A or An Historic .... What Say You?

Gugny

A or An Historic .... What Say You?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. "A" or "An" ?

10 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Depends how breathy I am when enunciating 'history'.  

I know you were trying (A for effort) to be funny, but you actually brought up a good point.

If the phrase is "... history lesson," I would say "a history lesson."

But with "historic," I use "an."

• Agree 3

i assume the rules are the same that you use "a" when the next letter starts with a consonant.  that being said, it may be that both are acceptable at this point.  at one point i was an ace with grammar.  it's weird.  graduate school ruined me in many ways.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, teef said:

i assume the rules are the same that you use "a" when the next letter starts with a consonant.  that being said, it may be that both are acceptable at this point.  at one point i was an ace with grammar.  it's weird.  graduate school ruined me in many ways.

i think both are acceptable and grammatically correct.  Truly one's personal preference.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

It depends on how pretentious my audience is. The same goes for the pronunciations of "niche" (nitch /neesh) and homage (AHmij/ohMAHZH).

I pronounced homage "HAHmij," and was quickly "corrected," by a co-worker.  She turned around and asked, "do you mean ohMAHZH?" to which I quickly responded, "No.  I said HAHmij and I meant to say HAHmij."

Skank.

• Haha (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I pronounced homage "HAHmij," and was quickly "corrected," by a co-worker.  She turned around and asked, "do you mean ohMAHZH?" to which I quickly responded, "No.  I said HAHmij and I meant to say HAHmij."

Skank.

If 45 had been invited back, I bet you would have been a diplomat. 😁

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Skank.

• Like (+1) 1

From Mr.Webster:

"If the word begins with a vowel sound, use an, such as in "an honorable man," and with spoken acronyms like "an FBI agent." Words like historic, with a pronounced "H," can use either a or an. In the eternal, and generally fruitless, quest to find some way to make English make sense, many people look for simple rules to apply to our language.

• Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Draconator said:

I asked my literacy center owner wife, and she says "A". Think like you're reading in a book, "That is a historic passage" was the example. "A" is a more common usage.

I feel like I used "A" for most of my life, but realized in recent years that I've transitioned to "An."  Now using, "A," feel very weird to me.

What say ye?

A utility...

AN utility...

It does break the "vowel rule."

1 hour ago, ThurmanThomasEnglishMuffin said:

Sister Mary Lou beat me with a ruler to reinforce that 'An' precedes a vowel. The 'A' or 'An' as acceptable before 'h' could have saved my knuckles much pain....

We are reaching a historical milestone' sounds right.

yet

'I completed that ticket a hour ago' sounds like a rube.

You should have shived Sister Scary Mary Lou win A utility knife! 

😉 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.