"Pittsburgh Confused Josh Allen" - Chris Simms

He doesn't have film to roll but I think he does a good job explaining the philosophy he believes Pittsburgh was working on, and why it was especially confusing to the Bills.  "Route running concepts - if it's one safety do this, if it's two safeties, do that....coach, I don't know what that was, it was two safeties and then it was one safety"

Pointed out that the Bills are fundamentally running a version of the NE offense and that NE was Pittsburgh's "Daddy" through the 2010s.

Says that Pittsburgh developed a good understanding of that offense and how to attack it.

Says they took calculated risks that would often leave a man open.  Said their defense breaks a lot of the rules the QB operates with and that flusters the QB.

Walks through the 3rd down play after McKenzie's great kickoff return and explains how Steelers played it

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

A great strategy is being unpredictable. Bills sat Moss & telegraphed they were good rolling with two RBs. If the Bills had intended on switching up their game plan and pounding the rock, then yes they should have suited Moss up. Bills played right into Pittsburgh’s gameplan. They could have started the game with 15 runs and caught Pittsburgh by surprise. Until Daboll learns to have more variety & is willing to attack multiple ways, the Bills Offense will always be easier to gameplan against. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

I don’t think it was very “confusing” Heyward was just in his face all game. 

I’d be confused as to how my o-line just laid an egg that bad at home on opening day.

I wish Simms would have gone through a bit more film, but I honestly thought Daboll was rolling with 4 or 5 wide so much in part because that's what he seems to do to help Josh determine the coverage when it's confusing.  He did it a lot in 2019.

But yes, what would ordinarily help Josh was that give 'em a bit of time, one or more of his receivers will get open.

• Agree 5

2 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

A great strategy is being unpredictable. Bills sat Moss & telegraphed they were good rolling with two RBs. If the Bills had intended on switching up their game plan and pounding the rock, then yes they should have suited Moss up. Bills played right into Pittsburgh’s gameplan. They could have started the game with 15 runs and caught Pittsburgh by surprise. Until Daboll learns to have more variety & is willing to attack multiple ways, the Bills Offense will always be easier to gameplan against. 

This is my biggest problem with Daboll. He isn’t flexible because he doesn’t want to be flexible. It’s his game plan and he alone knows all. Pure arrogance. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 3

Interesting.

I especially like when he  says Pittsburgh knew Buffalo's rules.

Other teams were watching. We'll have to make some changes.

The way to beat that was for Beasley to fake inside and go long down the sideline. But the Steelers knew that's not the way his rules run on plays like that.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

This is my biggest problem with Daboll. He isn’t flexible because he doesn’t want to be flexible. It’s his game plan and he alone knows all. Pure arrogance. 

I recall Tua being inserted into the National championship game over Hurts was a decision made by Saban. Perhaps General McD should tell his commander to mix it up?

29 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

They're perfectly capable of pounding the rock with Singletary. Moss is better, but Singletary runs through the middle productively all the time. Hell, he did it in this game. The problem wasn't who they sat, it was the plays they called, and that the Steelers had a terrific game plan to handle our passing game. And that our OL couldn't handle the Steelers 4-man rush.

Of course they didn't start the game with 15 runs. We've been successful passing. We were successful passing against the Steelers. 

The game AFTER someone does what PIttsburgh did is the game you consider running more and crossing things up.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Agree 5

17 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

They could have executed on the plays that were there and been solid on special teams and easily won that game.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

They're perfectly capable of pounding the rock with Singletary. The problem wasn't who they sat, it was the plays they called, and that the Steelers had a terrific game plan to handle our passing game. And that our OL couldn't handle the Steelers 4-man rush.

Of course they didn't start the game with 15 runs. We've been successful passing. We were successful passing against the Steelers. 

The game AFTER someone does what PIttsburgh did is the game you consider running more and crossing things up.

Having 3 RBs active increases chances if one goes down you aren’t down to 1 back. You can keep a fresh rotation. 3 is best if you plan on running.

The Steelers gameplan was predicated on our passing game staying similar to what’s it’s been. Defending our pass game by only rushing 4 guys means they need a fresh front 4. Running early takes the wind out of their sails. TJ Watt is 6’4” 255. I bet putting a 6’6” 330 OL on him 15 consecutive plays firing off the snap and bodying him wears down his legs, arms & back muscles. 

If teams with good defenses play us similarity it makes sense to run early and use the early parts of the game to inflict damage on their front 4. Stay in 11 personnel that’s fine, but find ways to run earlier in the game. Doing so will reap a weaker more tired pass rush and may open up the play action and screen pass game. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

Having 3 RBs active increases chances if one goes down you aren’t down to 1 back. You can keep a fresh rotation. 3 is best if you plan on running.

The Steelers gameplan was predicated on our passing game staying similar to what’s it’s been. Defending our pass game by only rushing 4 guys means they need a fresh front 4. Running early takes the wind out of their sails. TJ Watt is 6’4” 255. I bet putting a 6’6” 330 OL on him 15 consecutive plays firing off the snap and bodying him wears down his legs, arms & back muscles. 

If teams with good defenses play us similarity it makes sense to run early and use the early parts of the game to inflict damage on their front 4. Stay in 11 personnel that’s fine, but find ways to run earlier in the game. Doing so will reap a weaker more tired pass rush and may open up the play action and screen pass game. 

Sure, there are advantages and disadvantages to deactivating anybody. That includes Moss. But deactivating him didn't create problems that were a serious part of losing this game. Nobody was injured. Nobody wasn't fresh. The Steelers had done all their game planning before knowing Moss wouldn't play.

