Detail: From the Mind of Peyton Manning - extensive breakdown on Josh Allen

Very cool, 👍

He's very impressed by a number of Allen's throws.  Just says "Wow.  Wow.  Being hit while he threw that.  Wow" or words to that effect.

Points out a couple throws where he says "QBs, I do not advise that you try this at home" and what he'd do instead, but Josh has the arm to get it there (TD to Cole Beasley one example)

Says a throw some might see as behind Gilliam was deliberate, to protect him and allow him to get hit in the back and complete the catch instead of head-on

Says the timing between Allen and Diggs with no off-season is already impressive, and Minnesota might not want to watch this.

His details where Josh can improve:

-do "scan drills" to make sure his feet move with his eyes.  This improves accuracy.

-make sure shoulder is pointed at the target after scramble drill for better accuracy

-points out Josh's feet are too wide when he's under center, he should narrow his stance to avoid getting stepped on by guard (points out how Josh narrowly avoids this. also shows clip where he tripped up over his guard and fell in a critical situation).  Admits "now, Josh is a Large Human so this is easier said than done"

-make sure his hands are in the same place doing the same motions for a real and for a fake snap.  shows the view from the endzone how he can easily call "fake snap" because of Josh's hand position, says top defenses look for these cues and pick them apart so they're not fooled

Things where I'm not sure:

-Peyton dislikes where Josh transfers the ball from his right to left hand then back to avoid it getting stripped, he thinks two hands on the ball would be better than outright transfer (I think Josh does this so he can stiff arm guys...with his throwing arm.  Peyton would probably say, "buddy, don't stiff arm DEs with your throwing arm", so there's that.)

-Peyton thinks Beasley was running an option route and wasn't supposed to cross so close to Diggs - Diggs has to detour a bit to avoid him and the throw misses just wide.  I think I've seen this similar play run successfully as a sort of "rub" route, so I think it was quite deliberate although the timing and/or details of the route were just a little off in the 2nd game of the season.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 6

15 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It was discussed when it came out but at the time only available for ESPN+ subscribers

Nice to see it where the rest of us plebes can view

For context, do we know when this was put up?  Is it analysis on his 2nd year or is there some from this year also?

16 hours ago, RVJ said:

Peyton Manning....the same guy that backed Adam Gase for head coach. Not all coordinators are head coach material.

https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/10/new-york-jets-peyton-manning-recommended-coach-adam-gase/

How is this relevant to whether he is good at analyzing quarterback play? In addition we all make mistakes at times.

Allen reminds me of Peyton when he's at the line now.  I know a lot of QB's look over the defense and call audibles & that kind of thing - this was more of a general presence kind of thing, and only this past season (not his previous 2 seasons).

He has the kind of command that PM had at the line.  When he spots something in the defense, he'll walk up and down the line barking out either observations on that or changes to the play, and he is SO patient. Very aware of the clock, and seems to back off from snapping the ball sometimes 2-3 times leading up to the play, which I think has to have an effect on a defense.

He's like a general out there now, which is what PM was when he played.  

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, RVJ said:

Peyton Manning....the same guy that backed Adam Gase for head coach. Not all coordinators are head coach material.

https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/10/new-york-jets-peyton-manning-recommended-coach-adam-gase/

Truly elite players are different. It could be that Gase was the right guy for Manning's comeback ...

https://sny.tv/articles/why-jets-coach-adam-gase-and-peyton-manning-wanted-to-kill-each-other#:~:text=Jets head coach Adam Gase,other's throats to get there.&text=Manning revived his career under,a 37-year-old.

... but that he wasn't the right guy for Sam Darnold, and certainly isn't the right guy to lead a team full of guaranteed 100% "contains no future Hall of Famers" Jets.

16 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Awesome stuff, really enjoyed watching this as Manning was a brilliant NFL QB.

Perhaps he has more money then he needs as to why he isn't a HC on some NFL team.

Good to see Josh putting that IQ of his to work. Like John said, build a better O line!! 

Being a head coach requires more time than Manning is willing to invest.

He wants to coach his kids, do commercials, guest appearances, etc.