Afghanistan

ANNIVERSARY OF A DISASTER

We are observing the second anniversary of one of America’s worst foreign policy fiascos, the botched withdrawal from Afghanistan. It was on August 26, 2021, when 13 American Marines and at least 170 Afghan civilians were murdered by a Taliban bomber at the Kabul airport. To say that the anniversary has passed quietly is an understatement.

A writer for the Atlantic, Franklin Foer, has an upcoming book on the withdrawal called The Last Politician. An excerpt was made public today, and several media outlets covered it.

(snip)

Foer’s book includes this Biden quote:

According to Foer, “everything [Biden had] witnessed from his seat in the Situation Room confirmed his belief that exiting a war without hope was the best and only course.”

As for the angry reaction, Biden considered it “overheated,” reportedly telling an aide that “either the press is losing its mind, or I am.”

Biden is so far gone that, not only does he not care about 13 dead American Marines, along with hundreds of Afghans, he can’t understand why anyone else would care, either.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2023/08/anniversary-of-a-disaster.php

Priorities.

Pentagon Officials Worked To Finalize Climate Plan During Botched Afghanistan Withdrawal, Emails Show

by Brent Scher

In the midst of the Biden administration’s disastrous military withdrawal from Afghanistan, top Pentagon officials were working to get the Secretary of Defense to sign a major climate change initiative, according to emails obtained by The Daily Wire. In the two weeks between the fall of Kabul to the Taliban on August 15, 2021, and the final U.S. military flight out of Afghanistan on August 30, Pentagon officials were scrambling with the White House to finalize the Department of Defense Climate Adaptation Plan, a document that declares climate change a major national security risk.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/pentagon-frantically-worked-to-finalize-climate-plan-during-botched-afghanistan-withdrawal-emails-show

• Eyeroll 1

The Taliban have waged a systematic assault on freedom in Afghanistan, says UN human rights Chief.

https://apnews.com/article/afghanistan-taliban-un-human-rights-women-5613b81b95c9dc26e9204b9776284783

Afghanistan’s drug trade is booming two years after US withdrawal

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/afghanistan-s-drug-trade-is-booming-two-years-after-us-withdrawal/ar-AA1gvnYx

Edited by B-Man
  • Like (+1) 1

• 3 months later...

House Investigation Into Afghanistan Withdrawal Already Exposing Biden Administration's Incompetence

By Jeff Charles

FTA:  

During a hearing earlier this year, the committee heard testimonies describing the withdrawal effort.

“This whole thing has been a gutting experience. I never imagined I would witness the kind of gross abandonment, followed by career-preserving silence of senior leaders, military and civilian,” Lt. Col. David Scott Mann (Ret.) said.

There are approximately 775,000 Afghan war veterans. According to a survey, 73% of them feel betrayed by the withdrawal and 67% feel humiliated. Those who were there say they still suffer from what they experienced — including mothers carrying dead babies, the Taliban beating people, and people running for their lives.

“I think we’re on the front end of a mental health tsunami,” Lt. Col. Mann said. “Calls to the VA hotline have spiked 81% in the first year since the Afghan withdrawal and they keep coming.”

House Democrats have attempted to shift blame to the Trump administration for the botched withdrawal. 

https://redstate.com/jeffc/2023/12/18/house-investigation-into-afghanistan-withdrawal-already-exposing-biden-administrations-incompetence-n2167703

• Shocked 1

• 4 weeks later...

Report: Jill Biden Hampered Afghanistan Evacuation With Special Requests

346ad17c-1a30-44c1-84ee-c91c9339f378-1052x615.thumb.jpg.3571ad28572165951b637b9b7a525ccb.jpg

The disaster that took place in Afghanistan in 2021 no longer dominates the headlines, but the after-effects are still being felt. After the evacuation, which resulted in the murder of 13 American service members and countless Afghans, the Biden administration is still trying to clean up the mess it created.

With women and children set to starve in incredible numbers because of the haphazard pull-out, the president is now moving to issue an executive order that will use frozen funds from the Afghan central bank for humanitarian relief.

The problem with such an order is obvious. The Taliban is a terrorist organization masquerading as a legitimate government. Any money sent into the country is going to be misused and appropriated for nefarious activities. As to giving compensation to the 9/11 victims’ families, that feels like a rather convenient throw-in as Democrats face electoral doom in November.

Regardless, the question of how things got to this point remains important, and a recent report by the U.S. Army puts much of the blame on the decisions that emanated from the Biden administration during that fateful time. As expected, Joe Biden himself has already rejected its findings, but it includes a very interesting mention of Jill Biden.

Per the testimony of Navy Admiral Peter Vasely, who was running the operations center at Kabul’s airport during the evacuation, the First Lady and others were making special requests that ultimately ate up “bandwidth” and hampered the mission.

https://redstate.com/bonchie/2022/02/11/report-jill-biden-hampered-afghanistan-evacuation-with-special-requests-n520677

Well, I know from reading this posts here, I'm not supposed to dispute any military testimony.   Right?

Edited by B-Man
  • Shocked 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, T&C said:

Joey n crew getting blasted on this right now. 

Sounds more like a GQP hearing blows up in their face once again: 

"I was the overall commander and I and I alone bear full military responsibility for what happened at Abbey Gate," said former Retired Gen. Kenneth F. McKenzie Jr., who served as commander of U.S. Central Command from 2019 to 2022, during a congressional hearing.  For those who watch Fox, and love to misinterpret everything, that means it was an OPERATIONAL failure.  

The generals were all over the place, saying it was too slow and too late, but also saying that we should have kept 2,500 troops there, while also admitting that would have been a, "significant risk on U.S. forces. But is worth that risk."  Also saying that the takeover by the Taliban wouldn't have been "as swift" if we would have kept those 2,500 troops there under "moderate to significant risk'.  So iow, keep some forces there, in imminent danger, because it would have taken longer for the Taliban to take over.  Brilliant general, brilliant. 

31 minutes ago, daz28 said:

Sounds more like a GQP hearing blows up in their face once again: 

"I was the overall commander and I and I alone bear full military responsibility for what happened at Abbey Gate," said former Retired Gen. Kenneth F. McKenzie Jr., who served as commander of U.S. Central Command from 2019 to 2022, during a congressional hearing.  For those who watch Fox, and love to misinterpret everything, that means it was an OPERATIONAL failure.  

The generals were all over the place, saying it was too slow and too late, but also saying that we should have kept 2,500 troops there, while also admitting that would have been a, "significant risk on U.S. forces. But is worth that risk."  Also saying that the takeover by the Taliban wouldn't have been "as swift" if we would have kept those 2,500 troops there under "moderate to significant risk'.  So iow, keep some forces there, in imminent danger, because it would have taken longer for the Taliban to take over.  Brilliant general, brilliant. 

Yes, OPERATIONAL as in poor leadership from the top.  Not hard to understand.