6 Dr. Seuss Books Won't Be Published for Racist Images

T&C

43 minutes ago, B-Man said:

You are making the (common) mistake of lumping all groups together to fit your opinion.

You appear to be referring to religious zealots

not Conservatives.

Conservatism = individual freedom and responsibility.

Liberalism , not so much.............that is why Seuss is being misjudged by the present day Left.

The people wanting to ban the books are the religious right.

But it doesn’t matter which side they’re on, it’s an outcry to ban books and you hear nothing from the right about protecting those books.

as you said “Of course there is no link for "no outcry from the right" because it is completely false, made up out of the whole-cloth of your bias.”

1. It’s not made up as the link shows. Books with left leaning ideas are being censored or attempted to be censored by the religious right.

2. there is no outcry from the right because why? You say they care about freedoms, but they sure are complaining a ton about Dr. Suess but they complain zero about the other boos the religious right has sought to ban. Why is that?

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Motorin' said:

Nancy Green didn't come up with the formula for Aunt Jemima pancakes. The Pearl Milling company did, 40 years before they hired her at a casting call to play Aunt Jemima at live events. 

The owner of the company saw a minstrel show featuring a mammy character named Aunt Jemima, and decided to brand his pancake mix with the popular trope. It was popular because it communicated to white people that black women were happy in their servitude. 

b248eb5ef0e0649a42a42ea74c5ce8b5.jpg

Just in case anyone is into racist relics from the past, you can bid on Dr. Seuss drawings of slavery: https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.artnet.com/market/racist-dr-seuss-drawing-auction-302586/amp-page

so when you bought pancake mix you saw this black face on the brand and thought about slavery and minstrel shows and it offended you? so now that you see pearl milling company as a logo your more at ease at the breakfast table? 

even though i put a story that said her descendants and community felt her dipiction was a homage to her. your thoughts on the subject override the people most closely associated to it? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

You are making the (common) mistake of lumping all groups together to fit your opinion.

You appear to be referring to religious zealots

not Conservatives.

Conservatism = individual freedom and responsibility.

Liberalism , not so much.............that is why Seuss is being misjudged by the present day Left.

In my experience there seems to be a religious fervor to both sides.

Conservatives of late showing a propensity towards excessive hyperbole, conspiracy rhetoric, and demagoguery.

And

Liberals with such narrow tolerances for what is acceptable both politically and socially they are anything but.... liberal.

Both are absurd oxymorons of their alleged platforms.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

No, they were never intended to be racist.  Yes, an Asian individual like my daughter could look at them and be offended by some of the pictures.  So 50 years later you fix that.  No big deal.

We often agree but here we don't. The idea that these books would do harm to anyone is preposterous....but... if they do, I suggest adults don't read them to their kids or grandkids.  The kids aren't buying the books for themselves!  My son-in-law is of Asian decent.  He was read these books as a kid, and he now reads them to my grandson...with no harm implied or done.

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

We often agree but here we don't. The idea that these books would do harm to anyone is preposterous....but... if they do, I suggest adults don't read them to their kids or grandkids.  The kids aren't buying the books for themselves!  My son-in-law is of Asian decent.  He was read these books as a kid, and he now reads them to my grandson...with no harm implied or done.

And decades later when you see there are stereotypes there’s nothing wrong with fixing it.  Did the books do permanent harm?  No.  Can they be improved?  Yes.  And what is the harm in doing so?

5 minutes ago, Buffarukus said:

so when you bought pancake mix you saw this black face on the brand and thought about slavery and minstrel shows and it offended you? so now that you see pearl milling company as a logo your more at ease at the breakfast table? 

even though i put a story that said her descendants and community felt her dipiction was a homage to her. your thoughts on the subject override the people most closely associated to it? 

Quaker, which is owned by Pepsico, made the choice revert to the original Pearl Milling Company. I had nothing to do with it. I wasn't offended by anything, but understand why they would want to stop using a racist trope. 

What I find illuminating is the extent to which right wingers will go to express outrage and offense against companies making choices to repair there racist past.

It's almost like the people most offended by Quaker attempting to repair it's racist past are angry that they would admit that there was something to repair. 

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

And decades later when you see there are stereotypes there’s nothing wrong with fixing it.  Did the books do permanent harm?  No.  Can they be improved?  Yes.  And what is the harm in doing so?

