Drew Brees renegotiates, now making the league minimum.

Draconator

16 hours ago, Putin said:

Am I the only one who believes that  Brees should just retire? I’m not questioning his will or commitment I just think physically he’s done , I think his arm is shot 

Put it this way, if this wasn’t purely for cap reasons and Brees did decide to play, at this stage of his career for what he brings to the table even at the veteran minimum he’d still be overpaid. 

18 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It doesn't really "save" that money. They'd never have had to pay it. He isn't playing. What it does, you are right, is reflect that reality early so that it is off the books before the league year restarts and the cap kicks back in. 

The other way they could do that of course is he could retire immediately but then that escalates all the already paid bonus money onto this year's cap rather than spreading it over two years.

We're arguing semantics.  True he was never going to see any of it.  But if he didn't take the pay cut now, the Saints would have to cut another $24M in a few weeks to be in cap compliance and he still wouldn't have seen the salary anyway.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Doc said:

We're arguing semantics.  True he was never going to see any of it.  But if he didn't take the pay cut now, the Saints would have to cut another $24M in a few weeks to be in cap compliance and he still wouldn't have seen the salary anyway.

Yea. It is about accounting not real money but it definitely helps the Saints, just doesn't save them anything.

Just signed a 2 year $50 million dollar deal...

This dude could barely throw the ball 10 yards in the playoff game...how is this going to work next year??

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He is retiring. He is just working with the team to do it in a way that manages the cap implications for the Saints. 

Apparently he is NOT retiring.

12 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Just signed a 2 year $50 million dollar deal...

This dude could barely throw the ball 10 yards in the playoff game...how is this going to work next year??

Apparently he is NOT retiring.

Where are you seeing that? I haven't seen that anywhere. 

22 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I feel like the Saints find some unique way to manipulate the salary cap every single offseason.

That's what all the teams that have been consistently successful during the salary cap era have done.   Back in the early 2000s, it was assumed that the salary cap would end the rise of dynastic teams like the Cowboys, 49ers, Bills of the 1990s.  Teams would use rookie contracts to build a team to make one or two runs at the playoffs and maybe the SB, and then sink like rocks under the weight of star contracts.   Some fans still have that mindset but the reality is that there are probably just as many if not more consistently successful teams between 2000 and 2020 than there were between 1980 and 2000. 

Teams have adjusted to the salary cap, and some have done a better job than others.  The key, IMO, is the quality of team management and ownership commitment to winning.  The good teams negotiate and re-negotiate player contracts to move money around so that they don't have to gut their rosters, and they can do this because they also have excellent collegiate and professional talent evaluators, so they also have younger talent able to step in.  They also have larger and better coaching and support staffs to bring young players up to speed faster, to figure out hide/make up for a lack of talent at one position, to keep players healthy, etc.   I think the successful teams probably spend more time and money on the administration, coaching, and support than do unsuccessful teams -- or they get more value for their money -- because they have astute management.

One of the reasons for the Bills long playoff drought was that their front office was stuck in the 1990s.  They didn't adjust to the modern NFL, and it cost them on the field.  It took new ownership and then a new management team to put them on the road to consistent success on the field.  Just four years removed from a seventeen year long playoff drought, the Bills came up just one win short of going back to the Super Bowl.  

The big test for the Bills management going forward will now be to "manipulate the salary cap" just like New Orleans and other successful teams have done in order to put as good or even better team on the field every season.  

• Agree 1

There really shouldn't be anything illegal about this.  The ONLY thing the Saints are accomplishing is to avoid Brees' retirement before the start of the league year, at which point all teams have to be in compliance of the salary cap.  He's only reducing salary that he wasn't going to earn anyhow.  I would imagine other teams have done versions of this move.

Edited by cage
  • Agree 1

He's retiring on June 2. If he retires after June 1, the Saints can split his dead money ($22M) over two years, 2021 and 2022, at $11M a piece.

If he retires right now, they are on the hook for $22M in dead cap this year.

All he did with this restructure is allow them to free some space before June 2, so they can make other moves in the meantime.

