Bucs Re-sign Levonte David.

5 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Can we do this on every deal. Seems illegal. Lets give Allen a 5 year $250M deal with 10 voidable years so it is a $10M cap hit...

There is a limit on how many years you can do this (I think it's that the bonus can only be spread over 5 years or something but not entirely sure).

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Allen I understand, but Edmunds? I’d be less concerned about having money ready for him. 

I personally would agree with you but I think McBeane will make him one of the highest paid LBs in the league unless he takes a step back this year.

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea see I just don’t understand how you justify that if he plays like he did last season this year.... it would be a bad use of resources. This season is huge for Edmunds. More of the slow reactions/lack of making any game changing plays/missed tackles and you have to strongly consider letting him walk and finding an upgrade.(After his 5th year, because they will most def pick up his option)

The difference between him and David or even White is massive, IMO. 

Agreed again. I understand with Edmunds age, there's always going to be an allure there pretty much, but he's been in the NFL 3 years now and I just don't see the trajectory from him that we need. I think he's been roughly an average LB during his career so far. David is an incredible player and for my money the #1 LB in the NFL; no doubt Edmunds is nowhere near him right now.

I personally would not feel comfortable signing Edmunds long-term unless he takes a significant step forwards this upcoming year but I don't think McBeane see him that way; I could be wrong about that.

5 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

Pretty much just means a ton of dead cap after these two years.  Something I think the Bills should do.  This cap is going up, get some immediate gains, for future strain. 

The problem with that is Allen's future years is going to be a big amount of our cap. I think we could see the Bills do a lot of contracts similar to the Jefferson/Butler deals unless there's someone they are really comfortable with. Personally I like going toward lesser proven guys with upside. It's why I've mentioned Dewuane Smooth as an edge rusher option.

David is the better player, difference is he didn't make it to the open market.  With Milano hitting FA and having all interested teams able to drive up his value, he might come close or even eclipse David.

I believe David probably could've gotten another $1.5-2M per had he gone to the highest bidder........but factoring in no stare income tax in FL for his 8 home games & staying with a championship caliber team, I totally get it

BTW when it comes to Milano I feel like:

$9-10M per is good team valuable and very doable

$11M per is probably the fair value

$12-$12.5 per is a win for Milano and a bit of a premium price

$13-14M per is dumb money

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Allen I understand, but Edmunds? I’d be less concerned about having money ready for him. 

And if you were Beane, we'd worry about your concerns about that.

Edmunds played very well the last half of the year, after he got over his injury. And he did so without a genuine space eater in front of him clearing things up. And a space eater is a regular feature of a McDermott defense, something he needs for the LBs to function the way he likes.

Some people here don't like the guy. That's clear. The Bills do, though, and that's clear too.

You do want a guy as young as Edmunds to keep developing. Did you know he's only 22 years old, by the way? A guy his age is generally getting stronger and smarter with experience, and that's what we've seen so far. Now, he could maybe regress and be gone. That could happen. But there's no particular reason to think it will. He's a young guy, he's developing, and next year he's likely to have Lotulelei playing the space eater role in front of him. Maybe someone to spell Star as well.

Edited by Thurman#1

4 hours ago, Estro said:

David is the better player, difference is he didn't make it to the open market.  With Milano hitting FA and having all interested teams able to drive up his value, he might come close or even eclipse David.

I believe David probably could've gotten another $1.5-2M per had he gone to the highest bidder........but factoring in no stare income tax in FL for his 8 home games & staying with a championship caliber team, I totally get it

BTW when it comes to Milano I feel like:

$9-10M per is good team valuable and very doable

$11M per is probably the fair value

$12-$12.5 per is a win for Milano and a bit of a premium price

$13-14M per is dumb money

David is probably better, though it's easier to play LB when your DL gets as much pressure in the pass game as Tampa Bay's does. But Milano is a premium off-ball linebacker, one of the better ones in the league.

But David could also have gotten more if he'd gone to the open market. He gave his team a home-town discount.

I think $13 to $14M could easily be seen as very reasonable for Milano. But not for Buffalo. We're tight on cap and need to consider other factors than how much Milano is really worth. The values you give are IMO a reasonable summary of what Buffalo's POV might reasonably be on what Milano is worth to us. But to the market, a guy with his skills could easily be worth more and turn out to be considered a very good signing.

On the other hand, this is a bad year to be a free agent. Especially at a position where you're not directly affecting the QB the way a tackle, an Edge, a WR or a CB do. Maybe he doesn't this year get what he would have gotten last year or would get next year. If so, the Bills might have a good shot at getting him back.

15 hours ago, DCOrange said:

These teams are working on two different timelines right now. Beane is trying to prepare the cap for when Allen is being paid top dollar. The Bucs have a ton of cap space starting in 2023 and will either have Brady on a discount or a rookie salary QB by then so it makes a ton of sense for them to push money out into the years where they don't need it vs. Buffalo avoiding that fate because they know they're going to need the money.

We are not even sure how good Allen is.  Go all out to win a Superbowl.  Worry about the future cap, when its going to sky rocket in future.  If Bills play it safe this offseason, the conference championship will be the peak we make it to.

Milano could still get over $12.5M per simply because:

1. He's hitting the open market; David did not and David almost certainly could have gotten more if he did.
  2. He's now the unquestioned #1 LB on the market.

It's possible that the cap dip this year makes teams more careful with their money, but it still wouldn't surprise me if Milano gets something in that range.

7 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

And if you were Beane, we'd worry about your concerns about that.

Edmunds played very well the last half of the year, after he got over his injury. And he did so without a genuine space eater in front of him clearing things up. And a space eater is a regular feature of a McDermott defense, something he needs for the LBs to function the way he likes.

Some people here don't like the guy. That's clear. The Bills do, though, and that's clear too.

You do want a guy as young as Edmunds to keep developing. Did you know he's only 22 years old, by the way? A guy his age is generally getting stronger and smarter with experience, and that's what we've seen so far. Now, he could maybe regress and be gone. That could happen. But there's no particular reason to think it will. He's a young guy, he's developing, and next year he's likely to have Lotulelei playing the space eater role in front of him. Maybe someone to spell Star as well.

I really don't understand why we keep saying these things about Star.  He's not a space eater and he doesn't take on double teams and we've all witnessed getting ran on worse when he was playing.  I literally have dozens and dozens of plays with video cut outs proving it.

On 3/9/2021 at 5:05 PM, DCOrange said:

As I mentioned above, I would think Beane will be a lot more hesitant about doing stuff like this due to the fact that we have guys like Allen and Edmunds due for major contracts in the next year or two. It's one thing to shift someone like Diggs' money into the future since you're keeping him long-term anyways, but voidable deals like this where you're guaranteeing to be paying $4+ mil per year for players that aren't on the roster is a lot trickier when you're already going to be in a tight cap situation in the future than it is for a team like Tampa that has clean books long-term.

good points.  I’m still not sold on Edmunds long term as a big money guy.  Seems slightly above replacement level that some team overpays for