AEW (wrestling)

May Day 10

Is entertaining pro wrestling going to come back?  This feels like a hogan/nwo moment for the aew.  Daniel Bryan also rumored to be joining.  

I haven't watched wrestling for years and find wwe unwatchable now (I've tried).  Seeing this pop with Jim Ross announcing pumps the adrenaline a bit.  I immediately checked the aew broadcast schedule

23 minutes ago, NobesBLO13 said:

I tried watching, it’s pretty terrible for the most part. Jericho, MJF, and the girls are the only thing decent.

Please, AEW has some of the best wrestling going. Lots of young talent being given opportunities to learn from the veterans. Meanwhile on WWE they have an evil mind controlling doll and Almost a Super Hero as women’s champ.

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

Is entertaining pro wrestling going to come back?  This feels like a hogan/nwo moment for the aew.  Daniel Bryan also rumored to be joining.  

I haven't watched wrestling for years and find wwe unwatchable now (I've tried).  Seeing this pop with Jim Ross announcing pumps the adrenaline a bit.  I immediately checked the aew broadcast schedule

Wed 8 pm and Fri 10pm on TNT. And dark matches (younger talent) Mon 7pm on YouTube.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, PastaJoe said:

Please, AEW has some of the best wrestling going. Lots of young talent being given opportunities to learn from the veterans. Meanwhile on WWE they have an evil mind controlling doll and Almost a Super Hero as women’s champ.

Wed 8 pm and Fri 10pm on TNT. And dark matches (younger talent) Mon 7pm on YouTube.

I don’t watch WWE either, it’s total crap too. That evil mind control thing you’re talking about does sound dumb, but it worked for the Undertaker and the urn.

AEW is doing the same thing WCW did in the 90s, bring in all these old WWF guys to try and get people to watch, the difference being people actually watched WCW. 

12 hours ago, NobesBLO13 said:

I don’t watch WWE either, it’s total crap too. That evil mind control thing you’re talking about does sound dumb, but it worked for the Undertaker and the urn.

AEW is doing the same thing WCW did in the 90s, bring in all these old WWF guys to try and get people to watch, the difference being people actually watched WCW. 

Actually most of the AEW roster are wrestlers from various independent promotions. And if WWE wants to let good talent go like Jericho, Miro, and Moxley, why wouldn’t they pick them up. In less then 2 years AEW already beat NXT in ratings, and are winning the key 18-34 demographic.

6 hours ago, PastaJoe said:

Actually most of the AEW roster are wrestlers from various independent promotions. And if WWE wants to let good talent go like Jericho, Miro, and Moxley, why wouldn’t they pick them up. In less then 2 years AEW already beat NXT in ratings, and are winning the key 18-34 demographic.

NXT, That’s the minor league though right? That’s like being the Mets and bragging that you beat the Bisons. (Although some Met fans on this site probably would brag about that hehe). Ratings are still bad for both companies.

And the OP was a YouTube video about CM Punk, and then talked about Daniel Bryant possibly joining as well, which was my point, they’re bringing in old WWE guys to attract an audience just like WCW did.

If their young talent was that good I don’t see them blowing all this money on the WWE guys. And it’s still not working for ratings.

I do like that zombie girl AEW had though. She was pretty bad ass. Did they end up keeping her?

Edited by NobesBLO13

6 hours ago, NobesBLO13 said:

NXT, That’s the minor league though right? That’s like being the Mets and bragging that you beat the Bisons. (Although some Met fans on this site probably would brag about that hehe). Ratings are still bad for both companies.

And the OP was a YouTube video about CM Punk, and then talked about Daniel Bryant possibly joining as well, which was my point, they’re bringing in old WWE guys to attract an audience just like WCW did.

If their young talent was that good I don’t see them blowing all this money on the WWE guys. And it’s still not working for ratings.

I do like that zombie girl AEW had though. She was pretty bad ass. Did they end up keeping her?

Vince was so upset that NXT lost to AEW he moved it to another night and then had champ Karrion Kross job on his RAW debut. For a promotion only 2 years old AEW is doing fine, now with a second show on Fri nights.

Yes, the zombie girl Abadon is still there. More often seen on AEW Dark Mon 7pm on YouTube.

Edited by PastaJoe

I was a huge wrestling fan as a kid in the 80’s, as a teenager during the attitude era, and into my 20’s. The current product is horrendous. CM Punk was a little after my time but I obviously know who he is and I know his story. I watched that clip of his AEW debut and I definitely “marked” out a little bit. I may give it a try..

