The American Media Should Not Be Trusted

BARI WEISS: On Double Standards and Deafening Silence.

When I was at The New York Times, an op-ed by a Republican senator (Tom Cotton) led to a crisis at the paper, and the longest editor’s note that I could remember.

At least until the one that was published yesterday about the Gaza hospital bombing (more about that in a moment).

Let’s stick, for a minute, to the brouhaha of June 2020. Perhaps you’ll remember some of the details, like the fact that hundreds of colleagues signed on to a statement saying that Tom Cotton’s op-ed “put the lives of black NYT staffers in danger.” My boss—and the paper’s former Jerusalem bureau chief, James Bennet—was pushed out after being humiliated in front of the paper’s entire staff. His deputy, Jim Dao, was reassigned and ultimately left the paper. Adam Rubenstein, the talented young editor (and loyal friend of The Free Press) who had a hand in working on the offending piece, was scapegoated and resigned. And you know what happened to me.

I mention all of this because on October 17, The New York Times sent a false report to all of its readers that presented, as fact, Hamas talking points. It claimed that Israel had bombed a hospital, killing 500 people: “Israeli Strike Kills Hundreds in Hospital, Palestinians Say.”

The headline was untrue on every level. The bomb was not Israeli, but a Palestinian Islamic Jihad rocket aimed at Israel that misfired. The bomb didn’t hit the hospital, but the hospital parking lot. Hamas claimed that 500 people were killed, but a senior European intelligence source told AFP he thought the death toll was under 50; U.S. intelligence estimates that the number stands between 100 and 300. And it wasn’t Palestinians that said as much to the Times, but the Gaza Health Ministry—which is run by Hamas. 

There was no uproar at the Times in response to this journalistic malpractice—at least not in public. Perhaps some expressed their concerns privately, for fear of reprisal.

In the meantime, riots broke out across the world accusing Israel of genocide. Members of Congress, including Rashida Tlaib, broadcast this misinformation. 

On Monday, six days after the fact, the Times finally published an editor’s note, saying “Times editors should have taken more care with the initial presentation, and been more explicit about what information could be verified.” I doubt that message reached the rioters in Tunisia who burned the Al Hammah synagogue to the ground.

Go back to Cotton. In the case of Cotton, there was not a single correctable error in the piece. Yet in the course of 48 hours, jobs were lost, and people were smeared and demoted simply for doing their jobs. (In fact, the piece, which argued for the legality of the deployment of national guardsmen to restore order in American cities, held up better than I would have thought—especially in light of the use of national guardsmen to quell the violent rioting in the U.S. Capitol on January 6, 2021.) In this case—publishing Hamas PR—has led the paper to issue a soft non-apology, lamenting that the story should have been presented more carefully. 

How about maybe not at all until the facts are clear? How about not relying on Hamas propaganda? We think this story is so important because it’s become so familiar. The real question, as the war continues, is if news organizations like the Times will continue to take the word of Hamas uncritically.

https://www.thefp.com/p/on-double-standards-and-deafening-new-york-times

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, B-Man said:

This is CNN.

Stupid, out of context tweet. I watched it - did Erin Burnett really suggest it was like a hotel? No. She said this to show that Hamas had prepared everything for the taking of hostages, including hoarding supplies in underground tunnels. Oh, and maybe to make those relatives of unreleased hostages feel a little better about the conditions their loved ones are being held in.

But there's a cheap political point to be made, so what the hell, let's make it.

5 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Stupid, out of context tweet. I watched it - did Erin Burnett really suggest it was like a hotel? No. She said this to show that Hamas had prepared everything for the taking of hostages, including hoarding supplies in underground tunnels. Oh, and maybe to make those relatives of unreleased hostages feel a little better about the conditions their loved ones are being held in.

But there's a cheap political point to be made, so what the hell, let's make it.

Kind of like the brouhaha over the black history curriculum in Florida, eh?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Kind of like the brouhaha over the black history curriculum in Florida, eh?

Don't you bore yourself doing this all the time?

