Honest discussion about racism (non political)

1 minute ago, Bidens_basement said:

You have to admit that you are a product of white privilege. You’ve had opportunities handed to you based solely on the color of your skin. 
You have benefited greatly from your racist upbringing, yet you refuse to admit it. Are you suffering from white guilt?

Are you admitting that black people face racism that has held them back? 

15 minutes ago, Bidens_basement said:

Are you admitting that you profited off your white privilege?

I profited from being in the USA, yes. You can’t admit racism held back black people? Seriously? 

If my dad had been black we would would not of had the same opportunities. How about you? 

6 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

I profited from being in the USA, yes. You can’t admit racism held back black people? Seriously? 

If my dad had been black we would would not of had the same opportunities. How about you? 

Are you suggesting that black people today are still enslaved?

How far back in time should we go? Are you responsible for your ancestors actions?

You’ve already admitted to profiting off your white privilege, what are you doing to repent from your racist sins besides posting on a message board?

57 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

You would? Why is that? Are you oppressed? 

Age ya dummy. And people my age are discriminated against all the time.  How many times have I heard that the world will be a better place when all the boomers die.  Am I oppressed?  Not sure. Define oppression. Personally I feel ***** great and am so happy I’m the age I am and that I’m about to retire early. 

Your life is what you make it even with outside influences.  If more people took this attitude there’s be a lot less whining from the likes of you. 

11 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

How about today. So those things still exist to the extent they did 50/100 plus years ago?  

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

You would? Why is that? Are you oppressed? 

You have to admit that slavery and Jim Crow were systems, right? And those systems relied or were supported by racism, right? 

You're making my point for me.  Those systems no longer exist.  In 2021 what is systemic?  This is about what is happening now.  That's all I'm asking.  For somebody to objectively define what hard numbers and objective information they're pointing to when they voice a systemic perspective about present day life and race relations in America 2021.  

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Age ya dummy. And people my age are discriminated against all the time.  How many times have I heard that the world will be a better place when all the boomers die.  Am I oppressed?  Not sure. Define oppression. Personally I feel ***** great and am so happy I’m the age I am and that I’m about to retire early. 

Your life is what you make it even with outside influences.  If more people took this attitude there’s be a lot less whining from the likes of you. 

How about today. So those things still exist to the extent they did 50/100 plus years ago?  

The government takes care of old people better than anyone. And no, things have gotten better. But historic racism has left its mark. Look at all the black people in poverty. That’s the legacy of slavery and Jim Crow. 

4 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

You're making my point for me.  Those systems no longer exist.  In 2021 what is systemic?  This is about what is happening now.  That's all I'm asking.  For somebody to objectively define what hard numbers and objective information they're pointing to when they voice a systemic perspective.  

But history matters. My dad had a good job, if he had been black he wouldn’t have had a good job in all probability. 

34 minutes ago, Bidens_basement said:

Are you suggesting that black people today are still enslaved?

How far back in time should we go? Are you responsible for your ancestors actions?

You’ve already admitted to profiting off your white privilege, what are you doing to repent from your racist sins besides posting on a message board?

No, but that people were oppressed in the past affects people today. 

On 6/26/2021 at 8:46 PM, Beach said:

are you saying there are current "establishment of laws and social structures implemented to benefit white people."?

Its not just laws we need to focus on but the differential treatment of people under the same laws.  Look at the disparity in sentencing by race and gender.  In the NFL, the rule book is the same for all teams. But if we had to play the Patriots 16 times a year with Walt Coleman calling the games, an impartial rule book doesn't mean the game is fair.

This is just one example.

https://www.ussc.gov/research/research-reports/demographic-differences-sentencing

17 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

The government takes care of old people better than anyone. And no, things have gotten better. But historic racism has left its mark. Look at all the black people in poverty. That’s the legacy of slavery and Jim Crow. 

But history matters. My dad had a good job, if he had been black he wouldn’t have had a good job in all probability. 

No, but that people were oppressed in the past affects people today. 

What have you done personally to give back to POC after living a privileged life?