23 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

I was a huge wrestling fan as a kid in the 80’s, as a teenager during the attitude era, and into my 20’s. The current product is horrendous. CM Punk was a little after my time but I obviously know who he is and I know his story. I watched that clip of his AEW debut and I definitely “marked” out a little bit. I may give it a try..

Im the same way.  I wasnt a huge fan in the 80s, but generally knew what was going on.  I caught on in the attitude era and watched ECW a bit a rode it into 2004-ish until it seemed to get a bit stale and repetitive.

I did try to watch a few times and just cant.  I did catch a build-up to wrestlemania and saw CM Punk and thought that this dude had it and was the one 'charismatic' wrestler who brought me back to the era that managed to hook me.  His departure from WWE was right then and there though and I was like 'figures'.

I have tried to like it numerous times.  I just cannot get into anything they are selling.  3-hour Raw episodes on Monday?  good god who has time for that?  Not to mention uninteresting and boring.  I also dislike the huge push for the women's division.  Dont really care, although I admit the 1 Wrestlemania I saw's best match was Charlotte Flair vs someone... but they took bumps way tougher than any of the male wrestlers.

My hope is AEW gets some of these cult figures like Punk, Bryan, and Wyatt and takes a huge chunk out of WWE...  Then has the follow through to get some good writers and managers to do it all the correct way and give people what they want.  That would force McMahon to respond by pushing the envelope again.  Like hopefully we are past the point when they get threatened or slip and they have The Rock appear to lob a bunch of his catch phrases out one time, or bring back zero-charisma Brock Lesnar for a boring premium PPV match that he will win and then disappear for another year or 2.

• Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

Same. Attitude era was great. Monday night wars. I stopped watching in early 2000s but would still take my uncle to events. The last three events we went to were beyond terrible and that includes a WrestleMania. 

• Sad 1

WWE is pretty much unwatchable. AEW reminds me of a more entertaining WCW from the late 90s - to this point they haven't had the star power, but they are infinitely more entertaining in the clips I've watched and I'm rooting for them. I haven't watched wrestling consistently since the early aughts, but AEW looks good from the outside.

• Like (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

Daniel Bryan and Adam Cole made their debuts tonight. I’m not familiar with Cole but I know he’s a big name. WWE is in trouble

Adam Cole was one of the big names in NXT, and is Britt Baker’s boyfriend. WWE is too big to be in trouble, but they are losing the key 18-34 demographic to AEW.  WWE has decided to become more family / kid friendly entertainment, while AEW appeals to the more hardcore wrestling fans in the spirit of the old ECW.

54 minutes ago, PastaJoe said:

Adam Cole was one of the big names in NXT, and is Britt Baker’s boyfriend. WWE is too big to be in trouble, but they are losing the key 18-34 demographic to AEW.  WWE has decided to become more family / kid friendly entertainment, while AEW appeals to the more hardcore wrestling fans in the spirit of the old ECW.

The problem with WWE trying to be kid friendly, is their shows are on when mosr kids are asleep.  They dont have Saturday mornings like they did when I was a kid.

AEW has me interested in turning on wrestling again.  Much better than old ECW which was appealing for violence and sex appeal.  A lot closer to 90s WCW.  Its turning into a very good product.

4 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

The problem with WWE trying to be kid friendly, is their shows are on when mosr kids are asleep.  They dont have Saturday mornings like they did when I was a kid.

AEW has me interested in turning on wrestling again.  Much better than old ECW which was appealing for violence and sex appeal.  A lot closer to 90s WCW.  Its turning into a very good product.

I agree that AEW is the better wrestling product. I was just pointing out what WWE is doing, not that I like it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/6/2021 at 9:15 AM, thenorthremembers said:

WWE is starting to become about as relevant as ESPN and MTV are in current times.

AEW is generating a lot of positive buzz and they are easily the biggest non-WWE promotion since WCW. The large influx of ex-WWE talent and the semi-mainstream momentum is really starting to get AEW from nice second promotion to really pushing themselves to push WWE for the top spot in the coming year. WWE will be fine. They have a loyal audience, TV deals locked in for multiple years, a billion dollar war-chest of cash reserves and a lot of other advantages. But AEW can make a lot of noise in the industry. It is probably one of the better times to be a wrestling fan with two top promotions going again for the first time in over 20 years.

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.