Random Political Thoughts Inc.

T&C

8 hours ago, redtail hawk said:

2021?  Tincture of time is an awesome remedy.  At least in a political sense, we hope so. btw, over 12000 kids died from covid per UNICEF.  How many died from the vax?

As I stated if you still believe that these shots are a good idea for healthy kids I can't help you. As I stated since 2021 the evidence has all pointed to the fact that without other issues COVID is like a cold or flu for 99.99999% of kids. As for who has died from Vax, how could I prove it? There has certainly been an increase in heart related illnesses for young people but that could be from a lot of factors, especially coming out of lockdowns. 

9 hours ago, redtail hawk said:

I complied, trusted the recommendations generally, but there were obvious challenges as time went on.  We received information on how to act/behave/conduct ourselves to protect the greater good, then found out those truly in the know often completely disregarded the directives for the rest of us.  

What was the most troubling in my opinion was the approach to managing protests and mass gatherings.  That is to say, the lack of any sensible, consistent advice or guidance from scientists or the political leaders that they counseled with. 

So,  58 year old healthy male and his 56 year old healthy wife, looking to get together with their mid-twenties children from different households, and some additional family members was cause for grave concern of death, disease, and spread...but 20,000 people gathering together in cities and towns across the country week after week barely raised an eyebrow. 

I guess my question is always “Where the 🤬were the leading scientists and Faucci-types screaming from the rooftops that that sort of behavior was certainly leading to mass spread, illness and death”?  

You’re the science guy, and I understand you taking up the cause for your colleagues, but there was a major disconnect between what the public was told, the actions of key players, and the reality that we lived through.  

The medical community deserves a share of the blame for the distrust that surely follows.  When you consider the ties between Wuhan, Faucci and his crew at NIAID, and the US government, naturally people are cynical. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Orlando Tim said:

As I stated if you still believe that these shots are a good idea for healthy kids I can't help you. As I stated since 2021 the evidence has all pointed to the fact that without other issues COVID is like a cold or flu for 99.99999% of kids. As for who has died from Vax, how could I prove it? There has certainly been an increase in heart related illnesses for young people but that could be from a lot of factors, especially coming out of lockdowns. 

news flash:  I neither need nor want your help.  And if your mindset was prevalent in schools around me, I'd definitely go private.  12000 kids is no big deal tho...

Edited by redtail hawk

3 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I complied, trusted the recommendations generally, but there were obvious challenges as time went on.  We received information on how to act/behave/conduct ourselves to protect the greater good, then found out those truly in the know often completely disregarded the directives for the rest of us.  

What was the most troubling in my opinion was the approach to managing protests and mass gatherings.  That is to say, the lack of any sensible, consistent advice or guidance from scientists or the political leaders that they counseled with. 

So,  58 year old healthy male and his 56 year old healthy wife, looking to get together with their mid-twenties children from different households, and some additional family members was cause for grave concern of death, disease, and spread...but 20,000 people gathering together in cities and towns across the country week after week barely raised an eyebrow. 

I guess my question is always “Where the 🤬were the leading scientists and Faucci-types screaming from the rooftops that that sort of behavior was certainly leading to mass spread, illness and death”?  

You’re the science guy, and I understand you taking up the cause for your colleagues, but there was a major disconnect between what the public was told, the actions of key players, and the reality that we lived through.  

The medical community deserves a share of the blame for the distrust that surely follows.  When you consider the ties between Wuhan, Faucci and his crew at NIAID, and the US government, naturally people are cynical. 

Let me give it a try.  its the same reason journalists do not report the truth.  Because ethics and science go out the window when everybody is getting paid big bucks to go along with the system and speaking out of turn will get you censured, de-credentialed, or result in a ruined reputation and a loss of income as a "science denier" when the truth is the only science to deny is political science.  You also have lots of researchers and scientists dependent on the very government agencies that are generating and sponsoring these polices and narratives.  You speak out against it and suddenly your research project is de-funded by the NIH.  Everybody's a prostitute to the almighty dollar and the pure principled person is few and far between.