And yeah, the Steelers game plan was based on our not making significant changes to the  pass game. So were the game plans of the 13 teams we beat in the regular season last year and the two we beat in the playoffs. We make changes each game. We did for this one. When they adjust to this, it might involve running a bit more. But it won't involve running so much that we wear down front fours. And teams have tried to wear out Cam Heyward and TJ Watt before. It hasn't worked. They handle it.  

They're great players and they're in good shape. But it does take the ball out of the hands of your quarterback, which in our case means taking it out of Josh Allen's hands, not something we'll want to do a lot of. 

Wouldn't mind them running a bit more. I've said so in several threads. Wouldn't have turned this game around, though. And like you, I would love to see them go back up to last year's levels of play action (which worked great last  year even without us running a lot).

But no, we're not going to turn into a run-heavy team. Wouldn't make sense.

25 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

They could have executed on the plays that were there and been solid on special teams and easily won that game.

There weren’t many plays available to be made, hence my point. Running the ball isn’t glorious but it does lead to less holding penalties and wears down the pass rush. If we needed to open up the passing later and pray Sanders and Allen can connect on a 40 yard bomb, or 20 yard in breaking contested route - I’m all for it. We need to be more unpredictable against top 5 defenses and running the ball and taking 2, 3, or 4 yards isn’t surrender. 

44 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

Wow....you couldn't have said it better. We can't just roll Josh out there every week and expect him to throw it 40+ times while running for his life behind a mediocre OL.  If Daboll doesn't better anticipate his opponents strategy and switch it up, he'll fail. And I don't want him to take Josh down with him.....

I watched the replay on NFL Network tonight.  

The Pittsburgh D was really following Josh's eyes - Allen and the coaches did not do a good job of recognizing that - or, more likely, I think that's because we were rattled by oh....the 24 pressures.  Makes it tough to find a rhythm.  Good news it can't possibly be worse then that even against Washington.  

Look at the series in the 4th quarter 7 mins left we're down 20-10.  We get to the 9 and imo run the 3 worst calls of the game not including the "We know we can't block so let's try this 4th and 1 backwards pass play."

Allen designed run 2 yards. 

Singletary right 2 yards (he's touched the ball almost every play this series)

3rd down Allen looked at Singletary in the flat the whole way - the Steelers only rushed 3 and Allen, who likely from the pressure all game just immediately went to Singletary in the flat.  He wasn't going to make the 4 defenders on that side of the field miss.  If Allen felt comfortable about his protection he moves around and makes a better play.  Or maybe put the quicker Breida in.  Idk.  

He should have looked that way......then went to his left and he had Beasley open on an high low combo route bc the Steelers were all watching Allen's eyes and kind of left Beasley.  

This is what extreme pressure does to offenses.  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Wow....you couldn't have said it better. We can't just roll Josh out there every week and expect him to throw it 40+ times while running for his life behind a mediocre OL.  If Daboll doesn't better anticipate his opponents strategy and switch it up, he'll fail. And I don't want him to take Josh down with him.....

How is he going to better anticipate his opponents strategy when it's week one and when the opponent totally switches the strategy they've used for years. 

When you always expect your opponent to switch things up, you'll be wrong most of the time. Most teams make small changes, occasionally bigger. It's not possible to correctly predict big changes any more than very occasionally. Expecting Daboll to correctly anticipate what the Steelers were going to do is ridiculous. What you hope your coaches do is perceive and adapt. Easier said than done, but it's far more possible than correctly anticipating major changes in strategy, especially in week one. That's where blame should be applied.

7 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

I watched the replay on NFL Network tonight.  

The Pittsburgh D was really following Josh's eyes - Allen and the coaches did not do a good job of recognizing that - or, more likely, I think that's because we were rattled by oh....the 24 pressures.  Makes it tough to find a rhythm.  Good news it can't possibly be worse then that even against Washington.  

Look at the series in the 4th quarter 7 mins left we're down 20-10.  We get to the 9 and imo run the 3 worst calls of the game not including the "We know we can't block so let's try this 4th and 1 backwards pass play."

Allen designed run 2 yards. 

Singletary right 2 yards (he's touched the ball every play here)

3rd down Allen looked at Singletary in the flat the whole way - the Steelers only rushed 3 and Allen, who likely from the pressure all game just immediately went to Singletary in the flat.  He wasn't going to make the 4 defenders on that side of the field miss.  If Allen felt comfortable about his protection he moves around and makes a better play.  

He should have looked that way......then went to his left and he had Beasley open on an high low combo route bc the Steelers were all watching Allen's eyes and kind of left Beasley.  

This is what extreme pressure does to offenses.  

I hear you, but watching the eyes is what defenses do. Nearly always. And Allen does a good job these days in looking them off.

But yeah, pressure always makes things tough. For any QB.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I wish Simms would have gone through a bit more film, but I honestly thought Daboll was rolling with 4 or 5 wide so much in part because that's what he seems to do to help Josh determine the coverage when it's confusing.  He did it a lot in 2019.

But yes, what would ordinarily help Josh was that give 'em a bit of time, one or more of his receivers will get open.

And as Simms mentions the Pats have had success in spread and empty formations against the Pittsburgh D over the years. I mentioned that the other day. The Bills were outcoached on Sunday, no question.... they had a plan that was based on something but it didn't work and they struggled to adapt. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 6

Thanks Hap, as I always like hearing what Simms has to say.  It did look like they were clogging up lane from 15-25 yards.  Either Allen had to be more crisp on the deep ball like he was last year, or what they did with shirt throws, but they could’ve stuck with the run when Allen figured out there tendencies dropping 8.

Miami plays predominantly man, and doesn’t have the horse up front as the Steelers.  Their secondary is better.  I can see more running this game, and McD without saying anything is going to make a change in the line, as well as I’ll bet he’ll override Daboll a couple of times.  We just won’t know it.

• Agree 1