You Can Only Pick One CD

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would go with Making Movies with 7 songs and arguably one of them bad. Great album.  :doh:

321701[/snapback]

I thought about Making Movies too. Overall it is probably thier best (altough I could make an argument for their debut too).

I went with Love Over Gold because of the title track and Telegraph Road.

I thought about Making Movies too.  Overall it is probably thier best (altough I could make an argument for their debut too). 

I went with Love Over Gold because of the title track and Telegraph Road.

321719[/snapback]

Actually, Alchemy may be the best. I forgot about that.

tough question! I can give you a list of albums that blew me away the first time I listened to them. They sounded so fresh-

Van Halen I(I was in third grade)

Doors-The Doors(fifth grade the first time I heard it)

AC/DC-Back in Black. You would have to be living under a rock the past 40 years to not know every riff on this album. If you are driving late at night and need to stay awake pop this baby in and turn the volume up!

Zepp!(any album-Zeppelin- I say the first album that got me hooked was I was really stoned in 7th grade and someone put on In Through the Outdoor. I was cooked and In The Evening sounded so great! I have been hooked since!)

Metallica-Kill Em All(the best Metallica album ever! I used to crank Seek and Destroy before high school football games- man that song gets me pumped up!)

Public Enemy- Fear of a Black Planet

Guns and Roses-Appetite for Destruction(fuggin huge when I was a freshman in college!)

Janes Addiction-Nothings Shocking-came out my sophmore year and was the heaviest, most beautiful thing I ever heard at that time

Nirvana-Nevermind-WOW! Came out my senior year in college. I was in a fraternity and we would play this album over and over at partys. I never heard anything like it!

Alice in Chains-Dirt. I was at Bar in New Haven(one of the coolest bars I have ever been) and this kid walks in with Dirt which he just bought and it just was released that day. He had the bartender throw it in the cdplayer- wow! I remember that well!

Miles Davis-Kind of Blue. I always liked jazz and did not know what to buy. I joined a jazz cd club and got this one. This is the album that made me a huge jazz fan. I play it for people that are not familiar with jazz and almost everyone ends up buying it for themselves

John Coltrane- A Love Supreme. The greatest jazz album ever. Beautiful!

White Stripes- White Blood Cells-one of the greatest albums I ever heard! This one did not leave my car cd player for pretty much two years. Awesome album!

My mom was a music fan who regularly listened to stuff like Chicago, Doobie Brothers, and god awful pop stuff like Bay City Rollers.  My step dad bought me "Back in Black" and "Alive II" when they came out and another rocker was born.  I was nine years old at the time and the album jacket was probably the coolest thing I'd ever seen.  Hooked forever.

My son's first concert was KISS - just a couple of years ago.  Some things are so good you have to share.

BTW, I still have "Pyromania", "High-n-Dry", and "Eliminator" on eight track - though I have no means to listen to them.

321281[/snapback]

:doh: Wifes/Moms are funny like that. While my wife can appreciate the music I listen to (mostly blues/rock), her first true music love is disco/pop. In a totally Saturday Night Fever, ABBA, Donna Summer kind of way. Makes for a pretty strange music collection at our house.

BTW, I looked on ebay - lots of 8-track players.

Yeah, that's me.  Obsessive compulsive with a side of low self esteem.  :doh:

Thanks for dumbing down the board with some more of YOUR life experience.  I hope I've alleviated your concerns on this subject.

321324[/snapback]

LOL I was just busting on ya. I'm pretty sure you don't have Gene, Paul, Ace, and Peter on your back. It was a cool tattoo though, just about the stupidest thing I've ever seen though at the same time.

KISS fans are nuts, I like the band, but when you dress your family up as the band and have your family photos taken as KISS and name your children after KISS songs (he named both his girls after KISS songs) that's going a little overboard.

I read an article about the guy afterwards, maybe I can find it, I guess he was kind of a famous KISS fan.

:doh: Wifes/Moms are funny like that. While my wife can appreciate the music I listen to (mostly blues/rock), her first true music love is disco/pop. In a totally Saturday Night Fever, ABBA, Donna Summer kind of way. Makes for a pretty strange music collection at our house.

BTW, I looked on ebay - lots of 8-track players.

321788[/snapback]

I had a huge 8 track collection until a few years ago. Those things take up so much room and its hard to find a player once yours breaks. Anyways I gave all my 8 tracks to goodwill except 1- I kept George Harrison All Things Must Pass on double 8track. Someday I will get an 8track player off ebay

Tough one... I'd say

Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand

With close seconds from....