Here's a link to a rather lengthy and interesting piece on why journalists toe the line.

https://caityjohnstone.medium.com/15-reasons-why-mass-media-employees-act-like-propagandists-553a08074347

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I'm not taking up for my colleagues.  I'm taking up for science and rational thought.    I'm fighting against ignorance and stupidity.  People like Fauci are the backbone of Medicine.  Unafraid of repercussions they put themselves at risk on a daily basis.  And their knowledge base is quantum leaps above the general publics.  The guy is in his 80's and is financially secure..  Why put himself through this?  Cuz he took an oath and lives by it and there are very few people walking the earth that know more about infectious disease.

• Haha (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Let me give it a try.  its the same reason journalists do not report the truth.  Because ethics and science go out the window when everybody is getting paid big bucks to go along with the system and speaking out of turn will get you censured, de-credentialed, or result in a ruined reputation and a loss of income as a "science denier" when the truth is the only science to deny is political science.  You also have lots of researchers and scientists dependent on the very government agencies that are generating and sponsoring these polices and narratives.  You speak out against it and suddenly your research project is de-funded by the NIH.  Everybody's a prostitute to the almighty dollar and the pure principled person is few and far between.

Here's a link to a rather lengthy and interesting piece on why journalists toe the line.

https://caityjohnstone.medium.com/15-reasons-why-mass-media-employees-act-like-propagandists-553a08074347

It's always about the money.  "Do no harm" has turned into "there is no such thing as a bad pill or shot".

How often are you harassed at doctor's appointments for blood work, multivitamins, fish oil, HPV, flu, shingles and covid booster shots?  They sit there and condescendingly tell you how important these treatments are when the PA speaking to you is obese.  

How much time is spent in an appointment discussing the most important subject, lifestyle?  Almost none.  Weight, exercise, diet, sleep, drinking, smoking, drugs use, sexual activity, chronic pain are all glossed over at best even though they have the largest impact on a patient's health.  

There's no money in lifestyle, lots of cash in pills and shots.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

15 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

you do realize that the big money in science is in administration, right.  The bench chemist designing new groundbreaking drugs makes a fraction of the folks in the C suite at pharma companies.  Analogous situation in health care systems which were once known as hospitals and run by doctors.d it's not that the scientists couldn't do those jobs.  Many do and go on for MBA's and JD's after becoming scientists.  But feel free to carry on with your persecution syndrome and your lack of recognition that some people value knowledge and making a real difference over getting rich.

15 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

you do realize that the big money in science is in administration, right.  The bench chemist designing new groundbreaking drugs makes a fraction of the folks in the C suite at pharma companies.  Analogous situation in health care systems which were once known as hospitals and run by doctors.d it's not that the scientists couldn't do those jobs.  Many do and go on for MBA's and JD's after becoming scientists.  But feel free to carry on with your persecution syndrome and your lack of recognition that some people value knowledge and making a real difference over getting rich.

You can rationalize it any way you want.  And "speak" in a condescending tone suggesting you know so much more than I do.  Perhaps that's true but what I do know is money talks and BS walks.  As my organization does lots of work with most of the top 30 pharma companies related to medication usage and analysis I know a bit about the motivations of the drug industry  And in this position I share a portion of the guilty of my own conclusion.  As for the US health care system itself I conclude its a cost maximizing hustle at every point in the health care delivery system.  A ten day hospital stay will likely generate a bill of around $250K.   

As for big money, there's a reason doctor's are sending their kids to country club summer camp for golf lessons and other perks that most of their patients and certainly not the nursing staff cannot afford. 

