Prospect Watch: Amari Rodgers, WR, Clemson

Estro

With the loss of John Brown, I think/hope the Bills should have interest in a WR in the draft.  Rodgers is a guy that has a skillset that I think the Bills would covet.

He's built almost like a RB, super thick, strong WR that possesses both short area quickness and long speed.  He also has really good contact balance and quick acceleration.  I just think this guy could be a high end John Brown (deep routes) & even Isaiah McKenzie (gadgets, end arounds) replacement & also has the ability to be a dynamite slot WR when Cole Beasley eventually can't do it anymore (which might be as soon as 2022).

I've seen guys like Rondale Moore get some late 1st, early 2nd round hype and I like this guy a lot more.  I'm not a big fan of Rondale Moore's, admittedly, as I just don't trust taking players that small early in the draft (think Tavon Austin/Roscoe Parrish.)

Rodgers ran a 4.5 40 yard dash at his pro day today, which for me is plenty fast for a guy as tough and quick as he is.  I've seen Randall Cobb comps by Daniel Jeremiah, but I see a lot of Deebo Samuel in his game, who I really like.  If memory serves me correctly the Bills liked Deebo quite a bit too.  Another added bonus is he has special teams value as a returner, which we know the Bills covet & with McKenzie & Roberts currently UFA's there's a clear need for that.  I just love the idea of getting 1 player that has the skillset to replace 2 or 3 players on our roster last year (McKenzie, Robert's, Brown) and even a slot guy like Beasley in '22.

I dont think Rodgers is a 1st round prospect, but I think hes a lot closer to a mid 2nd round pick than he is a late 3rd or early 4th rounder, which I've seen some project him as.  Listening to the Ross Tucker podcast today Greg Cosell kind of raved about how much he liked Rodgers as a prospect, which kind of reinforced my thoughts on him.

Last week I thought he'd be a hell of a 3rd round pick, but I'm not sure he makes it to our 2nd round pick let alone 3rd.  Either way, Rodgers is a guy I'd be stoked to see in a Bills uni come next September.

What do you guys think?

Edited by Estro

4 minutes ago, Estro said:

With the loss of John Brown, I think/hope the Bills should have interest in a WR in the draft.  Rodgers is a guy that has a skillset that I think the Bills would covet.

He's built almost like a RB, super thick, strong WR that possesses both short area quickness and long speed.  He also has really good contact balance and quick acceleration.  I just think this guy could be a high end John Brown (deep routes) & even Isaiah McKenzie (gadgets, end arounds) replacement & also has the ability to be a dynamite slot WR when Cole Beasley eventually can't do it anymore (which might be as soon as 2022).

I've seen guys like Rondale Moore get some late 1st, early 2nd round hype and I like this guy a lot more.  I'm not a big fan of Rondale Moore's, admittedly, as I just don't trust taking players that small early in the draft (think Tavon Austin/Roscoe Parrish.)

Rodgers ran a 4.5 40 yard dash at his pro day today, which for me is plenty fast for a guy as tough and quick as he is.  I've seen Randall Cobb comps by Daniel Jeremiah, but I see a lot of Deebo Samuel in his game, who I really like.  If memory serves me correctly the Bills liked Deebo quite a bit too.

I dont think Rodgers is a 1st round prospect, but I think hes a lot closer to a mid 2nd round pick than he is a late 3rd or early 4th rounder, which I've seen some project him as.  Listening to the Ross Tucker podcast today Greg Cosell kind of raved about how much he liked Rodgers as a prospect, which kind of reinforced my thoughts on him.

Last week I thought he'd be a hell of a 3rd round pick, but I'm not sure he'd make it to our 2nd round pick let alone 3rd.  Either way,, Rodgers is a guy I'd be stoked to see in a Bills uni come next September.

What do you guys think?

Solid comp.  Rodgers compared himself to Jarvis Landry.  I think that’s a fair comp.  great value in rd 3, but we’d probably have to take him in rd 2.  He’s a slot guy in the nfl imo.  Great long term replacement for Beasley.  I’d rather have Dyami Brown or Tylan Wallace as I feel they have more value on the outside

13 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Solid comp.  Rodgers compared himself to Jarvis Landry.  I think that’s a fair comp.  great value in rd 3, but we’d probably have to take him in rd 2.  He’s a slot guy in the nfl imo.  Great long term replacement for Beasley.  I’d rather have Dyami Brown or Tylan Wallace as I feel they have more value on the outside

Dyami Brown is a good name to bring up, too, because Ive asked myself who I thought would be drafted first Brown or Rodgers.  I like Rodgers more. Dyami might have more straight line speed, but Rodgers acceleration, short area quickness and contact balance are all superior.

Edited by Estro

29 minutes ago, Estro said:

I dont think Rodgers is a 1st round prospect, but I think hes a lot closer to a mid 2nd round pick than he is a late 3rd or early 4th rounder, which I've seen some project him as. 

His projected NFL role as slot/gadget/punt returner role will drop him down as not able to play outside.  Lots of WRs in draft so do see him sliding to back of 4th top of 5th rounds given so-so speed and limited catch radius.  

He reminds me of James Washington, with much less college production. 

I like Amari Rodgers, but can't see spending one of our top 3 picks on him if we need to find a starting RT and OLB, unless we trade down and acquire a few extra picks. 

EDIT: I could see the Bill pulling the trigger at 61 for a dynamic WR. 

Edited by Motorin'

1 hour ago, Just Joshin' said:

So is WR a higher need than OL, DL, OLB, CB or TE?  He may be a very good player but what position makes the team better?  

I'd prioritize OL, DE & CB over WR, but I do think we need WR help.  Brown is gone, Beasley is older, Diggs is paid well and probably going to be paid even more here soon.  I'd like to see another young draft pick added to Gabe Davis and the others.

My preference would be for the Bills to trade back from pick #30 and pick up an additional mid 3rd round pick. So we have 4 biyes at the apple in the top 90 picks.