Natalie Merchant - Tigerlilly

The Housemartins - London 0 Hull 4

The Jayhawks - Tomorrow the Green Grass

U2 - The Joshua Tree

The The - Dusk

The Smiths - The Queen is Dead

Uncle Tupelo - No Depression

Def Leppard - 'Hysteria'.

321817[/snapback]

That one killed them for me. THen again I was on a different path a quite a few years before that album. Still love On Through the Night, High N Dry, and Pyromania.

Tough one... I'd say

U2 - The Joshua Tree

The The - Dusk

321814[/snapback]

Another Tupelo fan... We've got quite a little community going here! :P

Down that route, if we were going to go with what we've been listening to lately, I would definitely choose Will Johnson and his bands Centro-matic and South San Gabriel. Great music in the "alt-country" vein. Nice pick on the Jayhawks too.

Ah! You stole some songs off my IPOD, eh? Love the housemartins, The Smiths, etc. However, I'm more of a Wilco fan than Uncle Tupelo, but I still like Tupelo.

Tough one... I'd say

U2 - The Joshua Tree

The The - Dusk

321814[/snapback]

LOL I was just busting on ya.  I'm pretty sure you don't have Gene, Paul, Ace, and Peter on your back.  It was a cool tattoo though, just about the stupidest thing I've ever seen though at the same time.

KISS fans are nuts, I like the band, but when you dress your family up as the band and have your family photos taken as KISS and name your children after KISS songs (he named both his girls after KISS songs) that's going a little overboard.

I read an article about the guy afterwards, maybe I can find it, I guess he was kind of a famous KISS fan.

321812[/snapback]

I think every major band has some nutso fans. KISS is a little different because of the makeup and amazing marketing led by Gene Simmons. It's part of the "experience."

I truly don't understand tattoos in the least but differences are what make the world an interesting place.

I wouldn't name my kid anything weird like that. Now a dog on the other hand... :P

321812[/snapback]

This reminds me of one time watching Eyewitness News in the 80's. Culture Club was coming to town for a concert, and one of the reporters (Don Polic?) was interviewing families who had their little boys dressed up like Boy George. I was appalled. :P:w00t:

I think every major band has some nutso fans.  KISS is a little different because of the makeup and amazing marketing led by Gene Simmons.  It's part of the "experience."

I truly don't understand tattoos in the least but differences are what make the world an interesting place. 

I wouldn't name my kid anything weird like that.  Now a dog on the other hand...  :P

322041[/snapback]

Well their names weren't "weird". One of them was Beth and the other one was named after another KISS song.

I wish I could remember the guys name, I talked to him for a while and I guess he is in the KISStory book. That night was his 399th show and he was hoping to attend number 400 in Louisville later that summer. It was kind of strange, I felt like I was in a time warp, he said his first KISS show was New Years Ever 1974 or something like that. 400 shows in 30 years. Amazing.

KISS just won a major lawsuit against a bootlegger who was selling shows. They won like 7 million MORE dollars.

If I'm on a desert island, my money's on Bob Marley's Legend.

Can't believe nobody picked this one yet.

321061[/snapback]

AFter a while on a desert island, No Woman No Cry can become depressing.

i'm breaking the rules, but i can't name just one, so i'll name my top 40 (i guess i could stick them all in an ipod). i love them all about equally, and each in its own way. i'm sure i'm leaving some equally worthy records off this list:

bob dylan - highway 61 revisited

the new york dolls

the anthology of american folk music

the best of george jones

stones - exile on main street

the clash

roxy music - country life

chuck berry - from st. louis to liverpool

Loretta Lynn boxed set (do these count?)

nirvana - nevermind

tom waits - raindogs

the mekons - rock 'n' roll

led zeppelin IV

nick lowe - pure pop for now people

richard and linda thompson - i want to see the bright lights tonight

jimmie rodgers - recordings, 1927-33

drive by truckers - decoration day

yeah yeah yeahs (ep)

stooges - funhouse

dylan/the band - the basement tapes

bo diddley box set

flying burrito brothers - the gilded palace of sin

television - marquee moon

fats domino - greatest hits

the band

beck - odelay

the heartbreakers - L.A.M.F.

velvet underground - white light/white heat

johnny thunders - So Alone

al green - call me

white stripes - white blood cells

lazy cowgirls - ragged soul

the vibrators - pure mania

the buddy holly collection

the who sell out (expanded version)

mott the hoople - mott

x - wild gift

ramones leave home

aretha franklin - aretha's gold

wide right - sleeping on the couch (my wife's new record -- gotta support the family)

If we're going by the way we felt the first time we heard it...I was in sixth grade.

This island has grass, right?

323140[/snapback]

"Just Like You Heard It The 1st Time"

I took the question to mean the first time you heard it- not a favorite album list