33 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

I'm not taking up for my colleagues.  I'm taking up for science and rational thought.    I'm fighting against ignorance and stupidity.  People like Fauci are the backbone of Medicine.  Unafraid of repercussions they put themselves at risk on a daily basis.  And their knowledge base is quantum leaps above the general publics.  The guy is in his 80's and is financially secure..  Why put himself through this?  Cuz he took an oath and lives by it and there are very few people walking the earth that know more about infectious disease.

Sure you are, you’ve done it a couple times lately.  Doctors are too busy to help out on the community…they’re overworked and exhausted….blah blah blah.  A gifted doctor—and you, your colleagues and our boy @Doc may well fall into that category.   I understand that, you’re like most folks who claim that others don’t know how tough things are for you.  It’s natural. 

Still, many are average, having average conversations, providing average service and ***** average work. That’s not even a reflection on the medial profession, it’s just the way life works.  I like my doctor, and have been generally very healthy over my life time, but it wouldn’t take much of a nudge to get me to a new provider.  My guy seems hard to reach, hard to see, and rescheduled me a few times to the point it got frustrating.  

Now, you’re in the Faucci camp, that’s fine.  Lots of people are.  I can only tell you from my perspective that the cynicism that followed his handling of the pandemic is warranted if you don’t call in the “doctors used to be revered” category.  

I’ll ask you this—-why would I trust him without verifying when he was completely impotent and tepid on mass gatherings and the spread of the virus?  

As for Faucci and his brilliance, no argument from me at all.  He’s obviously an accomplished human being, and with that likely comes a healthy degree of narcissism.    You want to put him on a pedestal above reproach, go ahead and kneel.   All I can tell you is that a man universally revered for his brilliance in his field should have been using his platform to say:

”I understand why you’re gathering and protesting, but for the love of humanity, each gathering comes at tremendous cost to your friends, neighbors and family members.  You are literally killing people—-children, parents, grandparents and so many more.  Let’s come together by staying apart.”.

He didn’t, leaders in the political realm didn’t, and people can smell even distinguished old scientist bs a mile away. 

As for his knowledge on infectious disease, you’re probably right, but there are serious concerns for all his knowledge that he and his &$@7ed up basic

protocol.  Maybe job one should be to ensure that said infectious diseases stay contained?  I learned that watching World War Z. 

3 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

You can rationalize it any way you want.  And "speak" in a condescending tone suggesting you know so much more than I do.  Perhaps that's true but what I do know is money talks and BS walks.  As my organization does lots of work with most of the top 30 pharma companies related to medication usage and analysis I know a bit about the motivations of the drug industry  And in this position I share a portion of the guilty of my own conclusion.  As for the US health care system itself I conclude its a cost maximizing hustle at every point in the health care delivery system.  A ten day hospital stay will likely generate a bill of around $250K.   

As for big money, there's a reason doctor's are sending their kids to country club summer camp for golf lessons and other perks that most of their patients and certainly not the nursing staff cannot afford. 

When i interviewed for a place in med schools, I was asked my motivation for becoming a doc at every one.  "Money" is an answer that will get you blackballed faster than anything else.  More than 1 admissions officer told me (unsolicited) that if money was the objective, business was the answer, not Medicine.  He was right.  That said, few go into it just for altruism.   They expect an above average lifestyle for their efforts.  It's a rare profession that melds science, art, compassion and a relatively high income.  But it comes with sacrifices and health risks not demanded of the biz folks.

16 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Sure you are, you’ve done it a couple times lately.  Doctors are too busy to help out on the community…they’re overworked and exhausted….blah blah blah.  A gifted doctor—and you, your colleagues and our boy @Doc may well fall into that category.   I understand that, you’re like most folks who claim that others don’t know how tough things are for you.  It’s natural. 

Still, many are average, having average conversations, providing average service and ***** average work. That’s not even a reflection on the medial profession, it’s just the way life works.  I like my doctor, and have been generally very healthy over my life time, but it wouldn’t take much of a nudge to get me to a new provider.  My guy seems hard to reach, hard to see, and rescheduled me a few times to the point it got frustrating.  