Me: right wing social media has mischaracterized a CNN report.

Possible responses:

1. You're right, they kind of did. (Good response)

2. No, they still kind of underplayed the horror of being held captive. (Acceptable, arguable response)

3. Hey, left wing media did the same thing last summer! (Pointless, boring, predictable response)

Democrats never need to acknowledge or respond to inconsistency in history.

Reality for them is as flexible as the next news story.

It does not matter that today they claim the sky is green and tomorrow they will claim the sky is purple, what reality happens to be does not matter.

The TV will tell them whatever the current truth is

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Possible responses:

2. No, they still kind of underplayed the horror of being held captive. (Acceptable, arguable response)

3. Hey, left wing media did the same thing last summer! (Pointless, boring, predictable response)

I have watched the segment, CNN neglected the horror that these people have been through.  Many witnessed the killing of friends/neighbors/family members.  They more than anyone have firsthand experience with the brutally of Hamas.  As such, they are in constant fear for their lives as well as the possibility of rape/torture.  I suspect many of the hostages will never emotionally recover from what they've been through.  A psychologist discussing the mental state of the hostages would have been more appropriate than "there's shampoo below ground but none above ground".    

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Precision said:

I have watched the segment, CNN neglected the horror that these people have been through.  Many witnessed the killing of friends/neighbors/family members.  They more than anyone have firsthand experience with the brutally of Hamas.  As such, they are in constant fear for their lives as well as the possibility of rape/torture.  I suspect many of the hostages will never emotionally recover from what they've been through.  A psychologist discussing the mental state of the hostages would have been more appropriate than "there's shampoo below ground but none above ground".    

And yes, that's a perfectly acceptable response.

These talking heads are expected to talk, talk, talk to fill the dead air while images of death and destruction play behind them. They don't always hit the perfect tone, and neither would I. 

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

And yes, that's a perfectly acceptable response.

These talking heads are expected to talk, talk, talk to fill the dead air while images of death and destruction play behind them. They don't always hit the perfect tone, and neither would I. 

It was almost funny how incredulous they were that Hamas had feminine products for the hostages.  I guess it didn't dawn on the ladies at CNN that Hamas planned on killing the men and keeping the women because they didn't see them as a threat.

4 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Possible responses:

Pointing out hypocrisy never bores me.  And actually keeps me pretty busy these days...

47 minutes ago, Precision said:

It was almost funny how incredulous they were that Hamas had feminine products for the hostages.  I guess it didn't dawn on the ladies at CNN that Hamas planned on killing the men and keeping the women because they didn't see them as a threat.

That was some good planning too!  How many tampons do you think those tunnels held before they planned this barbarism?

• Thank you (+1) 3

Truth

BY PAULA BOLYARD

The Left will tell you that everyone has his/her/zher own truth. Thanks to postmodernism, we’re supposed to believe that objective truth is a myth — a relic of a bygone era.

Of course, if you dig a little deeper and question them, most will reluctantly admit to some level of objective truth (try telling one that you believe he’s an ultra-MAGA fanboy and homophobe, and see how fast he objects to “your” truth).

Unfortunately, it is getting harder and harder to get to the truth when it comes to the news. 

{snip}

“A lie travels halfway around the world before the truth puts on its pants,” as the saying goes, and with this story, the consequences of the left’s malfeasance in reporting this story have been devastating. Hamas declared a Day of Jihad, knowing it had left-wing media in its pocket. There have been attacks and threats against Jews worldwide and protests, some of them violent, in defense of poor, defenseless Hamas. Just last night, Jewish students were trapped in a library while a pro-Hamas mob tried to break down the doors. This is incredibly dangerous. It’s a scary time to be a Jew in America. In America!

The bottom line is that there is no such thing as “your truth” and “my truth.” There is one truth in any given news event, and our job at PJ Media is to do our very best to bring you that truth. If we do get a story wrong, we are quick to own up to it. We owe that to you, our readers.

https://pjmedia.com/columns/paula-bolyard/2023/10/26/truth-n1737654

• Like (+1) 1