Source: LB Matt Milano looking for “top dollar” in FA

the more sort of breakdown tape i see of our LBs the past 3 seasons, the more i am convinced that in our D, milano's job is mentally much easier than edmunds.  milano is really good at getting places on the field, and he's gotten better at taking on blocks, but his tackling technique is not really clean and he gets himself out of position sometimes.  i've waffled back and forth, but i think if we can get a solid smart fundamental MLB (earlyish in the draft or even via FA if the money is right, a hyde/poyer type value) then sliding edmunds to OLB will make us all forget milano.

from what i can see, they both have very similar roles, but the MLB in our D ends up having to diagnose more than one gap, decide on depth, and then go make the tackle.  w our sad sack interior line play this season it left edumunds in the lurch way to often (his mistakes don'e help either).

looking back at carolina when mccorch was there, when their pass rush fell off and big guys got hurt the struggled, but they still mashed people up when luke was out for a few games, so the interplay between the line and the lbs is not lost on me.

one game that stands out a few years ago, was like 2014 or so carolina at SF.  some low scoring slug fest.  SF had a super physical gregg roman front, and carlina just straight up banged with them all day.  i think if we get a couple monsters in the gut and improve our passrush edmunds and whoever can play disruption and clean up and get us to that level.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Top dollar? Bills fans to Milano  

Well it was nice having you in a Buffalo for these years

Matt Milano should do what is best for him.  The Buffalo Bills should do what is best for them.  Those won't necessarily line up.

Posted Images

Every player should say he wants top dollar since it is a cutthroat business but from what I have heard about him from his high school coaches he values winning as much as money, so he is likely to take less than top dollar to stay on a good team.

3 hours ago, colin said:

sliding edmunds to OLB will make us all forget milano.

I don't know how many times this opinion has been shut down by the coaching staff. Edmunds will not be changing positions. 

On 2/19/2021 at 7:34 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

https://apnews.com/article/nfl-football-coronavirus-pandemic-matt-milano-buffalo-bills-78e5474366e94f75bf9ce7f5d26bfe50

actual article

He does point out that Beane said it was likely:

The quote I had written down was "He intends to, and he's earned the right to, test free agency" which makes it sound as though the Bills knew it was a done deal that Milano intended (at the point of Beane's presser) to test the FA market.

Some aspects I find a little strange about this:

1) Wawrow "teased" it on twitter, as if it were big news, instead of incremental news "Beane said he intended to do it, now there's a source with direct knowledge saying it's gonna happen".  That's up to him, of course, but the next time I see this kinda tweet from him

Imma be 🙄

2) The timing, as someone else pointed out - with FA actually 4 weeks away

It's probably not in the Bills interest to tip their hand this early.  But, if I were Milano's agent and wanted to drum up more business with limited opportunities for F2F contact with club personnel (limit on Sr Bowl, virtual combine), it makes perfect sense.

3) the rationale given

Milano and his agent probably have some idea what offers have been "hypothetically" floated his way and how sure of a bet they are.  Would the Bills?  🤷‍♂️

Some of the stats brought up are strange -

I'm sure it's truth, but it seems like something someone comes up with when they're looking for a way to highlight their guy, y'know?

2019 was by far Milano's best year, with 15 games played, 101 combined tackles,  9 PD, a forced fumble, 7 TFL, 7 QB hits, and 1.5 sacks.  But he didn't have any picks and only 1 fumble recovery.

My feeling is if Milano had had a similar sort of year this season, the Bills would have been turning over rocks in their cap situation to find the money to sign him. 

But instead, the "11 games this season" Wawrow cites (I find 10 regular season plus 3 playoff games) over states his availability.  Milano has generally played 100% of the defensive snaps plus substantial ST snaps since becoming a starter.  But this season, that was true in only one (1) of the regular season games, Week 3.

Total speculation: I'm wondering if the Bills made Milano an offer he considered insulting - not because of $$ because that's always going to start apart and get negotiated, but because the Bills made a bunch of contingent, in per-game and performance bonuses.

The timing of it was the timing. A day after the NFL announced the minimum cap was going to be at least $180M, led to people speculating on the twitter of whether that changed the economics enough for the Bills to take a shot at re-signing Milano.

Read as much between the lines as you want, nothing Beane said entirely ruled out Milano from being re-signed. Beane didn't even suggest he "expected" Milano to hit free agency. He simply said, he's earned the right to do so.

