Bucs Re-sign Levonte David.

No way in Hades Milano gets as much or more than David. He's not even close to that level of LB imo. I think his ceiling will be $10M on the open market unless someone is flat out stupid and desperate. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, H2o said:

No way in Hades Milano gets as much or more than David. He's not even close to that level of LB imo. I think his ceiling will be $10M on the open market unless someone is flat out stupid and desperate. 

Nope. He’ll flirt with the 12-13 million. I don’t think he’s as good as David, but he’s younger and his price tag will be up there.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, H2o said:

I thought the same thing too, but David is 31 whereas Milano is 26. That might impact how much he gets 🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Nope. He’ll flirt with the 12-13 million. I don’t think he’s as good as David, but he’s younger and his price tag will be up there.

We'll see. I don't believe he'll get an offer anywhere near $12.5M a year. I think he'll likely just chase the guaranteed $$$ even though I fully expect his annual average will be significantly lower than David's contract. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, H2o said:

Cleveland. They mentioned Milano if they missed on David.

5 minutes ago, junior12thman92 said:

Who is TBD's resident cap expert who can explain what this means? 

It means he's signed for two years but for cap purposes, he'll be on the books for 5. Basically agreeing to put dead cap in future years now so that they can sign David, Godwin, Shaq, and other players as well.

7 minutes ago, junior12thman92 said:

Pretty much just means a ton of dead cap after these two years.  Something I think the Bills should do.  This cap is going up, get some immediate gains, for future strain. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Cleveland. They mentioned Milano if they missed on David.

I don't know why, but it seems like Cleveland always has money to spend. 

Just now, Back2Buff said:

Pretty much just means a ton of dead cap after these two years.  Something I think the Bills should do.  This cap is going up, get some immediate gains, for future strain. 

2 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

It means he's signed for two years but for cap purposes, he'll be on the books for 5. Basically agreeing to put dead cap in future years now so that they can sign David, Godwin, Shaq, and other players as well.

Thank you both. With a new TV deal and it being a near certainty that the cap will be significantly higher in 2 years, this type of structure makes complete sense. Savings of $X amount this year is much more impactful than $X amount of dead cap in 2023. Maybe we'll see Beane do the same type of thing.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, junior12thman92 said:

Thank you both. With a new TV deal and it being a near certainty that the cap will be significantly higher in 2 years, this type of structure makes complete sense. Savings of $X amount this year is much more impactful than $X amount of dead cap in 2023. Maybe we'll see Beane do the same type of thing.

Also, nobody in the NFL has more cap room right now in those 3 voided years than the Bucs, so it makes a ton of sense for them to use that to their advantage now. They can keep all the guys they want and still be fine long-term.

3 minutes ago, junior12thman92 said:

Doubt it.  Beane hates dead money.  He also isn't very creative with the cap because of how much he is scared of dead money.  Just look at Morse.  Bills could have saved almost double if they converted Morse's salary into bonus, versus the paycut.  Would have resulted in more future dead cap if cut.  Same with Hyde, didn't change this years cap so they don't have future dead cap if they cut him.

Just now, Back2Buff said:

Doubt it.  Beane hates dead money.  He also isn't very creative with the cap because of how much he is scared of dead money.  Just look at Morse.  Bills could have saved almost double if they converted Morse's salary into bonus, versus the paycut.  Would have resulted in more future dead cap if cut.  Same with Hyde, didn't change this years cap so they don't have future dead cap if they cut him.

These teams are working on two different timelines right now. Beane is trying to prepare the cap for when Allen is being paid top dollar. The Bucs have a ton of cap space starting in 2023 and will either have Brady on a discount or a rookie salary QB by then so it makes a ton of sense for them to push money out into the years where they don't need it vs. Buffalo avoiding that fate because they know they're going to need the money.

• Like (+1) 5

12 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

something we can and should also conceivably do to keep Williams at OT?  And FA Edge signing?

And even Feliciano, perhpas Milano.  Less holes to fill/rookies to rely on the better.  

4 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

These teams are working on two different timelines right now. Beane is trying to prepare the cap for when Allen is being paid top dollar. The Bucs have a ton of cap space starting in 2023 and will either have Brady on a discount or a rookie salary QB by then so it makes a ton of sense for them to push money out into the years where they don't need it vs. Buffalo avoiding that fate because they know they're going to need the money.

good points.  Depends on how much Buffalo will need with the Allen extension, conceivably it could be loaded in a manner where the cap hit is at the end?  Kicking the can on good players makes sense because the cap always (barring global pandemic) goes up.  

Just now, RyanC883 said:

something we can and should also conceivably do to keep Williams at OT?  And FA Edge signing?

And even Feliciano, perhpas Milano.  Less holes to fill/rookies to rely on the better.  

As I mentioned above, I would think Beane will be a lot more hesitant about doing stuff like this due to the fact that we have guys like Allen and Edmunds due for major contracts in the next year or two. It's one thing to shift someone like Diggs' money into the future since you're keeping him long-term anyways, but voidable deals like this where you're guaranteeing to be paying $4+ mil per year for players that aren't on the roster is a lot trickier when you're already going to be in a tight cap situation in the future than it is for a team like Tampa that has clean books long-term.

1 hour ago, junior12thman92 said:

Can we do this on every deal. Seems illegal. Lets give Allen a 5 year $250M deal with 10 voidable years so it is a $10M cap hit...