Ben Roethlisberger pre-snap tell run vs pass

16 hours ago, TroutDog said:

Didn’t P Manning say something similar about Josh prior to last year?

Omaha ;)

9 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Yeah. Thankfully, the hard count ended up working in the playoffs. I forget if it was the Colts or Ravens, but he got a DE to jump for a key 1st down. 

The Colts game...Kemoko Turay

• Haha (+1) 2

This was discussed yesterday on MTC with Jim and Pat.  Pat made the point all teams look for this stuff all the time and the likelihood it evaded all defensive coordinators and was some shocking revelation is somewhat unlikely.  What they indicated is maybe it’s found out, but the visibility of potentially leg lift, and in time to make a change is probably why they are not making changes.  They went 11-0 before the problems.

their running problems were more about a line that couldn’t open holes, and thus with a crappy line now is going to be a blood bath this year at least in the opener.  We are going to beat them commandingly.  Harris will have his first start with a bad o line.  It’s going to be ugly.

Anyone remember Trent Edwards pre-snap giveaway?

Any time he would audible in the squatting position and hands low...it was a run.  If he would audible standing up, it was a pass.

Couldn't find a photo of him squatting but this would have been a pass.

I'm guessing on the run plays, he stay lower so the offensive line could hear him better?

image.png.79f3935bd2370b88e3f4e0a6257b1bd3.png

21 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Anyone remember Trent Edwards pre-snap giveaway?

Any time he would audible in the squatting position and hands low...it was a run.  If he would audible standing up, it was a pass.

Couldn't find a photo of him squatting but this would have been a pass.

I'm guessing on the run plays, he stay lower so the offensive line could hear him better?

image.png.79f3935bd2370b88e3f4e0a6257b1bd3.png

What is a Trent Edwards? Sounds like some kind of repressed memory

• Haha (+1) 1

On 7/14/2021 at 10:08 AM, CorkScrewHill said:

I wonder if this was picked up by the Bills, it appears that it is incredibly accurate and has been going on for years.

"As pointed out by @theoashnfl on TikTok and explained by Joe Hoefling of Deadspin.com, Roethlisberger has a very basic yet very clear pre-snap tell, which gives away whether the next play will be a run or a pass."

https://sports.yahoo.com/ben-roethlisberger-pre-snap-run-125226645.html

You would think if it was well known they would have done poorly offensively (e.g., line knows to rush the passer / attack the RB, safeties and LBers can focus on coverage or run support).

If I was a GM I would crowd source film review .. get the fans involved to look for these things on my team as well as the opponents.

What I wonder is how easy it is to "tell" what Big Ben's heel is doing from the viewpoint of a defender during the game?

22 hours ago, TroutDog said:

Didn’t P Manning say something similar about Josh prior to last year?

I think Manning pointed out that Josh did something different with his hands during a hard count if it was going to be a play or were just trying to get the other team to jump.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What I wonder is how easy it is to "tell" what Big Ben's heel is doing from the viewpoint of a defender during the game?

I think Manning pointed out that Josh did something different with his hands during a hard count if it was going to be a play or were just trying to get the other team to jump.

Im not sure what Manning was referring to, but I noticed last year Josh did something with his body pre-snap that gave away whether it was going to be a run or a pass. I was easily able to determine if it was going to be a run from the tv angle. I assume the coaches will address this. I wont bother pointing it out on this forum.

I do not recall him doing this prior to last year however i havent gone back and watched film. It became one of those things that once i saw it i couldnt unsee it and it was a give-away. 

• Eyeroll 2

On 7/14/2021 at 1:49 PM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

If you look close enough at any QB, many of them do similar things pre-snap. There are some games where I can tell right away from the pre-snap body language or body position whether it is a handoff or not. 

Suuuuure you can.  Next thing you know, you'll be telling us you can catch a fly with chopsticks!

• Haha (+1) 2

12 hours ago, bobobonators said:

Im not sure what Manning was referring to, but I noticed last year Josh did something with his body pre-snap that gave away whether it was going to be a run or a pass. I was easily able to determine if it was going to be a run from the tv angle. I assume the coaches will address this. I wont bother pointing it out on this forum.

I do not recall him doing this prior to last year however i havent gone back and watched film. It became one of those things that once i saw it i couldnt unsee it and it was a give-away. 

This gets an exaggerated eye-roll (I know...devastating) unless you provide details. Why would you mention it and NOT be more specific? Your insight could (and I'm truly not being entirely facetious here) greatly help the team. 

• Haha (+1) 2

Noggin, you beat me to it.  Bobo, if you really noticed something, then state exactly what you saw.  Otherwise people will call this BS.  I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt so just elaborate.

Ive played and coached football for years and never noticed anything.  As I mentioned regarding Ben, I don’t know if any defemsive player on the field with bodies in front of them would ever be able to catch in time.