Like it or not, I deal in absolutes, which is why the story was clear in saying Matt Milano will test free agency, as opposed to "intends to" or is "planning to" test free agency. That, under AP sourcing standards, wouldn't have been enough for me to write the story.

I don't think I need to apologize for shedding further light on the matter.

I asked the question, and received a definitive response.

jw

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2
2 hours ago, john wawrow said:

The timing of it was the timing. A day after the NFL announced the minimum cap was going to be at least $180M, led to people speculating on the twitter of whether that changed the economics enough for the Bills to take a shot at re-signing Milano.

Read as much between the lines as you want, nothing Beane said entirely ruled out Milano from being re-signed. Beane didn't even suggest he "expected" Milano to hit free agency. He simply said, he's earned the right to do so.

Like it or not, I deal in absolutes, which is why the story was clear in saying Matt Milano will test free agency, as opposed to "intends to" or is "planning to" test free agency. That, under AP sourcing standards, wouldn't have been enough for me to write the story.

Were you asked to apologize or something?  Seems like a strange response.

• Like (+1) 1
7 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I'm still wondering why a minimalist needs top dollar in FA. 

His rookie contract should have set him up for life. 

Gotta keep the ladies happy. They don’t call him Guido Torpedo for nuthin 

• Haha (+1) 4
12 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Every player should say he wants top dollar since it is a cutthroat business but from what I have heard about him from his high school coaches he values winning as much as money, so he is likely to take less than top dollar to stay on a good team.

Money wasn't his big issue in High School?

• Haha (+1) 2
2 hours ago, john wawrow said:

jw

Appreciate the story.  Just seems strange that the Bills and Milano skipped right to Milano is testing free agency more than 3 weeks from free agency.  I guess that implies Bills won’t be using franchise or transition tag on him and that they’re done negotiating if they had any negotiations at all.  Not familiar with any other high profile free agents across the League where this has been publicly stated except for Milano. Why would Beane give other teams a 3 week head start on knowing Milano is gonna be available if Beane has any interest in retaining him?  Bye Matt.  

32 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I'm still wondering why a minimalist needs top dollar in FA. 

His rookie contract should have set him up for life. 

Maybe he doesn't like a lot of personal possessions in his daily life, but he wants money for other reasons - family, business plans, world travel, buy a yacht...

36 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Maybe he doesn't like a lot of personal possessions in his daily life, but he wants money for other reasons - family, business plans, world travel, buy a yacht...

It’s a simple yacht. No frills.

11 hours ago, klos63 said:

Money wasn't his big issue in High School?

I did not know him personally but the majority of his high school comes from well off parents. His high school pulls from neighborhoods that former athletes live in. I doubt money was an issue to him like so many NFL players.

22 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

I don't know how many times this opinion has been shut down by the coaching staff. Edmunds will not be changing positions. 

never say never

On 2/24/2021 at 8:18 AM, Buffalo Timmy said:

What high school? 

On 2/1/2021 at 11:38 AM, gonzo1105 said:

I think were gonna see both Milano and Daryl Williams go. They are going to get big money elsewhere. It seems to mean Beane will be digging into bargains/cut players this year. This is the beginning of the replacing Free Agents with "Draft well" guys.

I got a feeling that if we re-sign Williams, he’s going to regress. 

On 2/24/2021 at 9:21 PM, BuffaloRebound said:

Appreciate the story.  Just seems strange that the Bills and Milano skipped right to Milano is testing free agency more than 3 weeks from free agency.  I guess that implies Bills won’t be using franchise or transition tag on him and that they’re done negotiating if they had any negotiations at all.  Not familiar with any other high profile free agents across the League where this has been publicly stated except for Milano. Why would Beane give other teams a 3 week head start on knowing Milano is gonna be available if Beane has any interest in retaining him?  Bye Matt.  

My guess is the Bills decided Milano is not a gotta keep player regardless of the cost.  So they decided to let him get an offer or two and then circle back to the Bills and see what they are willing to offer him. 

It reminds me of Shaq Lawson last year.  The Bills wanted Shaq back but were only willing to go so high and Miami offered him more money.  Milano is likely leaving because some team will offer him a contract that Bills can't/won't match.

Edited by DCbillsfan