As one who works in a creative field, I'm a proponent of the purity of an artist's work.  Should we go back and repaint all of the paintings in the Louvre?  Of course not.  Everyone needs to relax.  If someone wants to make new books, make them. New books are written every day. 

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

As one who works in a creative field, I'm a proponent of the purity of an artist's work.  Should we go back and repaint all of the paintings in the Louvre?  Of course not.  Everyone needs to relax.  If someone wants to make new books, make them. New books are written every day. 

The publishers can simply reprint these 6 books with updated artwork.  Or not.  It’s their call and it appears they’ve made it.

You honestly should stop making exaggerated comparisons like repainting all the pictures in the Louvre.  It detracts from your arguments and makes you look silly.

16 hours ago, T&C said:

What in the ***** is going on with this world? 

America going woke and cancel culture. (Movies and tv shows, schools, public lots of places heading this way as well) Been following this long time. There is possibly more changes.  There making it more worse for people. 

To me this is the best to do by Martin Luther King how we all to do for others. 

"I have a dream than one day my children will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character" Martin Luther King

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

America going woke and cancel culture. (Movies and tv shows, schools, public lots of places heading this way as well) Been following this long time. There is possibly more changes.  There making it more worse for people. 

"I have a dream than one day my children will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character" Martin Luther King

This cancel culture stuff is fake.  Societies undergoes changes with time.  Businesses adapt to that.  Again, in this particular case no one that has a rational brain is calling Theodore Seuss a racist.  But in his time people of certain ethnicities were drawn in particular ways or characterized in certain ways.  Like the Asian workers in his books.  Or Hop Sing on Bonanza.  As society changes such stereotypes are considered inappropriate, and as such businesses don't want to alienate customers, and make decisions on that basis.  If you are say a white Anglo-Saxon like me, and you decide to no longer buy Dr. Suess books because they don't keep the stereotypical pictures, what does that say about you or me?

We absolutely should live up to reverend King's standard.  we're not there yet.  A Vietnamese restaurant near my daughter was vandalized last week just because they are Asian; terrible racist slogans printed on their walls and now they feel forced to close.  she has had racist comments made towards her because of where she's born.  Dr. King has set the ideal standard; we have a ways to go to get there.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Not sure if it is as extreem as all that America doom and gloom.

We just live in an age where media and social media serve as echo chambers for extreem reactionary takes on the mundane.

10 or so years ago the Suess foundation taking an action like this would be meh...books cease publication all the time for a variety of reason, usually because they are not profitable to print.

If anything, the racially divisive early works of Seuss are now limited edition works and may be worth more to those that collect such things.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

This cancel culture stuff is fake. 

10 minutes ago, B-Man said:

https://redstate.com/brandon_morse/2021/03/03/the-left-is-now-trying-to-sell-the-idea-that-cancel-culture-doesnt-exist-n336504

The Left Is Now Trying to Sell the Idea that Cancel Culture Doesn't Exist

by Brandon Morse

65cdd35f-0d05-4a02-b483-e3a148ef95a6-730

The left has a habit that it practices when it runs up against undeniable hypocrisy and it’s doing so now with cancel culture. It’s a tactic that first requires the denial of a thing existing, and then redefining the word to better fit their needs.

Cancel culture is an undeniable thing happening in our society right now. People, businesses, organizations, movies, shows, and more have been absolutely ruined because the left gets together a mob who trends something or someone into infamy. This person or thing becomes too unsafe to work with for brands and that person is effectively left with very little and with few prospects. Sometimes the person being canceled lands on their feet, or sometimes it will just cost a brand their reputation, but oftentimes it results in the ruination of lives.

Cancel culture is clearly unpopular with the American people. As reported by Politico, 49 percent of Americans believe cancel culture has gone too far while only 27 percent think it’s a positive force in America.

The problem is that cancel culture is too useful of a tool for the left to just drop. Even the threat of being canceled keeps a lot of people in line and agreeing with whatever the left tells them to agree with on any given instance. So what to do?

Redefine it.

We’ve been hearing from the left lately that there’s no such thing as “cancel culture,” as if the cancellations we’ve seen over the past couple of years weren’t blindingly obvious. They try to put new names on it to spin it. Briant Stelter called the cancellation of “Lou Dobbs Tonight” over advertisers not willing to associate themselves with the program after his stance that the election was stolen “consequence culture.”

