Happy birthday Aaron Schobel

Brennan Huff

17 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

Happy birthday Aaron Schobel! Now was he an underrated pass rusher on some terrible teams? Or an overachiever who quit on his team and retired? Discuss…

He was a highly regarded pass rusher on a terrible team.  He retired rather than play out of his natural position in a poorly conceived 3-4 defense for which he was not a good fit.  I'm sure he regrets that after seeing all the praise Kelsay received for giving it the ole college try out at OLB.

the only thing new is the history you dont know...

second to the immortal Bruce in career team sacks 

NFL Draft:2001 / Round: 2 / Pick: 46

Career history

Buffalo Bills (2001–2009)

Total tackles:483

Sacks:78.0

Forced fumbles:19

Fumble recoveries:8

Interceptions:3

Defensive touchdowns:1

Schobel earned his first Pro Bowl appearance in 2006. His best season as a pro came in 2006 when he posted a career high 14 sacks. 

Schobel, a first team alternate for the 2007 Pro Bowl, was called upon to relieve an injured Jason Taylor in the Pro Bowl. This was his second consecutive year in the Pro Bowl.

He started in 116 consecutive games with the Bills from 2003 until 2008, when he was on the inactive list for a game against the San Diego Chargers due to an injured foot. After a team-leading, 10-sack 2009 season, Schobel informed the Bills that he was considering retirement. To add on, new coach Gailey said that he was looking to switch from a 4-3 to 3-4 defense It was reported by the Buffalo News on May 10, 2010 that Schobel & his wife June had sold their Orchard Park house, further adding to the speculation of his impending departure from the Bills. On July 27, 2010 Aaron Schobel announced he was 70/30 on returning to the Bills.

On August 4, 2010, the Buffalo Bills released Aaron Schobel. He never signed with any other team; being released instead cemented his decision to retire, which he did on August 16.

Edited by First Round Bust
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, First Round Bust said:

the only thing new is the history you dont know...

second to the immortal Bruce in career team sacks 

NFL Draft:2001 / Round: 2 / Pick: 46

Career history

Buffalo Bills (2001–2009)

Total tackles:483

Sacks:78.0

Forced fumbles:19

Fumble recoveries:8

Interceptions:3

Defensive touchdowns:1

Schobel earned his first Pro Bowl appearance in 2006. His best season as a pro came in 2006 when he posted a career high 14 sacks. 

Schobel, a first team alternate for the 2007 Pro Bowl, was called upon to relieve an injured Jason Taylor in the Pro Bowl. This was his second consecutive year in the Pro Bowl.

He started in 116 consecutive games with the Bills from 2003 until 2008, when he was on the inactive list for a game against the San Diego Chargers due to an injured foot. After a team-leading, 10-sack 2009 season, Schobel informed the Bills that he was considering retirement. To add on, new coach Gailey said that he was looking to switch from a 4-3 to 3-4 defense It was reported by the Buffalo News on May 10, 2010 that Schobel & his wife June had sold their Orchard Park house, further adding to the speculation of his impending departure from the Bills. On July 27, 2010 Aaron Schobel announced he was 70/30 on returning to the Bills.

On August 4, 2010, the Buffalo Bills released Aaron Schobel. He never signed with any other team; being released instead cemented his decision to retire, which he did on August 16.

What makes you think that I didn’t know any of that? You can also throw in that he did consider an offer from Houston to come out of retirement, but I’m sure you already knew that….

37 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

Happy birthday Aaron Schobel! Now was he an underrated pass rusher on some terrible teams? Or an overachiever who quit on his team and retired? Discuss…

He’s the Sgoat! Dominant pass rusher who played a decade, not sure how that’s quitting. 

19 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

He was a highly regarded pass rusher on a terrible team.  He retired rather than play out of his natural position in a poorly conceived 3-4 defense for which he was not a good fit.  I'm sure he regrets that after seeing all the praise Kelsay received for giving it the ole college try out at OLB.

Basically the same BS we pulled on Mario Williams.

I remember rumors that Schobel considered coming out of retirement to play on that Dline with Hughes, Kyle, Mario, and Dareus. 

14 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

What makes you think that I didn’t know any of that? You can also throw in that he did consider an offer from Houston to come out of retirement, but I’m sure you already knew that….

I should have said...the only thing new is the history WE dont know....not meant to criticize or get personal as that is a saying a trivia-history oriented person like myself uses...

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, First Round Bust said:

I should have said...the only thing new is the history WE dont know....not meant to criticize or get personal as that is a saying a trivia-history oriented person like myself uses...

Fair enough

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Can I vote "Both"?

Yes you can because I also have mixed feelings about him