Chad Wheeler (Seattle OT) charged with Felony Assault in DV case

Benefit of the doubt and all that, but there sounds to be a lot of physical evidence here.

If the NFL means anything it says, that's Curtains for this guy.  Seattle already cut him

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/28/sports/football/chad-wheeler-nfl-domestic-violence.html

According to the prosecutor’s charging papers, Wheeler attacked his girlfriend in her bedroom, choking her at times with both hands until she lost consciousness. After she awoke, he choked her again until she became unconscious. She told the police that when she tried to roll away from Wheeler, he grabbed her left arm and ripped her body back toward him.

When she awoke the second time, the woman told the police, Wheeler returned to the bedroom and said, “Oh, you’re still alive.” She then said she went into the bathroom, locked the door and sent text messages to her family, friends and Wheeler’s father, asking that they call 911. The woman also called 911 and told an operator she was being “killed.”

(...)

After the woman was taken to the hospital, doctors determined she had a fractured arm and a dislocated elbow. Her face was swollen in a way that doctors believed was the result of choking. The woman also had lesions on her neck, some in the shape of fingertips.

According to prosecutors, Wheeler is 6 feet 7 inches and 310 pounds and the woman is 5-foot-9 and 145 pounds.

• Vomit 1
  • Angry 2

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Horrifying story.

Some other accounts appear to omit critical details, like "doctors determined she had a fractured arm and a dislocated elbow. Her face was swollen in a way that doctors believed was the result of choking. The woman also had lesions on her neck, some in the shape of fingertips."

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/chad-wheelers-disturbing-assault-allegations-fury-nfl

The woman involved told investigators Wheeler reportedly told her to stand up and bow to him, and when she refused to do that, he threw her on the bed, choked her and tried to smother her, according to court documents. The woman said she tried to fight back, but Wheeler allegedly twisted her arm and she lost consciousness.

Nothing there about a broken arm or about being choked into unconsciousness such that her face was swollen and she had fingertip-shaped lesions on her neck 🤷‍♂️

Is this the guy where his girl snuck out of the bedroom into the bathroom while he was eating and he said “oh you’re still alive” 

Nevermind I seen it after expanding. 
Terrible situation. Sounds like she really could of been murdered that night 

Edited by Rc2catch
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

If proven true he should be gone gone. Not enough punishment for something like this.

A random side note to this is that its somehow being turned into a race issue, with people saying the league is going easy on him cause they haven't punished him at all.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/30/players-still-want-nfl-to-take-action-against-chad-wheeler/

Not sure how much that makes sense given the context, but there it is. I guess everything can be made about race nowadays. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

4 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

If proven true he should be gone gone. Not enough punishment for something like this.

A random side note to this is that its somehow being turned into a race issue, with people saying the league is going easy on him cause they haven't punished him at all.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/30/players-still-want-nfl-to-take-action-against-chad-wheeler/

Not sure how much that makes sense given the context, but there it is. I guess everything can be made about race nowadays. 

Historically, hasn't the league waited for the legal process and/or a league investigation to play out before taking action?

If he were still on a team, he might be placed on the Commissioner's Exempt List, but that's really tool for clubs, where the NFL gives clubs an extra roster spot for a player on their roster who is under investigation, until the investigation completes.  Since the Seahawks cut him, it doesn't apply

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Historically, hasn't the league waited for the legal process and/or a league investigation to play out before taking action?

If he were still on a team, he might be placed on the Commissioner's Exempt List, but that's really tool for clubs, where the NFL gives clubs an extra roster spot for a player on their roster who is under investigation, until the investigation completes.  Since the Seahawks cut him, it doesn't apply

Yeah.. I don't get the complaint. According to the article I posted (By Florio, so it's very possible he's making it up - cause he's an idiot) there are players who want to see if he's punished like black players have been... To me that goes this way:

"Ay commish! Why aren't you punishing this white guy who was a below average football player and will never ever sign with another team when you punished this black guy about to play in the SB for threatening his girlfriend who he had previously beat all to hell?" 

It seems pretty stupid. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Yeah.. I don't get the complaint. According to the article I posted (By Florio, so it's very possible he's making it up - cause he's an idiot) there are players who want to see if he's punished like black players have been... To me that goes this way:

"Ay commish! Why aren't you punishing this white guy who was a below average football player and will never ever sign with another team when you punished this black guy about to play in the SB for threatening his girlfriend who he had previously beat all to hell?" 

It seems pretty stupid. 

I'm not entirely sure what case you're talking about here, but the Florio link mentioned Ezekiel Elliot.

The timeline for the Zeke Elliot case goes something like this:

1) incident, photos of injuries, allegations made July 2016

2) investigation takes place by NFL and DA's office

3) city attorneys' office announces no charges in September 2016

4) NFL suspends Elliot in August 2017

So for a similar timeline, the NFL should announce discipline against the player in February 2022

24 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm not entirely sure what case you're talking about here, but the Florio link mentioned Ezekiel Elliot.

The timeline for the Zeke Elliot case goes something like this:

1) incident, photos of injuries, allegations made July 2016

2) investigation takes place by NFL and DA's office

3) city attorneys' office announces no charges in September 2016

4) NFL suspends Elliot in August 2017

So for a similar timeline, the NFL should announce discipline against the player in February 2022

I meant Tyreek Hill. 

the issue is that there really isn’t a reason to punish him unless he’s in the league / a team has interest in bringing him back into the league. I doubt either of those happen so to say “you punished these guys who are still in the league, but not this guy whose not” is just dumb.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Some other accounts appear to omit critical details, like "doctors determined she had a fractured arm and a dislocated elbow. Her face was swollen in a way that doctors believed was the result of choking. The woman also had lesions on her neck, some in the shape of fingertips."

I know the whole two sides thing but if those are her actual injuries she'd have to be crazy committed for this to be a ruse.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I meant Tyreek Hill. 

the issue is that there really isn’t a reason to punish him unless he’s in the league / a team has interest in bringing him back into the league. I doubt either of those happen so to say “you punished these guys who are still in the league, but not this guy whose not” is just dumb.

Tyreek Hill should have faced discipline.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

He isn't on a team, technically not an NFL player so I understand why the league has remained silent. Though they did make it clear that Antonio Brown would be placed on the exempt list if he were signed while under investigation. So maybe do that?

But again, Antonio Brown had a legit shot to get signed, this guy has zero chance for a contract right now. 

The guy should spend the max in jail/prison that is available when he is found guilty though.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Before blaming the NFL, start with law enforcement.....then the NFL is fine to criticize.  If Wheeler and Hill were cellmates the NFL wouldn’t have to do anything.

All respect, but as a private business, in my personal opinion, the NFL has a right to hold a different standard of proof than the "innocent until proven beyond a reasonable doubt" standard of the criminal justice system, and all the other factors that roll into a decision to press charges and prosecute or no, settle and go to trial.    They have a right to say "this is our code of conduct, like it or leave".

I know my employer had a code of conduct for me and the same standard.  Don't talk to the media, etc etc etc.

My problem with the NFL isn't the idea that they should limit themselves to disciplining players only for prosecuted, convicted criminal offenses; I don't buy that personally.  My problem is that they seem very inconsistent in who they discipline for what, and when.