Now, you’re in the Faucci camp, that’s fine.  Lots of people are.  I can only tell you from my perspective that the cynicism that followed his handling of the pandemic is warranted if you don’t call in the “doctors used to be revered” category.  

I’ll ask you this—-why would I trust him without verifying when he was completely impotent and tepid on mass gatherings and the spread of the virus?  

As for Faucci and his brilliance, no argument from me at all.  He’s obviously an accomplished human being, and with that likely comes a healthy degree of narcissism.    You want to put him on a pedestal above reproach, go ahead and kneel.   All I can tell you is that a man universally revered for his brilliance in his field should have been using his platform to say:

”I understand why you’re gathering and protesting, but for the love of humanity, each gathering comes at tremendous cost to your friends, neighbors and family members.  You are literally killing people—-children, parents, grandparents and so many more.  Let’s come together by staying apart.”.

He didn’t, leaders in the political realm didn’t, and people can smell even distinguished old scientist bs a mile away. 

As for his knowledge on infectious disease, you’re probably right, but there are serious concerns for all his knowledge that he and his &$@7ed up basic

protocol.  Maybe job one should be to ensure that said infectious diseases stay contained?  I learned that watching World War Z. 

https://www.inverse.com/mind-body/fauci-dispatch-thanksgiving-advice

Fauci on lockdowns – Fauci also said his goal is not to impose shutdowns unless deaths and hospitalizations became “really really bad," when speaking with 60 Minutes.

“Put 'shut down' away and say, 'We're going to use public health measures to help us safely get to where we wanna go,'" he said.

He's neither an orator or a politician (He's a doctor, Jim!) and he didn't have the megaphone.  trump did.

Edited by redtail hawk

39 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

https://www.inverse.com/mind-body/fauci-dispatch-thanksgiving-advice

Fauci on lockdowns – Fauci also said his goal is not to impose shutdowns unless deaths and hospitalizations became “really really bad," when speaking with 60 Minutes.

“Put 'shut down' away and say, 'We're going to use public health measures to help us safely get to where we wanna go,'" he said.

He's neither an orator or a politician (He's a doctor, Jim!) and he didn't have the megaphone.  trump did.

Sure, a virus is burning through the planet, Trump has been accused of being an agent of Russia, his opponents routinely dismiss his commentary, his opponents $hittalk the vax developed on his watch, and the man you describe as the foremost expert on infectious disease—including one he should have had intimate familiarity with due to his association with the lab—uses his thin-white-coat-line pass to avoid responsibility. 

Docs close ranks for other docs, but this is silly. 

He was a huge part of the COVID problem, and the reason people are cynical of the entire thing to this day.  That goes for Dems, Rs, and independents. 

12 hours ago, Orlando Tim said:

Honestly if you want to find it we had a long thread about it in 2021 here where I had a long merry go round with a couple of guys, but if at this point you still believe that healthy people under 30 were helped by the vaccine I can't help you. Find any study that makes a prediction on lives saved under 30.

From what I've seen:

- from the individual perspective, you are probably correct that for people under 30 with no complicating health issues (asthma, obesity, etc.), getting vaccinated did not render any health benefits at a statistically significant level

- the question, however, does not end at the individual level. As with all vaccines, we are also concerned with public health impacts: did mass vaccination allow us to bend the curve and help to arrest the spread of the virus (and its many mutations) to the population at large? That is difficult to unpack given the many, many confounding variables, but from what we know it is reasonable to assign a significant benefit to the vaccines

This reveals one of the problems with political discourse in America. One side focuses solely on their own personal situation and individual liberty while the other worries about population effects. In the end both matter. They must be balanced.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Sure, a virus is burning through the planet, Trump has been accused of being an agent of Russia, his opponents routinely dismiss his commentary, his opponents $hittalk the vax developed on his watch, and the man you describe as the foremost expert on infectious disease—including one he should have had intimate familiarity with due to his association with the lab—uses his thin-white-coat-line pass to avoid responsibility. 

