring pressure with 3 or 4 guys so that they can cover our 5 receivers with 7 or 8 guys.  Most teams can't do that, or weren't able to last year.  If you understand the route options but you need to bring 5 to pressure, then you're 5 on 5 with a safety and chances are good one of our receivers gets open.

If our starting OL doesn't get its collective head together and pick it up and other defenses are, in fact, able to do this, it's gonna be a long season.

For years, KC and Pitt have been playoff teams who always had to assume they'd face NE in the postseason (and probably lose). It focuses the mind.

• Agree 1

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/jim-kubiak-josh-allen-reverts-to-old-ways-but-steelers-defense-deserves-credit/article_67b9ad0c-14ff-11ec-a026-dfbc223dbc13.html

Jim Kubiak wrote an amazing breakdown for the BN on the Steelers' gameplan complete with video. They didn't just confuse Allen but the entire OL as well, with rotating fronts, shifting Ingram to standup LB, bringing Tre Norwood to the line, etc, etc. he does a great job of explaining how they created the confusion.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

He was indeed confused but that's because the Steelers could really pressure using only their DL. Barely any blitzes. So Pittsburgh could have 7-8 guys in coverage.  Not many DL in the league will be that efficient and allow for that to happen! Especially if the game plan includes sweeps, roll outs, more runs, TE or RB to at least chip block, etc. I feel  the OL wasn't helped even if of course these guys did get outplayed. The thing is, if they need help... help them! Simple enough.

Basically, all things that can and will likely get fixed. Plus have that TD pass to Sanders completed, the INT by White not negated, and it's a W. Even with the punt block, which should also be a rarity!

P.S. the Steelers are one of the top teams as well, not pushovers...

Edited by Jerome007

30 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

For years, KC and Pitt have been playoff teams who always had to assume they'd face NE in the postseason (and probably lose). It focuses the mind.

In KC case they have Steve Spagnuolo who when he was the DC for the Giants always did a good job shutting down Brady  in those Superbowls

12 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

I hear you, but watching the eyes is what defenses do. Nearly always. And Allen does a good job these days in looking them off.

But yeah, pressure always makes things tough. For any QB.

Correct I know.......what was clearly on display was the reality of how much more confident and better the secondary plays when they know they're getting home as quick as they were only sending 4.  

12 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Josh refused to take the underneath routes every time! They were there. He didn't take what the defense gave him....

Forced it down field instead 

This is spot on. Even when he had time he forced throws downfield. Dink and dunk wins the game.  Our WRs are good with run after catch often turning 4 and 5 yard receptions into 6 and 8 yard gains. 

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Josh refused to take the underneath routes every time! They were there. He didn't take what the defense gave him....

Forced it down field instead 

Tough Pittsburgh D and newly signed Josh. I believe he was pressing, trying to earn that cash. Steelers D plan created a perfect storm in that situation. And yet, he was still 8-9 on the TD drive. I am so pleased this didn't happen after 4-0.

So in summary of Steeler's Defense vs. Buffalo's Offense:

Pittsburgh better prepared - Ready and waiting - knowing what the Bills offense was going to try to do based on history

Daboll and Allen - both unprepared for Pittsburgh understanding the Bills offense as well as they did

Daboll's offense - too predictable if Pittsburgh was able to anticipate such detail

Allen - somewhat confused by defender movements being different than the pre-snap formations suggested

Buffalo O-line didn't provide Allen enough time to process the differences because pass rush was fierce even with only 4 rushers

All makes sense.

Coaching & Execution were subpar

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Completely agree - he seems to have a Mike Martz side to his personality where he cannot separate the tactics from the strategy - I'd bet serious money against him succeeding as a head coach.

Clearly you have your Dabol skeptics (like me) and supporters. I'm not a fan of 5 wide. I'm not a fan of seeing Josh run 7 designed qb draws. Trick plays on 4th down are extremely risky. I'd like to see us run just a little more. Singletary looked amazing on that late drive. There are days when almost everything Dabol calls works great and then there's games like last week or the Baltimore playoff game. He's frustrating and it reflects in the way Josh plays. This team needs to improve in-game adjustments. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, QCity said:

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/jim-kubiak-josh-allen-reverts-to-old-ways-but-steelers-defense-deserves-credit/article_67b9ad0c-14ff-11ec-a026-dfbc223dbc13.html

Jim Kubiak wrote an amazing breakdown for the BN on the Steelers' gameplan complete with video. They didn't just confuse Allen but the entire OL as well, with rotating fronts, shifting Ingram to standup LB, bringing Tre Norwood to the line, etc, etc. he does a great job of explaining how they created the confusion.