5 minutes ago, cage said:

There really shouldn't be anything illegal about this.  The ONLY think the Saints are accomplishing is to avoid retirement before the start of the league year, at which point all teams have to be in compliance of the salary cap.  He's only reducing salary that he wasn't going to earn anyhow.  I would imagine other teams have done versions of this move.

There's nothing illegal about it.  And again what they're actually accomplishing is not having to cut $24M more off the salary cap by the start of the league year.  Brees knows their cap situation and is being allowed to keep the rest of his signing bonus and wouldn't have retired until after June 1st (is there a post-June 1st retirement designation?) in any case.

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

He's retiring on June 2. If he retires after June 1, the Saints can split his dead money ($22M) over two years, 2021 and 2022, at $11M a piece.

If he retires right now, they are on the hook for $22M in dead cap this year.

All he did with this restructure is allow them to free some space before June 2, so they can make other moves in the meantime.

Actually they are only on the hook for $5.75M in 2021 and the remaining $11.5M in 2022.

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

Actually they are only on the hook for $5.75M in 2021 and the remaining $11.5M in 2022.

Nah, it's $22.6M in dead cap right now. Or half and half after June 2.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/drew-brees-mulling-nfl-retirement-saints-restructure-all-pros-contract-to-free-up-millions-in-cap-space/

"Should he retire now, the Saints can carry him on the roster until June 1 and officially retire him on June 2, which would split his dead money over 2021 and 2022 at roughly $11 million per year as opposed to taking the full weight of the hit upfront. If the contract went unchanged and Brees chooses to hang up his cleats, the Saints would suffer a $22.65 million hit -- the sum of what would now be divided by two."

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/drew-brees-4542/

21 minutes ago, Doc said:

Brees knows their cap situation and is being allowed to keep the rest of his signing bonus and wouldn't have retired until after June 1st (is there a post-June 1st retirement designation?) in any case.

There is post 1 June "waived retired" designation, yep. But you can't use it until the new league year has commenced and so if he were to retire now then the Saints are on the hook for all the unaccounted signing bonus in one hit.

24 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Nah, it's $22.6M in dead cap right now. Or half and half after June 2.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/drew-brees-mulling-nfl-retirement-saints-restructure-all-pros-contract-to-free-up-millions-in-cap-space/

"Should he retire now, the Saints can carry him on the roster until June 1 and officially retire him on June 2, which would split his dead money over 2021 and 2022 at roughly $11 million per year as opposed to taking the full weight of the hit upfront. If the contract went unchanged and Brees chooses to hang up his cleats, the Saints would suffer a $22.65 million hit -- the sum of what would now be divided by two."

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/drew-brees-4542/

Ah, I see where the discrepancy lies.  Beside signing bonus, he has a $5.4 restructure bonus.  Added to the 2021 amortized SB ($5.75M), you get $11.15M.  The following year will the remainder of the unamortized SB ($5.75M X 2).

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/6/2021 at 1:10 AM, Richard Noggin said:

I can explain that I was wrong, apparently, in thinking that player retirement automatically results in cap relief for that player's team. If Star retires this off-season, for example, then the Bills end up without his services AND a big dead cap hit that they can't get out of (until of course we consider whatever the eff Brees and the Saints just did). For more specifics you'd have to watch the podcast. Thompsett is pretty active in the chat during the broadcast, brings some serious cap smarts, and lets me know I'm wrong, much to the delight of all of us conversing.

it’s not difficult. 

you paid the guy money that hasn’t been accounted for in the cap yet. 

Dropping the salary reduces Drew’s short term number being carried without changing the dead money and then June 1 his dead money can be split over 2 seasons when he comes off the roster after that accounting deadline

10 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

It is worth remembering that Brees was still recovering from several broken ribs, a punctured lung, an injured foot, and a torn rotator cuff. Before those injuries he was doing fairly well this season. 

Maybe he heals up a bit and thinks "one more run!"

the entire storyline of September was that he had one of the worst “air yards per pass” in the league. Unless the shoulder was injured in the offseason, the issue isn’t going away. It was there before the rib injury.