{snip}

It’s hard to square the left’s logic with actual logic but the leftist bubble can’t allow itself to be mistaken or wrong about anything. It wants to have its accusatory cake and eat it too, and what we’re witnessing right now is the left’s attempts at coming up with a way to do the horrible things they do while still looking like the good guys, or even better, the victims.

To see the outcome of this, we can look at how the left redefined racism.

Racism is, pure and simple, hatred or prejudice against a certain race or skin color. It’s not a difficult concept to grasp.

In its cultural conquest, however, the left needed villains to turn people against and it found a solid patsy in the form of white people. The left has made white people a cultural villain for years now, blaming almost every problem under the sun as something white people caused in the first place. Comedians, movies, and television shows can make white people the butt of a joke for their skin color while doing so to any other race is absolutely forbidden. Blue check journalists on Twitter can actually make overtly racist statements against white people with no blowback whatsoever.

The answer is, redefine what constitutes racism.

Professors in universities began trotting out racism as being prejudiced or hateful against a certain race or ethnicity, but now in order to constitute “racism,” it must now also include power. So (racism = prejudice + power).

With this in mind, they can proclaim that white people have all the power and their racism can continue, now redefined as reactive feelings toward white oppressors. It’s weaponized self-victimization.

The left is now trying to do the same with cancel culture. It cannot allow cancel culture to be lost but it also can’t have it used as an example of just how the left is not, in fact, full of victims. It needs to continue the illusion that it’s the side doing the right thing and fighting for the oppressed and downtrodden.

The left is far from innocent. It’s racist, intolerant, and ready to destroy anyone who disagrees with them or gets in their way. No one is safe, including the cancellers.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

This cancel culture stuff is fake.  Societies undergoes changes with time.  Businesses adapt to that.  Again, in this particular case no one that has a rational brain is calling Theodore Seuss a racist.  But in his time people of certain ethnicities were drawn in particular ways or characterized in certain ways.  Like the Asian workers in his books.  Or Hop Sing on Bonanza.  As society changes such stereotypes are considered inappropriate, and as such businesses don't want to alienate customers, and make decisions on that basis.  If you are say a white Anglo-Saxon like me, and you decide to no longer buy Dr. Suess books because they don't keep the stereotypical pictures, what does that say about you or me?

We absolutely should live up to reverend King's standard.  we're not there yet.  A Vietnamese restaurant near my daughter was vandalized last week just because they are Asian; terrible racist slogans printed on their walls and now they feel forced to close.  she has had racist comments made towards her because of where she's born.  Dr. King has set the ideal standard; we have a ways to go to get there.

Wow so sorry  Vietnamese people. :( Noone should go thru that. Hope they are ok. Nooone should do that to them so awful. :(  Love King's standard and how I do for others. He was such a amazing guy. Need him these days. His message works so well. Love that guy.

Ya respect you're freedom of speech. Cancel culture is real to me.  Many others agree with me. But the thing is I think there message getting out is worse way worse than Dr King said.  But that's what I think. Like you're posting oldmanfan. Always respect and what u have to say here. Really pleasure reading you're posts.

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Wow so sorry  Vietnamese people. :( Noone should go thru that. Hope they are ok. Nooone should do that to them so awful. :(  Love King's standard and how I do for others. He was such a amazing guy. Need him these days. His message works so well. Love that guy.

Ya respect you're freedom of speech. Cancel culture is real to me.  Many others agree with me. But the thing is I think there message getting out is worse way worse than Dr King said.  But that's what I think. Like you're posting oldmanfan. Always respect and what u have to say here. Really pleasure reading you're posts.

Right back at you.  Good dialog.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, B-Man said:

I'm going to guess you get all your information from right wing media sites.  There's an old saying:  if the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.  

No one is being "cancelled" and if people are losing their businesses and such it is because their comments are driving away customers.  For example, I as an Independent will not buy Goya products because their chair espouses ridiculous takes on the past election.  Same with Mr. Pillow.  I choose not to do business with companies whose chairmen would spout such junk.  If you can get more of your friends to make up that business, then they won't go out of business.  The free market is a wonderful thing.