OOOOh OOooh Thank you!  Kubiak's stuff is one of the primary reasons why I subscribe to TBN.  I've been waiting for it - off to read it!

41 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

So in summary of Steeler's Defense vs. Buffalo's Offense:

Pittsburgh better prepared - Ready and waiting - knowing what the Bills offense was going to try to do based on history

Daboll and Allen - both unprepared for Pittsburgh understanding the Bills offense as well as they did

Daboll's offense - too predictable if Pittsburgh was able to anticipate such detail

Allen - somewhat confused by defender movements being different than the pre-snap formations suggested

Buffalo O-line didn't provide Allen enough time to process the differences because pass rush was fierce even with only 4 rushers

All makes sense.

Coaching & Execution were subpar

I think this sums it up pretty well.

I would say that Daboll and Allen were unprepared for Pitt's DL to still be able to rush with 4 or even 3, given Tuitt on IR and thus unprepared for Pitt to be able to cover the WR as they did

Our OL was just soft as the flabby underbelly of a pregnant warthog

My guess is that every DC in the league pretty much knows our route concepts by now, but they can't defend them well with 5 or even 6 guys

But everyone's got a plan until you get punched in the mouth.  The question is do you adjust, and they didn't

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Logic said:

I believe what Chris Simms said is correct.

I also believe -- to echo what someone said on Twitter yesterday -- that any time an opposing defense can rush four, drop seven, and get to the quarterback as easily as the Steelers did, that quarterback is going to have a bad game 99% of the time.

To prove that you're 100% correct here all you have to do is go back and re-watch last seasons Super Bowl and see how Mahomes struggled greatly.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, QCity said:

I want to loop back and give this props.  Kubiak does a fantastic job both with film showing some plays where, for example "Allen uncharacteristically misses Beasley" then goes on to explain why. It's not because Allen suddenly can't throw, he was expecting Beasley to run a different route:

The Steelers only rushed four players, and they were all on Allen’s right side. Pittsburgh did not rush anyone to Allen’s left, which was unusual and brilliant. The complexity of this defensive look made Allen uneasy and he misread what Beasley was going to do.  Beasley tried to sit in the hole of the zone on his option route while Allen was expecting him to break to the outside.

He goes on to show, with diagrams, some of the ways Pitts. succeeded in getting home with a 4-man rush - for example, by overloading one or the other side of the line, very well disguised with pre-snap motion

Conclusion:

The blocked punt that was returned for a touchdown by the Steelers in the fourth quarter not only sealed the game, but visibly took the life out of the Bills.   

Finally, and perhaps most importantly for the Bills, Allen's performance was a reversion to a big-play mentality. He was constantly pressing the football down the field and into the teeth of the zone coverage, instead of patiently and methodically carving the defense piece by piece. This is concerning for the Bills because their success hinges upon disciplined quarterback decisions. 

I believe it is fair to say the Buffalo Bills lost this football game more than the Steelers won it. It was a perfect concoction of poor decisions and shaky execution. In short, there were too many missed opportunities for any amount of talent or energy to overcome.

Unsolicited unpaid shill:

I dunno what TBN is charging now, they had a $1/month deal for a while.  IMHO Kubiak's breakdown every week is totally worth that and more.

why was there so little pre-snap motion?

JA lost Barkley as a sideline coach, Trubs and JA is different than Barkley and JA on the sideline.

Then they did him no favors by not adding pre-snap motion.

It is my understanding that if you motion a WR or other player, and another player moves to follow him, it is man.

If an offensive player moves pre-snap and no one, or a whole unit shifts (say LBs) then it is zone.

JA still needs some pre-snap reads, help the man out!

Edited by ThurmanThomasEnglishMuffin
  • Like (+1) 1