3 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Its not just laws we need to focus on but the differential treatment of people under the same laws.  Look at the disparity in sentencing by race and gender.  In the NFL, the rule book is the same for all teams. But if we had to play the Patriots 16 times a year with Walt Coleman calling the games, an impartial rule book doesn't mean the game is fair.

https://www.ussc.gov/research/research-reports/demographic-differences-sentencing

I wonder if past record plays into longer sentences. 

3 minutes ago, Bidens_basement said:

I wonder if past record plays into longer sentences. 

They seem to avoid that analysis by being extra specific.  🤔 wonder why? 

Violence in an offender’s criminal history does not appear to account for any of the demographic differences in sentencing.Black male offenders received sentences on average 20.4 percent longer than similarly situated White male offenders, accounting for violence in an offender’s past in fiscal year 2016, the only year for which such data is available. This figure is almost the same as the 20.7 percent difference without accounting for past violence. Thus, violence in an offender’s criminal history does not appear to contribute to the sentence imposed to any extent beyond its contribution to the offender’s criminal history score determined under the sentencing guidelines.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Oh come on. Just last night you claimed blacks were ‘targeted’ during the mortgage crisis. You seem to be cherry picking now.

Predatory lenders targeted minority neighborhoods.  This is well documented.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-foreclosures-race/racial-predatory-loans-fueled-u-s-housing-crisis-study-idUSTRE6930K520101004

https://www.huduser.gov/publications/pdf/unequal_full.pdf

11 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

They seem to avoid that analysis by being extra specific.  🤔 wonder why? 

They specifically address violent backgrounds in the analysis.  

18 hours ago, Motorin' said:

Hate in the individual isn't required for the system work unfairly. 

Algorithms can execute discriminatory policies without the capacity to feel, let alone hate. 

I mean, you can tell yourself that. There's virtually no evidence to back that up. If there is I'd love to read it. 

You can start here.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/the-tax-code-helps-white-people-get-richer/ar-BB1fRrMx

23 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

since you bring up 1 referee, i would prefer to see 1 judge's record to see if he/she sentences equally or not.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Predatory lenders targeted minority neighborhoods.  This is well documented.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-foreclosures-race/racial-predatory-loans-fueled-u-s-housing-crisis-study-idUSTRE6930K520101004

https://www.huduser.gov/publications/pdf/unequal_full.pdf

They specifically address violent backgrounds in the analysis.  

Yes not ‘all priors’, just specifically prior violent crime.  I believe however all prior criminal history is considered in sentencing, Isn’t it? Maybe not, but I always thought so. 

They also omit from key findings summary  that in the full report they establish statistically women receive far less time then men, and under 25 yo far more time than over 25.

and no doubt predatory lenders are a real legitimate problem as you cite. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

Ok

if there is evidence of a judge giving harsher sentences to a certain group of people that have similar priors than a different group of people, then i would wonder why that judge still has a job.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Yes not ‘all priors’, just specifically prior violent crime.  I believe however all prior criminal history is considered in sentencing, Isn’t it? Maybe not, but I always thought so. 

They also omit from key findings summary  that in the full report they establish statistically women receive far less time then men, and under 25 yo far more time than over 25.

What are you talking about?  That finding is clearly stated in the summary.  Its #4.

Female offenders of all races received shorter sentences than White male offenders during the Post-Report period, as they had for the prior four periods. The differences in sentence length decreased slightly during the five-year period after the 2012 Booker Report for most offenders. The differences in sentence length fluctuated across all time periods studied for White females, Black females, Hispanic females, and Other Race female offenders.

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Beach said:

if there is evidence of a judge giving harsher sentences to a certain group of people that have similar priors than a different group of people, then i would wonder why that judge still has a job.  

This is a fantastic thought. Since I personally view prejudice as an problem among individuals not a pervasive systemic issue, no one should have a problem looking at it by individual judge. If there is true a systemic issue, every judge should fail this test, correct? 

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Missed it, 25 yo and citizen vs non was summarized as well? 

Maybe reading the text and thinking about the facts presented for more than a minute would be more fruitful than crying "political agenda!" after a cursory scan of new information.