Docs close ranks for other docs, but this is silly. 

He was a huge part of the COVID problem, and the reason people are cynical of the entire thing to this day.  That goes for Dems, Rs, and independents. 

Let me give you a personal example of how this worked.  When the vax first came out, I emailed the CEO of the health system to propose a TV commercial with prominent Docs getting their shots.  He wrote back that it was an excellent idea but that he thought it would be more effective if he was filmed getting the shot (He's not well liked here and has no formal medical training).  Either way, the commercial was never made.

Edited by redtail hawk
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

Let me give you a personal example of how this worked.  When the vax first came out, I emailed the CEO of the health system to propose a TV commercial with prominent Docs getting their shots.  He wrote back that it was an excellent idea but that he thought it would be more effective if he was filmed getting the shot (He's not well liked here and has no formal medical training).  Either way, the commercial was never made.

What exactly is this an example of—apathy? 

I’ll give you a better example by changing the facts slightly. 

You call the the CEO, you tell him that the certain actions of the public pose a massive threat to the citizens of the county.   You believe that because the science tells you so, and you preach a lockdown mentality to every patient you encounter.  You suggest in the same video docs getting shots and speaking poignantly about how the virus spreads, that mass gatherings are guaranteed to cause spread, suffering and death on a global scale. 

The CEO says, “I don’t know, it seems like a lot of work. I don’t think it’s the role of the medical profession to spread the word about virus, transmission and death.”

You say “Yeah, it’s the politicians job anyway.” 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

From what I've seen:

- from the individual perspective, you are probably correct that for people under 30 with no complicating health issues (asthma, obesity, etc.), getting vaccinated did not render any health benefits at a statistically significant level

- the question, however, does not end at the individual level. As with all vaccines, we are also concerned with public health impacts: did mass vaccination allow us to bend the curve and help to arrest the spread of the virus (and its many mutations) to the population at large? That is difficult to unpack given the many, many confounding variables, but from what we know it is reasonable to assign a significant benefit to the vaccines

This reveals one of the problems with political discourse in America. One side focuses solely on their own personal situation and individual liberty while the other worries about population effects. In the end both matter. They must be balanced.

Again, I’ll repeat myself.   When people are told to hunker down, stay home and shelter in place, under threat of arrest or detainment if they choose to go to church, it is completely reasonable and understandable when they see people completely and repeatedly violate said protocol that they get suspicious.  

In fact, it’s the people that don’t go “Huh, that’s odd!” that reveal on some level how authoritarian regimes take hold. 

The virus oddly seemed to hover a lot over the right types of gatherings.  The Biden inauguration is a fine example of that, and there were many more. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Again, I’ll repeat myself.   When people are told to hunker down, stay home and shelter in place, under threat of arrest or detainment if they choose to go to church, it is completely reasonable and understandable when they see people completely and repeatedly violate said protocol that they get suspicious.  

In fact, it’s the people that don’t go “Huh, that’s odd!” that reveal on some level how authoritarian regimes take hold. 

The virus oddly seemed to hover a lot over the right types of gatherings.  The Biden inauguration is a fine example of that, and there were many more. 

I will admit it: I'm a glass half full guy. Maybe it's just my disposition, maybe it's because I have faith in humanity, I don't know.

Three and a half years after the virus was first detected, I have to say that we made a lot of mistakes in responding to the virus, but the virus did not end civilization, the economy did not collapse, we lost a lot of family members and other loved ones to it, but we muddled through with a generally effective (at times, heavy-handed, but effective) collective response, including a remarkably fast and (yes) effective development new category of vaccines that put us in a better place for dealing with this situation in the future.

At this point, I am just getting tired of the negativity. We did well as a country (and a world, perhaps minus China) when faced with the real possibility of the kind of devastation not seen since the Black Death. Sometimes you declare victory and also try to learn from your mistakes. 

• Like (+1) 3